[sci.electronics] TTL Logic Probe

jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) (11/07/90)

Anyone out there have schematics or suggestions for building a TTL (only)
logic probe.  I took one of the little hand-held probes apart and found
a terrifying amount of capacitors, resistors and unknown DIP chips.  Can
I make one simply by using a few latches, etc?

Thanks for the input...

--
BAKER,JAMES G - Lab Technician, School of Electrical Engineering
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jgb

robin@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robin Amano) (11/08/90)

In article <16525@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>Anyone out there have schematics or suggestions for building a TTL (only)
>logic probe.  I took one of the little hand-held probes apart and found
>a terrifying amount of capacitors, resistors and unknown DIP chips.  Can
>I make one simply by using a few latches, etc?

This is a simple one:

+5V DC  O---------->|----------/\/\/\/----------|
                  L1             R2             |

                               _________________|
PROBE   O------\/\/\/\_______|/        _________|
                  R1         |\,_____|/
                                     |\,________
                             Q1                 |
                                     Q2         |
GROUND  O---------------------------------------|

   SYMBOL       QTY            DESCRIPTION

   Q1,Q2         2             npn silicon transistor
    R1           1             27K ohm, 1/2 W resistor
    R2           1             150 ohm, 1.2 W resistor
    L1           1             LED

the commas on the transistors are where the arrows should be, remember npn.
this is a simple led on = 1, led off = 0

here's another one:

       +5 V

         /
         \
         /   150 K
         \   1/8 W
         /   5 %
         \
         |                            |\
         |                            |  \
         |                     |------|    O------|
         |                     |      |  /        |
         |                     |      |/          | output
input >--|---------------------|                  |-------|
         |                     |      |\          |  led  |
         |                     |      |  \        |       |    led glows if
         \                     |------|    O------|      \ /   input is logic
         /   100 K                    |  /               ---       low
         \   1/8 W                    |/                  |
         /   5 %                                          |
         \                                                |
         |                                              -----
         |                            |\                 ---
         |                            |  \                -
         |                    |-------|    O------|
         |          |\        |       |  /        |
         |          |  \      |       |/          | output
         |----------|    O----|                   |------|
         |          |  /      |       |\          |  led |
         |          |/        |       |  \        |      |     led glows if
         |                    |-------|    O------|     \ /    input is logic
         |                            |  /              ---        high
         /                            |/                 |
         \   100 K                                       |
         /   1/8 W                                       |
         \   5 %                                       -----
         /                                              ---
         |                inverters are CD 4009          -    neither led glows
         |                     leds are MV 5020                  open circuit

       -----
        ---
         -

hope this helps!!

Robin Amano            |  Internet: robin@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
UHCC                   |
2565 The Mall          |  Honolulu, HI  96822

Mike.McManus@FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) (11/09/90)

In article <16525@hydra.gatech.EDU> jgb@prism.gatech.EDU (James G. Baker) writes:
>   Anyone out there have schematics or suggestions for building a TTL (only)
>   logic probe.  I took one of the little hand-held probes apart and found
>   a terrifying amount of capacitors, resistors and unknown DIP chips.  Can
>   I make one simply by using a few latches, etc?

You want quick and dirty?  Here's what I built:

             +----|>|----+ <-- tri-color LED (red/green)
      |\     |           |
   +--| >O---+           +----+
   |  |/     |           |    |
   |         +----|<|----+    |      probe tip (nail)
   |                          |              |
   |                          |              V
   +--------------------------+--/\/\/----||====>

OK, I *said* dirty...  This probe *WILL* load your circuit, it won't catch
glitches (unless you have great eyes :-), and it doesn't have a latch.  But
if your circuits are simple TTL, this works pretty well.  The tri-color LED
lights red for logic 0, green for logic 1, and yellow for high freq signals.
It's small and easy to build (I clipped the leads off the 7400 and soldered
directly to the tabs, stuffed the thing inside an old pen (the extra fat
kind)).  I'd welcome any ideas for a more complex version of this, especially
one to isolate the probe tip from the circuit.  I do like the tri-color part.
--
Disclaimer: All spelling and/or grammar in this document are guaranteed to be
            correct; any exseptions is the is wurk uv intter-net deemuns,.

Mike McManus                        Mike.McManus@FtCollins.NCR.COM, or
NCR Microelectronics                ncr-mpd!mikemc@ncr-sd.sandiego.ncr.com, or
2001 Danfield Ct.                   uunet!ncrlnk!ncr-mpd!garage!mikemc
Ft. Collins,  Colorado
(303) 223-5100   Ext. 378

In article <MIKE.MCMANUS.90Nov9112458@mustang.FtCollins.NCR.com> Mike.McManus@FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) writes:
>   It's small and easy to build (I clipped the leads off the 7400 and soldered
                                                              ^^^^
>   directly to the tabs, stuffed the thing inside an old pen (the extra fat
>   kind)).

Well, I *meant* to say 7404, but you could also use a 7400 :-).  Incidently, if
you don't care about fancy looks, just use some eletrical tape and/or hot glue
and just stick the whole mess (chip, LED and nail) (in/on)to a regular pen!