[sci.electronics] Phones used as intercoms

len@syssoft.com (Len Galasso) (11/13/90)

I live in a four-bedroom, split-level house which has at least one phone
jack in each room.  What I'd like to do is to allow the phone "network"--
if you will--act like a local intercom when it isn't being used as a
regular phone system.  More specifically, I'd like to be able to somehow
isolate the system from the "Phone Company" and by the use of a special
ringing sequence which is obviously non-standard (at least for our region),
say, a burst of short ringing tones, enable someone in the house to pick
up the phone in any room and carry out a conversation.

The way this came about is that I was going to install some sort of an
intercom, using either the power-line carrier or FM wireless variety and
I got to thinking that I *already* have an intercom system: the
telephones.  Any user would not have to learn how to yet another piece
of electronic equipment.

Now the details.  When the system is being used as an intercom, outside
callers should get a busy signal.  To envoke the "special ringing sequence",
the user should have to just hit a special series of keypad commands--say
#*55--and the whole system would ring.  Thus any phone in the whole house
could be picked up and the conversation could take place.

I suppose some sort of intelligent isolation device would have to be placed
between the main feed from the Phone Company into my house.  This would have
to sense the command set defined--at this point only the special ring. And
then when the "intercom mode" is finished it would reconnect the whole system
back to Ma Bell.

I would like some input on this concept in terms of what it would take to
build something like this.  I am not looking for schematics--just ideas.

+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Len Galasso                 | "Just a machine to make big decisions     |
|  Systems and Software Inc.   |  Programmed by fellows with compassion    |
|  len@syssoft.com             |  And Vision"                              |
|  (714) 833-1700              |    Donald Fagen, "IGY", _The_Nightfly_    |
+------------------------------+--------+----------------------------------+

dave@dlb.uucp (Dave Buck) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov12.181746.5465@syssoft.com> len@syssoft.com (Len Galasso) writes:

>I live in a four-bedroom, split-level house which has at least one phone
>jack in each room.  What I'd like to do is to allow the phone "network"--
>if you will--act like a local intercom when it isn't being used as a
>regular phone system.
>I suppose some sort of intelligent isolation device would have to be placed
>between the main feed from the Phone Company into my house.  This would have
>to sense the command set defined--at this point only the special ring. And
>then when the "intercom mode" is finished it would reconnect the whole system
>back to Ma Bell.

I'd have to consider purchasing a "KSU" -- Key Service Unit, which is like a
PBX typically used by small businesses, and allows multiple lines and intercom
functions between all telephones plugged into the KSU, which is itself plugged
into Ma Bell's RJ11 jacks.

However, most KSUs use special telephones, not your standard telephone,
with leds and buttons for all the special functions (Hold, Transfer, Intercom,
Speed Dial, Speakerphone, etc).  Using regular phones is possible on many
as a special feature.
AND the big heavy bad news is that it's intended for business users, so the
retail prices are towards the thousands of dollars range.  Maybe $1,000, but
still substantially more than you'd pay for a simple intercom system.

>The way this came about is that I was going to install some sort of an
>intercom, using either the power-line carrier or FM wireless variety and
>I got to thinking that I *already* have an intercom system: the
>telephones.  Any user would not have to learn how to yet another piece
>of electronic equipment.

First of all, your users are your family, so we're talking about something
controllable here.  Second, intercoms are pretty simple, aren't they?  I haven't
seen one that requires a college degree to operate.  Third, dialing #*55 to
activate it is certainly a special procedure that has to be taught, so there's
some learning even though it is using the same handset and keypad.
Fourth, the wireless intercoms often don't require that the callee go to the
intercom and press a button ... they can hear and answer from across the room,
only having to go to the intercom to be a caller.  Fifth, I most often use
an intercom to tell someone else that they have a call.  If your system
disconnects Ma Bell when used, then what do you do?  Tell the caller to hang
up, wait 60 seconds and call back, so that you can use the intercom to tell
your wife the next call will be for her?  Sixth, there are other advantages
to intercoms over telephones ... most can be used in a monitor mode, so you
have a built-in nursery monitor from any intercom location.

>+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
>|  Len Galasso                 | "Just a machine to make big decisions     |
>|  Systems and Software Inc.   |  Programmed by fellows with compassion    |
>|  len@syssoft.com             |  And Vision"                              |
>|  (714) 833-1700              |    Donald Fagen, "IGY", _The_Nightfly_    |
>+------------------------------+--------+----------------------------------+

Personally, I use a KSU and associated special telephones that were obsoleted
when my company bought a new phone system.  The retail value of the used KSU
system was low, so my cost, other than some installation pains, was low.
I could justify it as I have more than one phone line coming into the house,
and I can answer calls to any line from any phone.  And the special telephones
have built-in speakerphones for intercom use, so I have the advantages of
a regular intercom plus regular telephones.
--
Dave Buck	{aeras,amdahl,ames,ardent,daver,netcom,sun,zygot}!dlb!dave
D. L. Buck and Associates, Inc.; San Jose, California 95119; (408)972-2825

ken@earth.wustl.edu (Ken Krieger) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov12.181746.5465@syssoft.com> len@syssoft.com (Len Galasso) writes:

>I live in a four-bedroom, split-level house which has at least one phone
>jack in each room.  What I'd like to do is to allow the phone "network"--
>if you will--act like a local intercom when it isn't being used as a
>regular phone system.  More specifically, I'd like to be able to somehow
>
>+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
>|  Len Galasso                 | "Just a machine to make big decisions     |
>|  Systems and Software Inc.   |  Programmed by fellows with compassion    |
>|  len@syssoft.com             |  And Vision"                              |
>|  (714) 833-1700              |    Donald Fagen, "IGY", _The_Nightfly_    |
>+------------------------------+--------+----------------------------------+

Check out the newest DAK catalog... there is a phone system there that can
have up to I think six or eight different phones, no KSU, and can deal with
2 incomming phone lines.  Somehow the phones use the same wiring in the house
to let you intercom between the phones... like dial an extension, or
brodcast a message to all of them.  It looks cool to me!! the phones are about
 $130 if I remember correctly.

Let us know how they work if you decide to get a set!! (there is a 30 day
money back gaurantee)

ken

99681084@ucs.uwplatt.edu (99681084@ucs.uwplatt.edu Mike Gordon) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov12.181746.5465@syssoft.com>, len@syssoft.com (Len Galasso) writes:

> I live in a four-bedroom, split-level house which has at least one phone
> jack in each room.  What I'd like to do is to allow the phone "network"--
> if you will--act like a local intercom when it isn't being used as a
> regular phone system.  More specifically, I'd like to be able to somehow
> isolate the system from the "Phone Company" and by the use of a special
> ringing sequence which is obviously non-standard (at least for our region),
> say, a burst of short ringing tones, enable someone in the house to pick
> up the phone in any room and carry out a conversation.

   Check out the lastest Dak catalogue.  They have two 'mini-office' phones in
there that work on 1 or 2 regular lines, and can also use regular phones.  The
 system allows pageing, intercom, music on hold, etc.  But the most important
part is that you can still receive incoming phone calls while using the
intercom.

   The phone were realitively inexpensive when compared to going with an office
system.

(don't quote me on the features, as they're jut off the top of my head right
now.)

                                         /\/~~~~~~~~/\
                                        / /~~~~~~~~/  \ Mike Gordon
                                        \ \~~~~~~~~\  / 99681084@uwplatt.edu
                                         \/\~~~~~~~~\/

rkaufman@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (Roger Kaufman) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov14.180524.3459@dlb.uucp> dave@dlb.UUCP (Dave Buck) writes:
>In article <1990Nov12.181746.5465@syssoft.com> len@syssoft.com (Len Galasso) writes:
>>
>>I live in a four-bedroom, split-level house which has at least one phone
>>jack in each room.  What I'd like to do is to allow the phone "network"--
>>if you will--act like a local intercom when it isn't being used as a
>>regular phone system.

I live in a six-bedroom house spread over 4 levels :-) and so face the same
problem, but more so.  I have had good luck using intercoms bought at the
local Radio Shaft store.  They are the push-to-talk type with built-in
speaker and mike, and plug into the phone jack.  The phone then plugs into
a jack on the intercom.  They use the two unused wires in the 4-wire phone
cable.  I think they put out an FM signal.  They also have a built-in hold
button to put the phone on hold.  I have found the advantages are:

   * No extra wiring.  They use the existing phone wiring system.

   * The signal doesn't go outside the house because the two unused wires
     of the phone cable don't connect to ma bell's system.

   * They are completely quiet when nobody's talking... no hiss.

   * Reasonably priced... about $50 a pair.

   * All work together like a big party line... each station talks to
     all others.  I now have 6 stations.

   * The hold button works great for putting a call on hold while you use
     the intercom to tell somebody two floors up that they have a call.

   * So far, no interference or stray pickup from any electronic source.

Disadvantages:

   * It does require an extra unit (in addition to the telephone) at every
     station location.

   * With so many stations online, my system is starting to sound more
     like a pa system than an intercom. :-)

Anybody else had any experience with these?

--

Roger Kaufman, NCR PPD-Wichita, Wichita, Kansas, USA

rakoczynskij@rako.UUCP (Jurek Rakoczynski) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov12.181746.5465@syssoft.com>, len@syssoft.com (Len Galasso) writes:

> I live in a four-bedroom, split-level house which has at least one phone
> jack in each room.  What I'd like to do is to allow the phone "network"--
> if you will--act like a local intercom when it isn't being used as a
> regular phone system.  More specifically, I'd like to be able to somehow
 Remaining text deleted.

Radio & Electronics had several articles over the last several years to do
similiar projects, but if you want ideas for other ways to take advantage
of all your room phone jacks how about using some ideas out of Radio Shack.

1. They have a 2 station intercom that goes between the phone and wall jack.
   It provide a 'hold' function.  It probably uses the yel/blk leads of the
   4 wire phone line that should tie all the phone jacks together (just a
   guess on my part.  It probably won't work if you have the 'old' style
   Princes phone that used a wall transformer to send power on the yel/blk
   leads to light the buttons.). It's order # 43-206, price $49.94 in the
   1991 catalog.

2. You may want to try one of their 2 station (# 43-222, $14.95) or 4 station
   (#43-223, $24.95) intercoms.  These are provided with 66-ft cables to
   interconnet the units but you could shorten the cable and add a phone
   plug on the end.  Just wire to the yel/blk pins on the plug and plug
   into the jack.

All this assumes that you have a single line to your home that uses the
red/grn leads (standard practice, but do-it-yourselfers screw-up) and
no power on the yel/blk leads.

I have no association with Radio Shack, but they can be cheap.  :-)

--
UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!rakoczynskij
Inet: gtephx!rakoczynskij@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

lcz@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Lee Ziegenhals) (11/21/90)

rakoczynskij@rako.UUCP (Jurek Rakoczynski) writes:

>1. They have a 2 station intercom that goes between the phone and wall jack.
>   It provide a 'hold' function.  It probably uses the yel/blk leads of the
>   4 wire phone line that should tie all the phone jacks together (just a
>   guess on my part.  It probably won't work if you have the 'old' style
>   Princes phone that used a wall transformer to send power on the yel/blk
>   leads to light the buttons.). It's order # 43-206, price $49.94 in the
>   1991 catalog.

The yel/blk wires are not needed.  Instead, they use a FM signal around
200 KHz or so (I forget the exact value) over the regular phone line (red/
grn pair).  It will work fine regardless of the use of the other pair.  I
have a set, and I'm quite pleased with them.  I used to have a set of
intercoms that worked the same way except over the power line.  However, they
would not talk well to my workshop, which is on a separate circuit from
the power pole.  I switched to the ones you mention, and they work great!

Lee Ziegenhals
(lcz@sat.datapoint.com)