[sci.electronics] Audio/Computer use of CD's, DAT's

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (11/20/90)

I'm putting together a LAN which will be storing lots of images (sheet music
primarily) so I plan to include a Erasable/WORM optical drive for archival
and a DAT drive for backup.

For Postscript libraries I thought I'd also include a CD-ROM drive.

Question:  Can the CD-ROM and DAT drives read (and write - DAT) standard
		audio formats?

Fantasy: selectively copy music from CD/DAT to WORM (and be able to play it back
		over network??)
	also be able to write this music to DAT

I don't wish to break any copyright laws - I'm hoping that by the time the
system is ready to use in this manner, I'll be able to work something out
legally.  However, I need the hardware for data storage now.  So, I want
to get hardware that eventually can do both if it is possible.

Thanks for any insight!

--kyler

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (11/21/90)

On <Nov 19 16:17> Kyler Laird writes:

 KL> Question:  Can the CD-ROM and DAT drives read (and write - DAT) standard
 KL>                 audio formats?

From many ads I've seen CD-ROM drives seem to be able to read audio CDs.

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (11/29/90)

In article <1632.2749A722@ofa123.fidonet.org> rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) writes:
>On <Nov 19 16:17> Kyler Laird writes:
>
> KL> Question:  Can the CD-ROM and DAT drives read (and write - DAT) standard
> KL>                 audio formats?
>
>From many ads I've seen CD-ROM drives seem to be able to read audio CDs.

O.k., I goofed.  In talking with several others in the field, I realized that the
question isn't as clear to everyone as it is to me.

I don't want to simply read the subcode information (or whatever it is that
says "Hi, I'm disk number #123456").  I also don't want analog out (headphone
jack).  I know that these are common features.

What I am after is a hardware/software combo that can read the AUDIO information
from the CD/DAT, store it somewhere else (floppy, WORM, DAT, paper tape, ...),
read it back in, and THEN convert it to analog (audio) out.  Essentially, a huge
buffer between the digital out and the DAC.

Thanks for the help - I think this is a subject of interest, especially with
copy protection on DAT's...

--kyler