[sci.electronics] new digitizer chip

owhite@nmsu.edu (Owen White) (11/08/90)

a friend told me that he recently heard of a anouncemnet for a new
chip (nat'l public radio of all places) about a new low-cost video
digitizer chip.  I could extract no other details from my friend about
this device.  1)did anyone hear of the announcement 2)catch the name
of the company producing the chip 3)hear when it should be available
OR 4)know if my friend was completely wrong?
	thank you,
	owen white
--

-=-*-=-=-*-=-=-*-=-=-*-=-=-*-=-=-*-=-=-*-=-=-*-=-=-*-=-=-*-=-=-*-=-
	we are godzone children--splendor is all around us

elliott@optilink.UUCP (Paul Elliott x225) (11/09/90)

In article <OWHITE.90Nov7183454@haywire.nmsu.edu>, owhite@nmsu.edu (Owen White) writes:
> a friend told me that he recently heard of a anouncemnet for a new
> chip (nat'l public radio of all places) about a new low-cost video
> digitizer chip.  I could extract no other details from my friend about
> this device.  1)did anyone hear of the announcement 2)catch the name
> of the company producing the chip 3)hear when it should be available
> OR 4)know if my friend was completely wrong?

Intel just announced the release of their "rev b" chips supporting their
DVI (Digital Video Interactive) system.  These aren't video digitizers
exactly, but could be what your friend heard about.  Intel (the Princeton
N.J. group, formerly Sarnoff Labs) did a real press blitz on this; I
even saw a feature article (with big photo) in my local paper's business
section.  The latest issue of Electronic Engineering Times has a page 1
story on this.

If you can, look at a demo of this system.  It's pretty impressive.  I
can't compare it to competing products, having only seen the DVI system,
but it is a full-motion full-color highly compressed video and audio
package.

--
      Paul M. Elliott      Optilink Corporation     (707) 795-9444
            {uunet, pyramid, pixar, tekbspa}!optilink!elliott