[sci.electronics] FM Broadcast Translator

crisp@uncecs.edu (Russ Crisp) (11/30/90)

Hello netlanders.
Is there anyone out there who can help me understand how
a FM broadcast translator works?  Specifically, I need to
know how the signal from the station being rebroadcast
is extracted from the receiver side of the translator,
what form it is in upon extraction, and how it is applied
to the transmitter side.  It would seem illogical to decode
the stereo subcarrier, deemphasis it, only to turn around
and encode the stereo signals, and add preemphasis again.
Anybody got an idea here, or a good book to refer to on this
subject?
Regards,
Russ Crisp
Systems Analyst - Western Carolina University
INTERNET: crisp@wcuvax3.wcu.edu

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov29.180715.18701@uncecs.edu> crisp@uncecs.edu (Russ Crisp) writes:
>Is there anyone out there who can help me understand how
>a FM broadcast translator works?

Translators are fairly simple.  The kind used for FM broadcasting
have an RF amplifier followed by a local oscillator and mixer to
provide 10.7 MHz.  This is passed through an IF filter to improve
selectivity.  So far, nothing is different than an ordinary FM
tuner.  Next, another local oscillator and mixer are used to beat
the 10.7 MHz IF to the desired output frequency.  This is then
filtered and amplified and sent to the transmitting antenna.

At no point is the signal demodulated, so all the subcarriers will
be intact.

--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill