[sci.electronics] Gravity waves

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (11/03/90)

In article <5847@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> dmt@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) writes:
>In article <1990Oct31.233529.25251@cbnewsj.att.com> asd@cbnewsj.att.com (Adam S. Denton) writes:
>>A long time ago ('82?) in Radio-Electronics, there was a construction article
>>to build a "gravity-wave" detector!  This simple circuit, the author
>>claimed, detected `gravity waves' which travel throughout the universe
>>instantaneously (much faster than the the speed of light)!!
>
>It was in the April, 1986 issue (p. 53) but it didn't have the usual reference
>to April 1 at the end.

[First of all, I can't believe I'm thinking seriously about this
crufty old net.canard, but we all have hangovers, eventually, right?]

If gravity is bound by the speed of light, then it must
produce waves.  (Check out any text re propagation of energy).

If gravity is not bound to the speed of light, then we
should be able to map the universe ***as it exists "now"***
(modulo relativity), rather than as it existed at time now-
minus-distance-divided-by-c.  This depends on building
focussable gravity detectors with detecting sensitivity
comparable to early photon detectors (i.e., eyes, which are
ridiculously sensitive when they choose to be).  Unfortunately,
the gravitational intensity of a star's-worth of matter is
nothing compared to its electromagnetic intensity (I mean,
we're talking a 10^lots kg of fusion reactor per star...).
This means the sensitivity will have to be correspondingly
increased.  (I know!  Let's strap all the astrologers to a
big, flat mountain and ask them to infer the universe's
constitution!  A phased-array-astrolabe! :-) :-) :-) ]

[note:  don't think of gravity lenses in terms of light lenses;
light bends because it's limited by Fermat's principle, which
depends inexorably on the existance of a speed of light; further,
the bending is proportional to the frequency of the light, and
gravity has no as-yet-defined frequency (unless I'm missing
something about 'gravitons' -- outside of Dr. Who, that is :-).]

This is getting interesting.  Anyone know of any credible
research into gravity's propagating properties?

It should be easy to measure the speed-of-gravity; I remember
an experiment one Dr. Park did at the U. of Md. using SQUIDS
to measure the non-divergence of gravity.  He suspended the
SQUID device a few meters from a swinging pendulum, measuring
the force on the SQUIDS, which were arranged as the faces
of a cube; he showed that the gravitational displacement
summed to (the neighborhood of) zero over the faces of the
closed surface of the cube, proving the gravitational field
to be solenoidal.  (The aim was to verify the inverse-square-
law by getting a better precision for the '2.000...' in
F = GmM/(r^2.000...).  He proved that there were at least
six zeroes following the decimal point, where previous
researchers had only been able to verify four; these extra
two zeroes earned Dr. Park his tenure in a special award
from the UMd Physics dept.)

One only need attach some reflectors, lasers, and photo-
sensors to the setup to compare the variation in the transit
time of light with the variation in the intensity of the
gravity (which is considerable at a mean distance of ~5m
with a variation of +- ~1m).

BTW, the pendulum was a steel ball a meter in diameter weighing
something like 1500kg.  Part of the fun of the video (we watched
this in 1st-semester physics) was watching Dr. Park get pushed
around by the thing as he tried to demonstrate the most efficient
method of stopping it manually by timing one's contact with it.

				--Blair
				  "You're never too
				   old and successful
				   for simpleton physics."