[sci.electronics] Which microprocessor is user friendly ?

wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) (10/25/90)

>In article <1990Oct24.234727.17533@NCoast.ORG> ramsey@NCoast.ORG (Cedric Ramsey) writes:
>
>I wanted to know which microprocessor is easier for a novice to build a
>system around. I want to have a clock w/display, rom, ram, and simply io
>
>Cedric A. Ramsey

My vote has to go for the Intel 8052-BASIC.  See if you can get your
hands on Intel's "MCS BASIC-52 User's Manual" (Order Number: 270010-003),
follow the fairly simple directions, and you'll be up and running in
very little time.  For the clock display you'll have to do a little
design work, but that's about all.

|       //                  Wayne D. Diener                     |
|      //                   Spokane, WA                         |
|  \\ //     E-mail reply to:                                   |
|   \X/      To: isc-br!hawk!wddami!wayned@uunet.uu.net         |

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Crash Gordon) (10/26/90)

>I wanted to know which microprocessor is easier for a novice to build a
>system around.

My choice would be the Intel 8052AH-BASIC.  This one gives you the power of
the MCS-51 core (minus some resources that BASIC grabs) with a relatively
friendly front end (A flavor of BASIC is ROMmed-in).  If you don't tell
people what you've used, you can even do some serious projects with this one.

Then, once you've become accustomed to the architecture, you can try
assembler (or C) and be able to build one-chip systems.  Very convenient.

For a manual, contact Intel and get the MCS BASIC-52 User's Manual, order
number 270010-003.  If you say the right things to the right people, you can
get this, the 8-bit embedded controller databook, and the embedded apps
book, all for $0.  I did.

(Editor's note:  Personally, I think C on a one-chip micro is pretty dumb,
but it's out there, and some people do use it.  No accounting for taste.)
Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

egul@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Ed Gulczynski - FIS) (11/04/90)

/ hp-lsd:sci.electronics / elwood@wam.umd.edu (Jim Bogard) /  9:41 am  Oct 25, 1990 /
In article <1990Oct24.234727.17533@NCoast.ORG>, ramsey@NCoast.ORG (Cedric Ramsey) writes:

> Hello:
>
> I wanted to know which microprocessor is easier for a novice to build a
> system around. I want to have a clock w/display, rom, ram, and simply io
> to set the clock. I was thinking about either the z80 or the 6800 but
> the 6840 scares me a lot.

   I think 6502.  ok, ok, so its old. so what. it's compact,
   clean, efficient, and easy to work with.  Plus, Ive seen them
   with system clocks on the chip.  Use static RAM for no refresh,
   and off you go.

J-.

--
Jim Bogard  oper014@umuc.umd.edu  jimbo@socrates.umd.edu
                                  elwood@cscwam.umd.edu

disclaimer? I think UM has bigger things to worry about than my opinions.
----------

egul@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Ed Gulczynski - FIS) (11/04/90)

I recently completed a couple of Z80 projects (with help from some
very patient EE's).  I found tons of ref. matl'l in both the
city and university libraries as well as our local well stocked bookstores.
Most of the material was either very low level or very 'over my head'
but did get me going.

The big drawback of the Z80 is that it requires a family (usually 4-5
minimum) of compatible supporting component chips to make anything functional
and before long you're soldering and re-soldering 200+ pins and 6 months
have passed.    The chips are all very inexpensive though, ~$2.50-5.00 each.

     I'd recommend the 68HC11xxxxxxxx series with onboard ram, eeprom,
     and clock, the footprint is much smaller and you can concentrate
     on the software rather than which color wirewrap to buy next.
     The price is higher but the learning curve much faster.

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (11/08/90)

In article <25150007@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> egul@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Ed Gulczynski - FIS) writes:
>   I think 6502.  ok, ok, so its old. so what. it's compact,
>   clean, efficient, and easy to work with.  Plus, Ive seen them
>   with system clocks on the chip.  Use static RAM for no refresh,
>   and off you go.

Yes, 6502 is nice. I like a small system out of CMOS parts: 65C02, 65C32,
27C64, a PAL and a crystal. The 65C32 gives you 128 bytes of RAM.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (11/08/90)

On <Oct 26 19:24> Charley Kline writes:

 CK>     [...all about the 8048, 8051, Z8671, 6809, etc]
 CK> Where might one go about getting a manual for one of these?

From Intel.  The have a mail order literature department.  What you probably
want is the microcontroller handbook.

--
Rick Ellis