[sci.electronics] don't read this unless you empathize with ...

tohline@ecs.umass.edu (Chris Tohline) (11/02/90)

as a college sophmore I felt very confident about my major, computer
systems engineering.  Then, I took a BASIC circuit analysis class.
now, I am very frusterated.  Am I lost because my teacher is poor, or
is this just a difficult subject to grasp?  I refuse to live with a 'C'
and am very frusterated.  But I'm sure someday it will click and I'll
be happy again.

Chris Tohline

tohline@ecs.umass.edu

dupuie@neutron.eng.ohio-state.edu (Scott T. Dupuie) (11/03/90)

In article <11242.2730bfd5@ecs.umass.edu> tohline@ecs.umass.edu
(Chris Tohline) writes:

>as a college sophmore I felt very confident about my major, computer
>systems engineering.  Then, I took a BASIC circuit analysis class.
>now, I am very frusterated.  Am I lost because my teacher is poor, or
>is this just a difficult subject to grasp?  I refuse to live with a 'C'
>and am very frusterated.  But I'm sure someday it will click and I'll
>be happy again.
>
>Chris Tohline
>
>tohline@ecs.umass.edu

Chris,

This has been one of my "pet peeves" since I began my education in EE
8 years ago. I am currently completing a M.S. degree in this field, and
have spent some time teaching and working in industry as well. As much as
the academics may object, I can tell you with some certainty that your
introductory circuit analysis course has very little to do with *real*
analog engineering. It seems that most universities like to use this course
as a vehicle for "weeding out" what they consider to be unsuitable
students. In addition to this, many of the faculty stuck teaching this
course know very little about the subject as it pertains to real life
design issues. They act as though they are being punished by being forced
to teach this class. This is unfortunate, since it tends to turn off many
young engineering students to the field of analog circuit design. I can't
tell you how many students I've known through the years that switched to
digital design (no pun intended) because of the experience thay had in a
similar circuits course. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why there are
so few analog design engineers out there and why they are in such high
demand. I can't tell you what to do about your particular situation, but if
you stick it out, as I did, the rewards are many.

Scott T. Dupuie
The Ohio State University
Department of Electrical Engineering
dupuie@parts.eng.ohio-state.edu

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (11/03/90)

If you're having trouble with circuit analysis, I would look for
weaknesses in either math or physics background.  I found that taking
two semesters of calc (and actively taking the third semester of calc
along w/circuit analysis) was an extremely successful strategy.  Anyway
you cut it if your trig calc isn't up to snuff you're dead meat.  If
the problem is that you make mistakes with the large system of matrices
the only solution is to practice more until the mistakes are minimized.
Finally, doing a dimensional analysis at the end (ie the answer is in
the right units), checking that the answer makes sense, etc at the
point you finish the test is a good thing to do - try to finish your
exam 15 minutes early for this phase.

If the problem is a bad instructor, just take a different section or
wait until the current instructor has his semester off.

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar

gleason@mwk.uucp (Lee K. Gleason, Control-G Consultants) (11/04/90)

In article <11242.2730bfd5@ecs.umass.edu>, tohline@ecs.umass.edu (Chris Tohline) writes:
> as a college sophmore I felt very confident about my major, computer
> systems engineering.  Then, I took a BASIC circuit analysis class.
> now, I am very frusterated.  Am I lost because my teacher is poor, or
> is this just a difficult subject to grasp?  I refuse to live with a 'C'
> and am very frusterated.  But I'm sure someday it will click and I'll
> be happy again.
>
> Chris Tohline
>
> tohline@ecs.umass.edu

  Well, I wanted to be a EE when I started out at Rice...took basic circuit
analysis, got a C. When I went to pick up my final exam, the prof said

  "You're not planning to be an Electrical Engineer, are you?"

  I'm a system progammer now...

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov2.223926.26095@ameristar> rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) writes:
>If you're having trouble with circuit analysis, I would look for
>weaknesses in either math or physics background.  I found that taking

I had/have trouble with circuit anlysis.  I now have a degree in EE
computers of course.  I don't have a weakness in calc or physics.
I can handle any calc or physics you give me just fine.  Circuit
analysis requires the correct approach.  If no one tells you the correct
approach ( a GOOD instructor) you won't do it well.  I was never taught
by a good instructor so my circuit analysis skills suck, that's one
reason I like digital design so much, only ones and zeros.

>two semesters of calc (and actively taking the third semester of calc
>along w/circuit analysis) was an extremely successful strategy.  Anyway
>you cut it if your trig calc isn't up to snuff you're dead meat.  If
>the problem is that you make mistakes with the large system of matrices
>the only solution is to practice more until the mistakes are minimized.
>Finally, doing a dimensional analysis at the end (ie the answer is in
>the right units), checking that the answer makes sense, etc at the
>point you finish the test is a good thing to do - try to finish your
>exam 15 minutes early for this phase.

CRAP, CRAP, CRAP, CRAP.

This may be good for him but not for everybody.  I think that what is
needed is for someone to teach the proper techniques for analysis,
which I have found most instructors don't.  They expect you to just
"pick it up" and that pisses me off.  You don't just "pick it up."
Circuit analysis is like driving - poor instuctor that doesn't
teach you the basics and you never develop good skills because the
foundation is missing.

>If the problem is a bad instructor, just take a different section or
>wait until the current instructor has his semester off.

This is not always possible if you want to graduated and that is the only
instuctor teaching the class for the next year or so.  What happens if
the new guy/woman is worst than the first, you could spend your
whole life waiting for that right instructor.

I say you live with a 'C', find someone good at circuit analysis and
ask them to show you the proper techniques.
>                                       Rick Spanbauer
>					Ameristar

BTW - I'm working on my MSEE in digital and computer system design and
have worked in the industry full time for about 2 years and if I have
a job and if they ask me to do analysis on an analog circuit I plan
to quit!

Don't do drugs!  - No I don't,  but I don't do analog either.  8-)

               Kent.
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */