[sci.electronics] Pizo-electric Ink Jets

garnett@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) (10/16/90)

Does anyone know of any manufacturers currently using pizo-electric
ink-jet technology? Many original ink-jet printers used a pizo-crystal
driven "pump" to deliver their charge.  (most current ink jets use
THERMAL ink jet semiconductor devices, which is not desireable.)
The goal is a device which can deliver a very thin jet of fluid, with
minimal despiration. Other systems which can do this are also of
interest. Low cost is not a major factor.
Fuel injection type soloniods may be of interest, but the ones
I'm aware of have too much fanout, and a larger than desired flow.
Roger Garnett  (garnett@THEORY.TN.CORNELL.EDU) (607) 255-2522
Cornell University Agricultural Economics       Ithaca, N.Y.

In article <1990Oct16.142553.26623@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, garnett@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) writes:
> Does anyone know of any manufacturers currently using pizo-electric
> ink-jet technology? Many original ink-jet printers used a pizo-crystal
> driven "pump" to deliver their charge.  (most current ink jets use
> THERMAL ink jet semiconductor devices, which is not desireable.)
> The goal is a device which can deliver a very thin jet of fluid, with
> minimal despiration. Other systems which can do this are also of
> interest. Low cost is not a major factor.

	You might wish to look at the various ink jet product marking
systems used to put lot number and date codes on cans, bottles and other
packages.  Almost all of these devices utilize ink jet technology.

	One particular model that I have extensively seen in my travels
is called "Videojet" and is manufactured by A. B. Dick.  "Videojet" will
label containers on a conveyor belt from at least one inch away.  I do
not know what internal pumping mechanism is used for this product, however.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

scottb@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Scott Bigelow) (10/17/90)

Larry writes:

>	You might wish to look at the various ink jet product marking
>systems used to put lot number and date codes on cans, bottles and other
>packages.  Almost all of these devices utilize ink jet technology.

>	One particular model that I have extensively seen in my travels
>is called "Videojet" and is manufactured by A. B. Dick.  "Videojet" will
>label containers on a conveyor belt from at least one inch away.  I do
>not know what internal pumping mechanism is used for this product, however.

>Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
>VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
>FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry
----------

The Videojet system uses a continuous ink jet technology.  The ink is pumped
through a nozzle (I believe with a pulsating pump).  As the stream of ink
travels through the air it breaks up into tiny droplets.  Just before the
droplet separates from the stream it is electrically charged.  The charged
ink droplet then passes through two sets of charged plates (at 90 degrees
from each other).  One set to control vertical motion of the drop and the other
set to control horizontal.

Look for date codes on soda cans and bottles to see the results.  I think a
typical system runs about $20k.

Scott

jad@dayton.UUCP (J. Deters) (10/19/90)

> Article <1990Oct16.142553.26623@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> From: garnett@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)

>Does anyone know of any manufacturers currently using pizo-electric
>ink-jet technology? Many original ink-jet printers used a pizo-crystal
>driven "pump" to deliver their charge.  (most current ink jets use
>THERMAL ink jet semiconductor devices, which is not desireable.)

We have Diconix Dijit printers (Diconix is a division of Kodak) in our
stores.  I believe they use a piezo-electric crystal pump.  The
jet is extremely fine, even for distances of longer than an inch.

-j
--
J. Deters                            Ask me about my PS/2.        //
INTERNET:  jad@dayton.DHDSC.MN.ORG   Then,                       //

garnett@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) (10/19/90)

In article <7542@dayton.UUCP> jad@dayton.UUCP (J. Deters) writes:
>> Article <1990Oct16.142553.26623@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> From: garnett@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
>
>>Does anyone know of any manufacturers currently using pizo-electric
>>ink-jet technology? Many original ink-jet printers used a pizo-crystal
>>driven "pump" to deliver their charge.
>
>Diconix printers

Thought of them- They are listed as a "Thermal Inkjet Printer", which I
beleive works by the heating of an element (semiconductor?) in the jet,
which causes a bubble to form, forcing ink out the jet. I beleive this
heating action may damage the fluid we wish to spray. Still haven't found
any _current_ pizo-jet sources...
Roger Garnett  (garnett@THEORY.TN.CORNELL.EDU) (607) 255-2522
Cornell University     Ithaca, N.Y.