[sci.electronics] GTEK 7228 Eprom Programmer Users?

rjk@crg5.UUCP (Robert Kelley) (11/16/90)

I've come across a used GTEK 7228 EPROM programmer
with no documentation or software.  Is there any way
I could use it, without same?  Suggestions?

Robert Kelley
rjk@sequent.com

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (11/20/90)

In article <20495@crg5.UUCP> rjk@crg5.UUCP (Robert Kelley) writes:
>I've come across a used GTEK 7228 EPROM programmer
>with no documentation or software.

        I think I've used the 7128, but the 7228 should be similar.
The serial port is auto-baud.  Connect and give it a few <CR>s and
you should come up with a prompt.  "M" gives you a menu of devices
it can program.  Programming commands include Intel HEX files,
Motorola S-format, and a sparse set of generic 'read-this-byte'
sort fo commands.
        If you have docs for ANY programmer, it should include
a description of Intel HEX and Motorola S-format.
        All the input for this device is ASCII, so you can just
connect it to a terminal and type away.
        It is possible to use either control-S/control-Q throttling,
or use the handshake line (I forget which pin) to keep the data
source (a PC doing a text stream out of a terminal emulator program,
in my case) from overflowing the buffer.  I ended up setting the baud
rate low (at 300 baud, none of the programming commands are executed
slower than the data transfer).

	Basic operation: type "m" to get a menu of the supported
devices it can program.
	Select the devices by their number(or is it letter?) code
from the menu.
	To program with Intel Hex, type "P" and follow
up with Intel HEX format data.(?my notes may be incomplete here).
To read out as Intel HEX an existing EPROM/ROM, type "OI".
	To program with Motorola S-format, type "P" and give
the Motorola S-format input; to read out as S-format, type "OM".
	"V" verifies the EPROM (reports any cells not erased to "FF"),
and "L" lists it.

	Happy programming.

			John Whitmore
			whit@milton.u.washington.edu