[sci.electronics] Weirdness Electronics was "NAVY WITHHOLDING EVIDENCE"

chroma@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (C. Elliot Friday UMN ) (10/31/90)

In article <1089700002@cdp> nec@cdp.UUCP writes:
 /
 /                          "UFO CENTRAL"
 /                         The Forbidden City
 /                             AREA# 51
 /
 / Posted by: Ron Garcia(NEC)
 / Produced by: Audrey Lauin
 / Reported by: Bill McGowen, both of 'Current Affair'(10/11/90)@8:00p.m.
 /
 / Just afew miles from Las Vegas, Nevada there lies a "TOP SECRET"
 / instalation called AREA# 51. This area is run by the U.S. Dept. of
 / Energy. Jaime Shandera (investigator/editor) calls the TOP SECRET
 / area within AREA# 51 "DREAMLAND". A ring of mountains surrounded by
 / another ring of mountains.

[ And lots more fun stuff which I deleted for sake of space ]

Hmmm it sounds like this expose' was indeed written in the depth of
DREAMLAND itself. Now you think I am going to start a rant entirely
unrelated to this newsgroup. Well not quite...

I have a habit of reading obscure and kind of way-out publications.
Every-once-in-awhile I come upon ads in such publications for weird
devices that purport to be things like UFO detectors that will hopefully
allow one to meet the "rare blond aliens" and other outlandish claims
I >secretly< know eminate from the Planet Gullible. Does anyone know
what is >really< in these devices? I know lots of people will guess
(maybe correctly) that they are just circuits that blink lights or
go on at random or somesuch.  But I want to know if anyone has ever
acquired any of these devices (preferably at a flea market, as in the
mags the cost is often as outlandish as the claims) and looked inside,
and is it interesting ? Is it worth building one just for fun?  There
are all sorts of other techno-magic devices that people claim exist.
has anyone seen any of the plans for these devices? Built any? Played
with them?

I remember many many years ago something in one of those Popular
Electronics magazines about something that detected small changes
in electric fields in the local area. Wish I knew where it was now
so I could look at the circuit. I have also heard a lot about Low
Frequency RF and Earthquakes, luckily I have an address to write for
that. But again, has anyone built any such things and played with
them. I also remember that there was a big noise at some point about
RF emissions of severe thunderstorms that might generate tornados.
This seemed rather more well established. Does anyone know where
to get curcuits for those sorts of devices? Well I have gone on
long enuff...Any advice would be appreciated, either by article if
there is wide enuff interest or via email.

                                  Be Seeing YOu,
                                     Friday

chroma@gorn.santa-cruz.ca
<pathto>ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!cruz

wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) (11/01/90)

>In article <1883@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> chroma@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (C. Elliot Friday UMN ) writes:
>In article <1089700002@cdp> nec@cdp.UUCP writes:
> /
> /                          "UFO CENTRAL"
> /                         The Forbidden City
> /                             AREA# 51
>I >secretly< know eminate from the Planet Gullible. Does anyone know
>what is >really< in these devices? I know lots of people will guess
>(maybe correctly) that they are just circuits that blink lights or
>go on at random or somesuch.  But I want to know if anyone has ever
>acquired any of these devices (preferably at a flea market, as in the
>mags the cost is often as outlandish as the claims) and looked inside,
>and is it interesting ? Is it worth building one just for fun?  There

My step-father was somewhat gullible along these lines and let himself
get talked into purchasing a device that was supposed to be able to
project your thoughts to get crops to grow, cure diseases, bring rain
or halt floods (your choice :-)), etc.  (He had the money, so what the
heck.  We didn't even try very hard to talk him out of it.)  The company
gave the box a five year warranty (don't ask what it warranted) that
would be null and void if the seals (and there were plenty) on the box
were broken.  My stepfather wouldn't let me break the seals, but I did
manage to "pry" open one side enough to get a look inside at the circuit
board.  There were a couple of 40 pin dips, 3 or 4 28 pin dips and
probably about 20 of the 20, 16, 14 pin variety.  All the markings
on the chips had been painted over so you couldn't tell what the parts
were.  I have no idea what was going on in there (they could have been
non-functional parts for all I know) but it was actually pretty good
workmanship (neatly dressed cables to the switches and meters, etc).
If I ever make it back home again (and remember) I think I'll see if
I can find it and tear it apart.

Uh, no.  To my knowledge it cured no diseases, didn't bring/halt rain
and didn't noticeably improve any crops.

(;-))

|       //                  Wayne D. Diener                     |
|      //                   Spokane, WA                         |
|  \\ //     E-mail reply to:                                   |
|   \X/      To: isc-br!hawk!wddami!wayned@uunet.uu.net         |

johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton) (11/02/90)

<<<<
< A long time ago ('82?) in Radio-Electronics, there was a construction article
< to build a "gravity-wave" detector!  This simple circuit, the author
< claimed, detected `gravity waves' which travel throughout the universe
< instantaneously (much faster than the the speed of light)!!
----------
That was the April issue if I remember right.

John Eaton
!hpvcfs1!johne

umapu02@cc.ic.ac.uk (D.A.G. Gillies Supvsr Dr K.J. Bignell) (11/07/90)

In article <wayned.9720@wddami.spoami.com> wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) writes:
>>In article <1883@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> chroma@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (C. Elliot Friday UMN ) writes:
>>In article <1089700002@cdp> nec@cdp.UUCP writes:
>> /
>> /                          "UFO CENTRAL"
>> /                         The Forbidden City
>> /                             AREA# 51
>>I >secretly< know eminate from the Planet Gullible. Does anyone know
>>what is >really< in these devices? I know lots of people will guess
>>(maybe correctly) that they are just circuits that blink lights or
>>go on at random or somesuch.  But I want to know if anyone has ever
>>acquired any of these devices (preferably at a flea market, as in the
>>mags the cost is often as outlandish as the claims) and looked inside,
>>and is it interesting ? Is it worth building one just for fun?  There
>
>My step-father was somewhat gullible along these lines and let himself
>get talked into purchasing a device that was supposed to be able to
>project your thoughts to get crops to grow, cure diseases, bring rain
>or halt floods (your choice :-)), etc.  (He had the money, so what the
>heck.  We didn't even try very hard to talk him out of it.)  The company
>gave the box a five year warranty (don't ask what it warranted) that
>would be null and void if the seals (and there were plenty) on the box
>were broken.  My stepfather wouldn't let me break the seals, but I did
>manage to "pry" open one side enough to get a look inside at the circuit
>board.  There were a couple of 40 pin dips, 3 or 4 28 pin dips and
>probably about 20 of the 20, 16, 14 pin variety.  All the markings
>on the chips had been painted over so you couldn't tell what the parts
>were.  I have no idea what was going on in there (they could have been
>non-functional parts for all I know) but it was actually pretty good
>workmanship (neatly dressed cables to the switches and meters, etc).
>If I ever make it back home again (and remember) I think I'll see if
>I can find it and tear it apart.
>
>Uh, no.  To my knowledge it cured no diseases, didn't bring/halt rain
>and didn't noticeably improve any crops.
>
>(;-))

 In the absence of a control experiment, how can you be sure it had no effect ?
Bad science,Wayne. ( Please find enclosed , :) x 10**2)

----Saddam Hussein - nuke him 'till he glows, then shoot him in the dark---
---(c) The Amazing Underwater Chocolate Christmas Cracker Motto Factory----