[sci.electronics] Motorola 68HC11 EVB board

dmartin@uceng.UC.EDU (Dale Martin) (11/12/90)

I am a student considering purchasing the evaluation board mentioned
above.  Has anyone purchased this through motorola's educational discount?
What do you use as a power supply? (and how much did it cost?)
	Also, does anyone know of an assembler that can be used with an
Amiga for this board?
	Any experience/advice would be appreciated.

To the beautiful and the wise,        |                    dmartin@uceng.uc.edu
the mirror always lies.  -Rush        |                    -Dale Martin

wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) (11/14/90)

>In article <4841@optilink.UUCP> witkowsk@optilink.UUCP (Dave Witkowski) writes:
>From article <6690@uceng.UC.EDU>, by dmartin@uceng.UC.EDU (Dale Martin):
>> I am a student considering purchasing the evaluation board mentioned
>> above.  Has anyone purchased this through motorola's educational discount?

>> 	Also, does anyone know of an assembler that can be used with an
>> Amiga for this board?
>> 	Any experience/advice would be appreciated.

I don't know for sure, but the Motorla bulletin board (512) 891-3733 has
a lot of development software for the 68HC11, and there's an Amiga section
in the files for downloading.  I haven't looked specifically for 68HC11
software though, but you might try it.

|       //                  Wayne D. Diener                     |
|      //                   Spokane, WA                         |
|  \\ //     E-mail reply to:                                   |
|   \X/      To: isc-br!hawk!wddami!wayned@uunet.uu.net         |

witkowsk@optilink.UUCP (Dave Witkowski) (11/14/90)

From article <6690@uceng.UC.EDU>, by dmartin@uceng.UC.EDU (Dale Martin):
> I am a student considering purchasing the evaluation board mentioned
> above.  Has anyone purchased this through motorola's educational discount?
No, but I did get a deal thru Future Electronic ($68.11)

> What do you use as a power supply? (and how much did it cost?)
I built my own from a junked piece of gear.  Any 5V supply will work, the board is self-regulated.  Use .1 uf decoupling caps on any external logic.

> 	Also, does anyone know of an assembler that can be used with an
> Amiga for this board?
> 	Any experience/advice would be appreciated.

No assembler for Amiga, but I do have a better Assembler for the
PC.  There may be other options, I'd have to ask around.

UUCP: {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa} optilink!witkowsk

newton@ils.nwu.edu (David Newton) (11/14/90)

>> What do you use as a power supply? (and how much did it cost?)
>I built my own from a junked piece of gear.  Any 5V supply will work, the
>board is self-regulated.  Use .1 uf decoupling caps on any external logic.

   That's strange, my board also required +/- 12V for the serial ports.

--
David L. Newton	    |  Work: (708) 491-4791  | VR is great!!  I died in one-
ILS, Room 327       |  Home: (708) 332-2321  | (with virtual  insurance,  of

<LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (11/15/90)

In article <4841@optilink.UUCP>, witkowsk@optilink.UUCP (Dave Witkowski) says:

>>       Also, does anyone know of an assembler that can be used with an
>> Amiga for this board?
>>       Any experience/advice would be appreciated.
>>
>No assembler for Amiga, but I do have a better Assembler for the
>PC.  There may be other options, I'd have to ask around.

There is the AS11 available from the Motorola FreeWare BBS. It is in the Amiga
directory. Too bad they don't mention it nor include it as part of the package.
(They would rather have a version for a machine that don't use their CPU lines)
I don't have the FreeWare #, but it is in the HC-11 package.

>UUCP: {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa} optilink!witkowsk

K. C. Lee
Elec. Eng. Grad. Student   <-- disclaimer

hanavin@udel.edu (Chuck Hanavin) (11/15/90)

In article <2551@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> newton@ils.nwu.edu (David Newton) writes:
>>> What do you use as a power supply? (and how much did it cost?)

We are using an Astec 70 watt switching supply, sold by Jameco (415-592-8097),
order # PS12661. It cost $19.95. It has +5VDC @ 7amps, +12VDC @2amps, and
-12VDC @ .5amps.

pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (11/16/90)

writes:
> No, but I did get a deal thru Future Electronic ($68.11)

Could you please post the address?

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

elec140@canterbury.ac.nz (11/16/90)

								    writes:
>>> What do you use as a power supply? (and how much did it cost?)
>>I built my own from a junked piece of gear.  Any 5V supply will work, the
>>board is self-regulated.  Use .1 uf decoupling caps on any external logic.
>
>  That's strange, my board also required +/- 12V for the serial ports.

One of my friends in our dept. is using the 68HC11 EVB. It requires +5V and
+/-12V supplies. He's using a lab power supply (+5V and 2 variable outputs) so
no problem. Can't help with the Amiga assembler, he uses the standard IBM PC
assembler that comes with the board, and downloads programs over the serial
port using (I think) Kermit.

Chris Kaiser
Postgrad - Elec Eng Dept
Canterbury University
Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND

E.MAIL: c.kaiser@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
	"When you're fresh out of lawyers
 	 You don't know how good it's gonna feel"
		- Al Stewart, 1988

jeff@carroll1.cc.edu (Jeff Bartig) (11/19/90)

wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) writes:

>>In article <4841@optilink.UUCP> witkowsk@optilink.UUCP (Dave Witkowski) writes:
>>From article <6690@uceng.UC.EDU>, by dmartin@uceng.UC.EDU (Dale Martin):
>>> I am a student considering purchasing the evaluation board mentioned
>>> above.  Has anyone purchased this through motorola's educational discount?

If you are a student or faculty member, give Motorola University
Relations a call at (602) 952-3857.  They should be able to give
you all the info you need on ordering a 68hc11evb.

>>> 	Also, does anyone know of an assembler that can be used with an
>>> Amiga for this board?
>>> 	Any experience/advice would be appreciated.
>>>
>I don't know for sure, but the Motorla bulletin board (512) 891-3733 has
>a lot of development software for the 68HC11, and there's an Amiga section
>in the files for downloading.  I haven't looked specifically for 68HC11
>software though, but you might try it.

Their bulletin board does have an Amiga section.  I haven't used any
of this software, since I don't have an Amiga.  The following is from
the Amiga section of the BBS.

+       ******************* AMIGA.DIR Directory **********************
+       * Programs for the AMIGA as used to develop MCU applications.*
+       **************************************************************
+	These files were uploaded by Users. They are *NOT* known to be
+	bug-free, but are believed to be safe. If this is a problem for
+	you, you may want to use commercial products, not Freeware.
+
amiga1	 M6801 assembler for amiga.
amiga4	 M6804 assembler for amiga.
amiga5	 M6805 assembler for amiga.
amiga9	 M6809 assembler for amiga.
amiga11	 M6811 assembler for amiga.
readme.txt	 Notes from the author.
ami_asms.arc	 Archive of all Assemblers
asm.doc	 Users manual for the assemblers.
asemamig.arc	 <-+ The FREEWARE assemblers as upgaded
relsamig.doc	 | by Terry Rogers.
as11amig.arc	 |
as5amig.arc	 <-+

I hope this helps you out.

Jeff

--
 Jeff Bartig, Carroll College   |     "The sooner you fall
 jeff@carroll1.cc.edu           |   behind, the more time you

phil@b11.ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (11/19/90)

In article <4841@optilink.UUCP> witkowsk@optilink.UUCP (Dave Witkowski) writes:
>From article <6690@uceng.UC.EDU>, by dmartin@uceng.UC.EDU (Dale Martin):
>> I am a student considering purchasing the evaluation board mentioned

>> 	Also, does anyone know of an assembler that can be used with an
>> Amiga for this board?
>> 	Any experience/advice would be appreciated.

There is a set of public domain, Amiga-based, Motorola assemblers available
for download from Motorola's Dr. BuB bulletin board.  I do not have the
telephone number available now, but you can get them from your local Motorola
office.  I have use the MC6809, MC 68HC11, and the MC6805 assembler without
any overt problems.

--
Philip E. Johnson   Nobodys opinions           UUCP: uunet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil

ifaq570@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (allen kitchen) (11/26/90)

	The phone number for Dr. Bub  BBS is
	(512)-891-3771

c/o allen kitchen