[sci.electronics] Reflectors on Black Mt

murray@src.dec.com (Hal Murray) (11/08/90)

I was hiking near the top of Black Mt the other day.  It's high and
has line of sight to much of the Bay area so I wasn't surprised to
see that there are lots of antennas up there.

There were also two large (~15 ft square) panels that I assume are
reflectors.  One points roughly north, the other south.

Anybody know what they are reflecting and to where?

The weird thing about them is that they are not back to back, but more
like front to front with a big offset.  It might be a double bounce,
but that seems very strange.  I couldn't see that they were pointing
anyplace interesting.

sturdevant@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Mike S.) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov7.203538.4076@src.dec.com>, murray@src.dec.com (Hal Murray) writes:
> I was hiking near the top of Black Mt the other day.  It's high and
> has line of sight to much of the Bay area so I wasn't surprised to
> see that there are lots of antennas up there.
>
> There were also two large (~15 ft square) panels that I assume are
> reflectors.  One points roughly north, the other south.
>
> Anybody know what they are reflecting and to where?
>
> The weird thing about them is that they are not back to back, but more
> like front to front with a big offset.  It might be a double bounce,
> but that seems very strange.  I couldn't see that they were pointing
> anyplace interesting.

	Maybe laser monitors for earth movement.

	Go fast. Take chances.
	Mike S.

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (11/10/90)

murray@src.dec.com (Hal Murray) writes:
>I was hiking near the top of Black Mt the other day.  It's high and
>has line of sight to much of the Bay area so I wasn't surprised to
>see that there are lots of antennas up there.

>There were also two large (~15 ft square) panels that I assume are
>reflectors.  One points roughly north, the other south.

Sounds like your double-bounce idea may be the right one...

Ever come across any cube corner reflectors?  I've seen them on
occasion near airfields, apparently used to mark locations for
aircraft and perhaps also for calibration/continuous checking of
the airfield radar...

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (11/10/90)

murray@src.dec.com (Hal Murray) writes:
> I was hiking near the top of Black Mt the other day.  It's high and
> has line of sight to much of the Bay area so I wasn't surprised to
> see that there are lots of antennas up there.
>
> There were also two large (~15 ft square) panels that I assume are
> reflectors.  One points roughly north, the other south.
>
> Anybody know what they are reflecting and to where?

I'll take a stab at this one based on another reflector I know about.
In the Morgantown, WV area, they (the telco) built a switch which had
a microwave transmitter on the roof for long-distance calls.  The
location was such that it could not "see" the next transmitter which was
on a mountain about 10 miles out of town.  However, there WAS a hill which
the local switch COULD hit, and could reflect to the out of town mountain.

My guess is that you are seeing the same thing: a microwave reflector for
(old?) phone equipment.
                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu (home)
             : 4398613@mcimail.com (work)

--
The UUCP Mailer

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov7.203538.4076@src.dec.com> murray@src.dec.com (Hal Murray) writes:
->There were also two large (~15 ft square) panels that I assume are
->reflectors.  One points roughly north, the other south.
->
->Anybody know what they are reflecting and to where?

The ones I've seen around here were used as passive repeaters for the phone
company's microwave links.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

hbg6@citek.mcdphx.mot.com (11/12/90)

>In article <1990Nov7.203538.4076@src.dec.com> murray@src.dec.com (Hal Murray) writes:
>->There were also two large (~15 ft square) panels that I assume are
>->reflectors.  One points roughly north, the other south.
>->
>->Anybody know what they are reflecting and to where?

There used to be one located near the Navajo Army Depot west of
Flagstaff Arizona. It was used as a passive repeater to bounce
several TV stations from Mount Elden several mile away into a
little hidden valley. Before I noticed the reflector, I wondered
why all of the TV antennas were pointed in the wrong direction
and inclined about 50 degrees.

I guess the towns folk didn't want to erect 500' towers to watch
the family feud. :-)

gnome@olivea.atc.olivetti.com (Gary) (11/14/90)

 > In article <1990Nov7.203538.4076@src.dec.com>, murray@src.dec.com (Hal Murray) writes:
 >> Anybody know what they are reflecting and to where?
 >>
 >> The weird thing about them is that they are not back to back, but more
 >> like front to front with a big offset.  It might be a double bounce,
 >> but that seems very strange.  I couldn't see that they were pointing
 >> anyplace interesting.

I think that they are microwave HBO reflectors used to balance the
signal strength over a large coverage area.
This is for the terrestrial microwave system, not satellite.

Gary

paulf@shasta.Stanford.EDU (paulf) (11/14/90)

We maintain a number of ham repeaters up on Black Mountain.  The "bounce
boards" are apparrently for an FAA microwave link.

-=Paul Flaherty, N9FZX      | Life is an inherent shift -  reduce conflict.
->paulf@shasta.Stanford.EDU |

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher,,255RTFM,255rtfm) (11/15/90)

We have one of these on a next door FAA site.

I suspect that ours, at least, are not redirection reflectors per say,
but rather it has many small corner reflectors within, and is a
marker-reflector that puts a bright spot on someone else's display.

I say that because:
1)      The one here is absolutely vertical. Any 'redirection' bouncing
	would thus be between two sites, not between the place next
	door and another. (These 'flyswatters' used to be popular, but
	are now banned.) Now it is so flat around here that the high
	spot in the county is the trashpile, thus I doubt this bounce
	is to avoid Mt. Wilson ;-}

2)	The reflector is THICK. It looks to be maybe 4-8 inches
	front-back. Thus there is room inside the cover for lots of
	corners.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM