[sci.electronics] Design Tools for Electrical Engineering

positron@cosmic.berkeley.edu (Shigeki Misawa) (11/22/90)

	Hi, I am interested in finding out what design tools are
available for designing electronic circuits, circuit boards, IC, and
other design tools like schematic capture, or for signal processing
and other related fields. I would like to know what you use, how you
like it, and where you can get it. If there is sufficient I will post
a summary of what I find (and if there is sufficient sustained interest
I wouldn't mind posting such stuff on a regular basis)

Shigeki Misawa - UCB Physics Department

chik@eecg.toronto.edu (Raymond Chik) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov22.002945.24105@agate.berkeley.edu> positron@cosmic.berkeley.edu (Shigeki Misawa) writes:

>	Hi, I am interested in finding out what design tools are
>available for designing electronic circuits, circuit boards, IC, and
>other design tools like schematic capture, or for signal processing
>and other related fields. I would like to know what you use, how you
>like it, and where you can get it. .........

We use "Cadence" (or Edge.... Opus... etc) as the standard
IC design package in our group.

I like its concept of combining the whole design cycle into one
CAD package [schematic.... (Logic/Analog) simulation.....
layout..... (Logic/Analog)simulation...].
However, it needs very much effort to set up the whole environment
to make it user friendly enough. Too many bits and pieces you need
to worry about...... sometimes it takes hours to discover that
you cannot put a label somewhere on your schematic which is not
detected by the design rule checker but results in fatal error!

In terms of IC mask layout, I prefer "MAGIC". I've used it in
a course project and found it very enjoyable.

But it seems that people all around here (Ontario, Canada) are
using "Cadence".

BTW, the simulation softwares that are interfaced into our Cadence
include HSPICE, SILOS (and others that are not oftenly used).

I personally like the convenience of having all the things done
in one package. The only think I have complain on is the IC mask
layout part..... I simply don't like it very much. :-(

Anyone out there has unpleasent experience with Cadence?

Raymond Chik.
* May the force be with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
*         Raymond Y. V. Chik	           |_           \           _|   *
*         VLSI Research Grp.                 ||      --------     ||     *
*         Dept. of Elec. Eng.               _||o-+   | -+-+-   +-o||_    *
*         U. of Toronto                    |     |   |  +-+    |     |   *
*                                          |_    |   |  _|_    |    _|   *
*Internet:    chik@eecg.toronto.edu          ||--+   | | | |   +--||     *
*	      chik@vrg.toronto.edu	    _||     /  | | |	  ||_    *
*      8-)      >-(      |-<       %->	   |	         |           |   *

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (11/24/90)

I cannot recommend Workview Viewlogic strongly enough.  It is a powerful
DESIGN capture program that integrates Digital AND Analog spice
along with PLD development tools and even has a component pre-placement
module to feed into the printed circuit board package.

It is available for Sun and DEC platforms (sun3/sun4/etc.) along with '386.

Call (800) CAE-VIEW to get in touch with your local sales office.  They are
interested in getting stations out in the educational market...

There is more to learn with Workview than the inexpensive programs like Orcad
because of the abundant features but the tutorials are very nice and
the package is designed to be productive.  Viewlogic has done a great job
of incorporating customer requests for features and improvements.
-----
 "Lets go kick some Earthling butt!" -- Spaced Invaders

                                    quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                                    uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf