[sci.electronics] I/R remotes

mcdorman@qucis.queensu.CA (Doug McDorman) (10/23/90)

  Thanks to those who replied to my query about infrared remotes.
I found four sources of information in case anyone else is interested:
- anonymous ftp from mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu  file is /video/zapper.zoo
- Byte Feb 1987, Build an Infrared Remote Controller
- Byte Mar 1987, Build a Trainable Infrared Master Controller
- Modern Electronics Oct 1990, Power On/Off Remote Controller
Doug McDorman   MCDORMND@QUCDN.QueensU.Ca  | P.O. Box 4667 Station E       |
                Doug.McDorman@QueensU.Ca   | Ottawa,Ontario,CANADA K1S-5H8 |

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (10/24/90)

I/R remote trivia:

You can reflect I/R beams off lightly colored (ie white) surfaces. I got my
TV & VCR to respond around corners -- not just line-of-sight. No luck with
double reflections.

hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) (10/26/90)

In article <1606@gold.GVG.TEK.COM> grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) writes:

   I/R remote trivia:

   You can reflect I/R beams off lightly colored (ie white) surfaces. I got my
   TV & VCR to respond around corners -- not just line-of-sight. No luck with
   double reflections.

Imagine my surprise when I turned 180 degrees from my TV to my
roommate to pretend to turn him off, pointed at my roommates face, hit
the off button, and turned off the tv instead!  There were no mirrors
behind him, so I suppose the beam reflected off his eyes, or teeth. :-)

Charles

--
!===========================================================================!
! Charles H. Hemstreet IV       !internet: hemstree@handel.cs.Colostate.Edu !

ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Mike "IR" Ressler) (10/26/90)

In article <HEMSTREE.90Oct25133337@handel.handel.CS.Colostate.Edu> hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) writes:
>In article <1606@gold.GVG.TEK.COM> grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) writes:
>  I/R remote trivia:
>
>  You can reflect I/R beams off lightly colored (ie white) surfaces. I got my
>  TV & VCR to respond around corners -- not just line-of-sight. No luck with
>  double reflections.
>
>Imagine my surprise when I turned 180 degrees from my TV to my
>roommate to pretend to turn him off, pointed at my roommates face, hit
>the off button, and turned off the tv instead!  There were no mirrors
>behind him, so I suppose the beam reflected off his eyes, or teeth. :-)

Ah, young Jedi. You underestimate the power of the dark side. Or at least the
IR side. Or at the very least, the reflectivities of various objects at 880 nm
(maybe 950 nm, I'm not sure which LED they use). If your VCR is sufficiently
sensitive, the walls and/or your roommate's body and clothing can reflect well
enough to do the job, even if things look dark in the visible. Black is not
necessarily black in the very-near infrared!

If you want to have fun sometime, find someone who can take a picture of you
in the near-infrared between 1 and 2 microns (1000 - 2000 nm for those who
don't like archaic wavelength units). It looks kind of like a normal black and
white picture, but things are a little out of kilter because reflectivities
aren't the same as at 500 nm. If you want to get REALLY bizarre, try 4 microns
where your body is emitting photons as well as reflecting them.

Too much fun ...
--
  Mike Ressler - Infrared Photon Jockey     ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu

  If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger sledgehammer.

jeff@xanadu.com (Jeff Crilly N6ZFX) (11/10/90)

In article <HEMSTREE.90Oct25133337@handel.handel.CS.Colostate.Edu> hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) writes:
>In article <1606@gold.GVG.TEK.COM> grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) writes:
>
>   I/R remote trivia:
>
>   You can reflect I/R beams off lightly colored (ie white) surfaces. I got my
>   TV & VCR to respond around corners -- not just line-of-sight. No luck with
>   double reflections.
>
>Imagine my surprise when I turned 180 degrees from my TV to my
>roommate to pretend to turn him off, pointed at my roommates face, hit
>the off button, and turned off the tv instead!  There were no mirrors
>behind him, so I suppose the beam reflected off his eyes, or teeth. :-)

Its the eyes.  Not sure about teeth though.

Jeff Crilly (N6ZFX)
AMIX Corporation  2345 Yale Street  Palo Alto, CA  94306
jeff@amix.com, {uunet,sun}!markets!jeff, N6ZFX@N6IIU.#NOCAL.CA.USA