[sci.electronics] Adding External D/A to Phillips CD Player

sgm@otter.hpl.hp.com (Steve Methley) (11/29/90)

spicer@janus.trl.oz (Steve Spicer, Telecom Research Labs, CS&S Branch) asks in
> A friend of mine (really!) has a CD player and external Digital-to-Analogue
> converter that he wants to connect together. The units concerened are:
>
>                   *  Philips 204 CD player
>                   *  Meridian 203 D/A Converter.........
> ..........CD player is rather old now, and has no "raw" digital outputs.

I don't know the exact Philips player, but chances are that it contains second
generation Philips chips, as do lots of other non-Philips players, with the
notable exception of Japanese players.  Anyone who wants a standard digital
audio output from any such player has a fairly simple task:  Find the SAA7220
chip and.., well that's it really, as the chip has a digital audio output
provided.  You need to provide a rear panel socket, a capacitor and two
resistors.

Details like pin number and values are to be found in the full Philips
datasheet for the SAA7220, which I don't presently have to hand, but is freely
available.

Hope this helps, and is of general interest.

Cheers,
Steve.
These are my own opinions.

spicer@janus.trl.oz (Steve Spicer, Telecom Research Labs, CS&S Branch) (11/30/90)

A friend of mine (really!) has a CD player and external Digital-to-Analogue
converter that he wants to connect together. The units concerened are:

                  *  Philips 204 CD player
                  *  Meridian 203 D/A Converter

I am not sure that these two units could even be made to work together as the
CD player is rather old now, and has no "raw" digital outputs. The Meridian
has an IEC958 75 Ohm Digital input, and also an EIAJ Optical input.

If anyone could confirm that these can/cannot be made to work I would
appreciate it. I am of course prepared to "hack" into the CD player!

Steve Spicer
<29-NOV-1990-12:31>
______________________________________________________________  ____ ___  ,  __
Voice   : +61 3 541 6767         |                               /  /__/ /
Fax     : +61 3 543 6026         |                              /  /  \ /__
Internet: s.spicer@trl.oz.au     |            Clayton, Victoria, Australia  3150

jim@fuji.eng.Yale.edu (James J. Szinger) (12/01/90)

In article <1770024@otter.hpl.hp.com> sgm@otter.hpl.hp.com (Steve
Methley) writes:

>spicer@janus.trl.oz (Steve Spicer, Telecom Research Labs, CS&S Branch) asks in
>> A friend of mine (really!) has a CD player and external Digital-to-Analogue
>> converter that he wants to connect together. The units concerened are:
>>
>>                   *  Philips 204 CD player
>>                   *  Meridian 203 D/A Converter.........
>> ..........CD player is rather old now, and has no "raw" digital outputs.

> Anyone who wants a standard digital
> audio output from any such player has a fairly simple task:  Find the SAA7220
> chip and.., well that's it really, as the chip has a digital audio output
> provided.  You need to provide a rear panel socket, a capacitor and two
> resistors.

I have a Magnavox CD player and a wondering if I can get digital
output from it.  Unfortunately it has a SAA7210 as its decoder.
The chip has separate outputs for the decoded digital audio
stream, the subcodes, and the like.  Does anybody out there have
any idea on how difficult it would be to recombine everything
into a standard digital output stream.

Thanks,
Jim