[sci.electronics] Laser Link betw two buildings 500 m apart possible??

huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) (10/23/90)

Is is possible to build a laser link, between 2 buildings, say 500
meters apart and have 1 Mbit/s RELIABLE bandwidth in any weather
conditions (ar some kind of autobaud-system, so at rainy weather it
would comd down to 512 kbit/s, then 64 and so on.. ? Any surplus
equipment available? Any info would be appreciated!

--Kauto

--
****************** Kauto Huopio (huopio@kannel.lut.fi) **********************
*US Mail: Kauto Huopio, Punkkerikatu 1 A 10, SF-53850 Lappeenranta, Finland *

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (10/23/90)

huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) writes:
> Is is possible to build a laser link, between 2 buildings, say 500 meters
> apart and have 1 Mbit/s RELIABLE bandwidth in any weather conditions

	I think you can do a lot better than that.  Laser Communications
Inc in Lancaster, PA (+1 717 394 8634) sells Infra Red Laser boxes that are
supposed to be usable up to 1km in all sorts of weather conditions.  As of
about a year ago, they had a system that ran at 10 Mbps for US $14k.  We
havn't tried one yet, but I've communicated with a few people who have them
and say they really do work, even in rain, fog, etc.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (10/25/90)

huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) writes:

>Is is possible to build a laser link, between 2 buildings, say 500
>meters apart and have 1 Mbit/s RELIABLE bandwidth in any weather
>conditions?

     Not in a place where it snows hard.  It was first tried in
Cleveland in 1968.  You can punch through rain, but snow is nearly
opaque.

     Even millimeter microwave won't work reliably through snow.
The wavelength has to be considerably bigger than snowflakes
to diffract around them.

					John Nagle

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) (10/26/90)

In article <HUOPIO.90Oct22195507@kannel.lut.fi> huopio@lut.fi (Kauto Huopio OH5LFM) writes:
>Is is possible to build a laser link, between 2 buildings, say 500
>meters apart and have 1 Mbit/s RELIABLE bandwidth in any weather
I doubt the any weather part, but if you want to play with the
technology inexpensively there was an article in a recent issue of
QEX (which is at home, so I can't tell you which issue).  QEX is a
publication for experimenters put out by American Radio Relay League,
the amateur radio organization.
haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) (10/28/90)

And now that I'm at home I can report that it's the August, 1990
issue of QEX.