[sci.electronics] SP0256-AL2 XTAL

girzong@infonode.ingr.com (Gary Girzon) (11/01/90)

does anyone know a good source for the 3.12 MHZ crystal required with
the SP0256? also, will a standard colorburst (3.58 MHZ) crystal work,
perhaps with a higher pitch?
--
Gary Girzon				...!uunet!ingr!optron!gary!gary
Optronics, An Intergraph Division	(508) 256-4511 x8691

gja@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Grenville Armitage) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.232018.24991@infonode.ingr.com> girzong@infonode.ingr.com (Gary Girzon) writes:

>does anyone know a good source for the 3.12 MHZ crystal required with
>the SP0256? also, will a standard colorburst (3.58 MHZ) crystal work,
>perhaps with a higher pitch?

Quite a number of years ago I used this chip without a crystal.
An oscillator based on a TTL monostable chip was used to
provide the clock, instead. Just a thought to let you know alternatives
can be used....

gja

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct31.232018.24991@infonode.ingr.com> girzong@infonode.ingr.com (Gary Girzon) writes:
-does anyone know a good source for the 3.12 MHZ crystal required with
-the SP0256? also, will a standard colorburst (3.58 MHZ) crystal work,
-perhaps with a higher pitch?

A colorburst crystal will work fine with the spo256.  In fact, I have never
heard one with a 3.12 MHz xtal; everyone uses 3.579.  The CTS256 must be used
with a 10 MHz xtal, since it derives the baud rate from it.
/mike

--
\|/  Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA East
--- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

rtaylor@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Rich Taylor) (11/02/90)

> does anyone know a good source for the 3.12 MHZ crystal required with
> the SP0256? also, will a standard colorburst (3.58 MHZ) crystal work,
> perhaps with a higher pitch?

I have had good luck using approximate frequency crystals. The pitch
does change. 3.58MHz may be too high, however.

Rich Taylor
rtaylor@hpdmd48.hp.com

usevitch@s24.csrd.uiuc.edu (Bryan Usevitch) (11/02/90)

girzong@infonode.ingr.com (Gary Girzon) writes:

>does anyone know a good source for the 3.12 MHZ crystal required with
>the SP0256? also, will a standard colorburst (3.58 MHZ) crystal work,
>perhaps with a higher pitch?

I was a teaching assistant for a group of students that built a speech
synthesis board around this device.  They used different crystals for
different effects (such as male and female voices) with good success.  I am
not sure if they had to modify the digital timings of the circuit to
compensate for the different crystal values but as I remember they simply
swapped crystal values.

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct31.232018.24991@infonode.ingr.com>, girzong@infonode.ingr.com (Gary Girzon) writes:

> does anyone know a good source for the 3.12 MHZ crystal required with
> the SP0256? also, will a standard colorburst (3.58 MHZ) crystal work,
> perhaps with a higher pitch?

Just about any crystal about 3Mhz will do.  It merely changes the pitch
of the voice.

Eric

--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

davec@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( DAVE CHU ) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct31.232018.24991@infonode.ingr.com> girzong@infonode.ingr.com (Gary Girzon) writes:

>does anyone know a good source for the 3.12 MHZ crystal required with
>the SP0256? also, will a standard colorburst (3.58 MHZ) crystal work,
>perhaps with a higher pitch?
>--
>Gary Girzon				...!uunet!ingr!optron!gary!gary
>Optronics, An Intergraph Division	(508) 256-4511 x8691

I've used this chip before for a project, and found that the colorburst
crystal works just as well as the 3.12MHz crystal.  It does produce a
higher pitch and I did not experienced any timming problem with
the higher clock rate.  Hope this helps, bye.

davec@maxwell.concordia.ca
davec@davinci.concordia.ca

chris@wasat.la.locus.com (Chris Davis) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct31.232018.24991@infonode.ingr.com> girzong@infonode.ingr.com (Gary Girzon) writes:
>does anyone know a good source for the 3.12 MHZ crystal required with
>the SP0256? also, will a standard colorburst (3.58 MHZ) crystal work,
>perhaps with a higher pitch?

	yes, it will work, with a corresspondingly higher pitch.  i have
	successfully used a 3.58 MHz tv colorburst crystal with this chip.
	a 4.00 MHz crystal worked fine too, but was a little too high
	pitched.  the particular sp0256 i was experimenting with ran with
	a 6.00 Mhz crystal, though i doubt if they all would.
  __       __  o  __
 |   |__| |__| | |__  Chris J. Davis  chris@locus.com {uunet,ucla-se}!lcc!chris
 |__ |  | |  \ | ___| (213) 337-5951  Disclaimer? All my articles are forgeries
 "Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to
  put baseball cards in the spokes" - Captain Kramer, TransAmerican Airlines

gomez@speedway2.DAB.GE.COM (Frank Gomez) (11/04/90)

A good source for 3.12MHz clk is B.G. Micro which is
advertise in Radio Electronics.  Also a 3.57MHz will
work.

umapu02@cc.ic.ac.uk (D.A.G. Gillies Supvsr Dr K.J. Bignell) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov1.211506.6670@csrd.uiuc.edu> usevitch@s24.csrd.uiuc.edu (Bryan Usevitch) writes:
>girzong@infonode.ingr.com (Gary Girzon) writes:
>

>>does anyone know a good source for the 3.12 MHZ crystal required with
>>the SP0256? also, will a standard colorburst (3.58 MHZ) crystal work,
>>perhaps with a higher pitch?
>
>I was a teaching assistant for a group of students that built a speech
>synthesis board around this device.  They used different crystals for
>different effects (such as male and female voices) with good success.  I am
>not sure if they had to modify the digital timings of the circuit to
>compensate for the different crystal values but as I remember they simply
>swapped crystal values.
 I used a standard 3.2768 MHz crystal in my SPO256 device - no hassle getting
one of those - might even get one from the dreaded Tandy/RatShack...

 enjoy....

--
--Yer give it a twist, an' a flick o' yer wrist, an yer fling it right over
 yer 'ed. Oi !--