[sci.electronics] Curtis Electromusic Chip set

dam@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr David Morning) (10/11/90)

Does anyone have any info regarding the Curtis Electro Music FM synth
chip set?
I believe it was used in later versions of the Prophet5 synth and is
still used in the Cheetah MS6
I need to know if it is still available, who (preferrably in Europe)
supplies them, how much, and where to get technical info re applications
etc.

Thanx in advance

Dave Morning

PS Post or e-mail are both fine by me.

jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) (10/16/90)

In <6527@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> dam@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr David Morning) writes:

>Does anyone have any info regarding the Curtis Electro Music FM synth
>chip set?
>I believe it was used in later versions of the Prophet5 synth and is
>still used in the Cheetah MS6
>I need to know if it is still available, who (preferrably in Europe)
>supplies them, how much, and where to get technical info re applications
>etc.

>Thanx in advance

>Dave Morning

>PS Post or e-mail are both fine by me.

I think that the Curtis chips may have later been replaced by SSM chips
(or maybe it was the vice versa).

Curtis' address is:
Curtis Electromusic Specialties
2900 Mauricia Ave
Santa Clara, CA  95051

I don't know if they are still distributed in the same form as
the Prophet version, but Curtis still seems to put out new
pro-audio chips.

SSM can be found at:
Solid State Microtechnology for Music
2076B Walsh Ave
Santa Clara, CA 95050

Last I checked (a few years ago), their chips are still available.
Anchor Electronics, next door on Walsh, distributes SSM parts.
I don't have their address, but it is readily found on lots of
electronic mags.
--
Jim Hurley --> jimh@ultra.com  ...!ames!ultra!jimh  (408) 922-0100
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct16.004514.1505@ultra.com>, jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) writes:
> In <6527@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> dam@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr David Morning) writes:
>
>>Does anyone have any info regarding the Curtis Electro Music FM synth
>>chip set?
>>I believe it was used in later versions of the Prophet5 synth and is
>>still used in the Cheetah MS6
>>I need to know if it is still available, who (preferrably in Europe)
>>supplies them, how much, and where to get technical info re applications
>>etc.
>
>>Thanx in advance
>
>>Dave Morning
>
>>PS Post or e-mail are both fine by me.
>
> I think that the Curtis chips may have later been replaced by SSM chips
> (or maybe it was the vice versa).

It was the other way around.  The older versions needed Special heat calibrated
Tempco resistors for the oscillators to stay in tune after warm up. . .

> Curtis' address is:
> Curtis Electromusic Specialties
> 2900 Mauricia Ave
> Santa Clara, CA  95051
>
> I don't know if they are still distributed in the same form as
> the Prophet version, but Curtis still seems to put out new
> pro-audio chips.
>
> SSM can be found at:
> Solid State Microtechnology for Music
> 2076B Walsh Ave
> Santa Clara, CA 95050

You'd best call up a PMI (Precision Monolithics Inc.) rep for SSM parts,
since PMI bought SSM a while back.  You can't get old ones anymore, but
they do have a nice selection of chips still (SSM/PMI)  really. ..

> Last I checked (a few years ago), their chips are still available.
> Anchor Electronics, next door on Walsh, distributes SSM parts.
> I don't have their address, but it is readily found on lots of
> electronic mags.
> --
> Jim Hurley --> jimh@ultra.com  ...!ames!ultra!jimh  (408) 922-0100
> Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134

If any body wants a synopsis of what SSM offers still as PMI, I'll post a
list of part numbers to the net along with a basic desciption of each. . .

Ronn

e85rw@efd.lth.se (Ricard Wolf) (10/19/90)

In article <15552.271dbd71@levels.sait.edu.au> etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

>If any body wants a synopsis of what SSM offers still as PMI, I'll post a
>list of part numbers to the net along with a basic desciption of each. . .
>
>Ronn
Please do - not all of us out here in netland are consent with ready-made
synthesizers; I've always wondered what other goodies SSM /PMI has had to
offer!

--
Ricard Wolf

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Ricard Wolf              | Lund Institute of Technology        |
| email: e85rw@efd.lth.se  | If you can't buy 'em - build 'em !! |

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (10/20/90)

In article <15552.271dbd71@levels.sait.edu.au> etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

>If any body wants a synopsis of what SSM offers still as PMI, I'll post a
>list of part numbers to the net along with a basic desciption of each. . .
>Ronn

Yes, Please do...

Alan Whinery,
whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu