[sci.electronics] Need to boost output of op-amp

scottc@bnlux0.bnl.gov (david scott coburn) (11/16/90)

I have a thermo-electric heat-pump that I need to supply power to.
I have a small op-amp circuit that conditions a control signal from
our temperature controller.  I would like to know if there is a way
that I can 'super-charge' the output of the op-amp to provide 0 to 5
amps at 0 to 3.5 volts.  This project is at the experimental level at this
point so I am not ready to shell out the bucks for a programmable power
supply.  If someone could point me to an application note or such, that
would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

scott coburn                                brookhaven national laboratory
scottc@solids.phy.bnl.gov [130.199.128.73]                  upton, ny, usa
 .....q.. ...q.... ......q. q....... .......q .q...... ....q... ..q......

brooksp@hpcc01.HP.COM (Peter Brooks) (11/17/90)

A few vendors (National, Linear Technology) have three terminal
power regulators that have relatively low (third terminal)
currents.  I suppose (just guessing; I don't have any data sheets
before me) that you could use the output of your opamp circuit
(with the output skewed to corrct for the three terminal
regulator's offset) as the reference voltage for the 3 terminal
regulator.  I'd check the Linear technology data sheets for
devices and applications.  The national part (a 1 amp version,
anyway) is the LM 317.

Pete Brooks  pb@hpocia.hp.com

rustyh@wam.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (11/19/90)

In article <4450001@hpcc01.HP.COM> brooksp@hpcc01.HP.COM (Peter Brooks) writes:
>A few vendors (National, Linear Technology) have three terminal
>power regulators that have relatively low (third terminal)
>currents.
> The national part (a 1 amp version,
>anyway) is the LM 317.
>
>Pete Brooks  pb@hpocia.hp.com

The problem here is that these parts will source current but will not
regulate when you try and sink current int them (it wont look like a
low impedance voltage source). Probably a better idea is a Silicon
General SG 3172P 3 amp power op-amp or the power op-amps from Apex.

---
Michael Katzmann	Broadcast Sports Technology
			UUCP: ..uunet!opel!arinc!vk2bea!michael