[sci.electronics] List of University Engr./Manuf. Research?

dmp@epg.harris.com (Donald Patterson) (11/02/90)

Does anyone know of a database of ongoing university research,
searchable by subject, etc.? I am interested in areas related to the
engineering and manufacturing of electronics systems such as electronics
packaging, circuit design, thermal & E-M and dynamic analysis, etc. Do
National Science Foundation (NSF) or other sources have this data in
some accessible form? Obviously, I prefer a network-accessible form, but
even a written document would help.

E-mail responses much appreciated; I'll post any findings...

 Don Patterson                   \\\ INTERNET : dmp@epg.harris.com
 Harris Corporation               \\\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!dpatterson
 Engineering Productivity Group    \\\ CCMAIL : dpatters
 1025 W. Nasa Blvd., MS 3A/epg      \\\ VOICE : (407) 727-6058
 Melbourne, FL 32919                 \\\  FAX : (407) 727-5510

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (11/02/90)

In article <4736@trantor.harris-atd.com>, dmp@epg.harris.com (Donald Patterson) writes:
> Does anyone know of a database of ongoing university research,
> searchable by subject, etc.? I am interested in areas related to the
> engineering and manufacturing of electronics systems such as electronics
> packaging, circuit design, thermal & E-M and dynamic analysis, etc. Do
> National Science Foundation (NSF) or other sources have this data in
> some accessible form? Obviously, I prefer a network-accessible form, but
> even a written document would help.

     Mary Briand, in the sector library, will conduct online literature
searches for anyone who asks.  I'm sure she could track something down for
you.

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

peter@isis.ccs.uwo.ca (Mr. Peter Budgell) (11/02/90)

In article <4736@trantor.harris-atd.com> dmp@epg.harris.com (Donald Patterson) writes:
>Does anyone know of a database of ongoing university research,
>searchable by subject, etc.? I am interested in areas related to the
>engineering and manufacturing of electronics systems such as electronics
>packaging, circuit design, thermal & E-M and dynamic analysis, etc. Do
>National Science Foundation (NSF) or other sources have this data in
>some accessible form? Obviously, I prefer a network-accessible form, but
>even a written document would help.

The  BEST.North America database is under development and is the first
large-scale database of research resources in U.S. and Canadian
universities.  It has been launched by Cartermill, Inc. to give
corporations a tool to explore easily the research resources
at universities.  Cartermill Inc. is a joint venture between
Dome Corporation, an arm of Johns Hopkins Institutions and Longman Cartermill Ltd.
of St. Andrews, Scotland.

The standardized database, prepared in partnership with 70 participating
North American universities included more than 5000 records at its
launch in September, with another 13000 expected to be added over the
next 6 months.

It will include email, research park info., other services...

                        (from "Western News", University of Western Ontario)

**** Does anyone know how to contact this organization ? ****

Peter Budgell
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
University of Western Ontario

peter@engrg.uwo.ca

ellery@trantor.harris-atd.com (Ellery Chan) (11/05/90)

In article <4743@trantor.harris-atd.com>, chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
|> In article <4736@trantor.harris-atd.com>, dmp@epg.harris.com (Donald Patterson) writes:
|> > Does anyone know of a database of ongoing university research,
|> > searchable by subject, etc.? I am interested in areas related to the
|> > engineering and manufacturing of electronics systems such as electronics
|> > packaging, circuit design, thermal & E-M and dynamic analysis, etc. Do
|> > National Science Foundation (NSF) or other sources have this data in
|> > some accessible form? Obviously, I prefer a network-accessible form, but
|> > even a written document would help.
|>
|>      Mary Briand, in the sector library, will conduct online literature
|> searches for anyone who asks.  I'm sure she could track something down for
|> you.

Also, there are news groups like comp.doc.techreports where institutions
post lists of available publications on recent research.  Some of the
papers can be ordered by e-mail.

-ellery-
--
"Perhaps if we increased the Mnemonic Device to 650 volts..." --Dave Barry
 Ellery Chan                     | ARPA:    ellery@trantor.harris-atd.com