[sci.electronics] VCR audio tracks

rdw2030@venus.tamu.edu (WIDRIG, RAQUEL DAWN) (12/03/90)

I once posted this question on rec.video, just before our system quit getting
it!  GRRR...

Is there a difference between the stereo audio tracks of VHS VCRs and HIFI audio
tracks.  I have a former roommate who always claimed that there is a difference.
The day after I posted this question, we stopped getting the video group, so I
would appreciate an answer here.

Thanks.

Mark C. Lowe - KB5III
RDW2030@TAMVENUS.BITNET

frankl@xrtll.uucp (Frank Lemire) (12/03/90)

> (about VCR audio tracks, and the difference between HiFi and normal)

   The way I've had it explained to me makes some sence.   Along the
edge of the tape, there is linear track reserved for audio.  Just
using this track will give you "normal" sound, nothing special.

    Recording in HiFi changes your sound dramitcally.  Instead of just
using the linear track, sound is encoded along with the picture in the
videotrack.  I dont know the exact method of encoding, but it seems to
use both the linear and video tracks to create a much fuller sound.

   Coupled with Dolby NR and perhaps surround sound, the effect is
stunning.

--
| Frank Lemire  -  frankl@ [xrtll,torag,pnet91].UUCP    | This is the End, |
|    Toronto    -   zippo@ [intacc,contact].UUCP (pick) | Beautiful Friend.|

bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Bender) (12/04/90)

In article <7607@lanl.gov> rdw2030@venus.tamu.edu writes:
>I once posted this question on rec.video, just before our system quit getting
>it!  GRRR...
>
>Is there a difference between the stereo audio tracks of VHS VCRs and HIFI audio
>tracks.  I have a former roommate who always claimed that there is a difference.
>The day after I posted this question, we stopped getting the video group, so I
>would appreciate an answer here.

Yes, the stereo audio tracks on VHS are linear tracks, i.e. they are recorded
by the same method used to record audio tape.  The HiFi audio tracks (also
stereo) are recorded under (or deeper) than the video signal by 2 or more
additional audio heads on the rotating (video) head drum.  The HiFi tracks
are frequency multiplexed and recorded as one signal.  Two (or more) HiFi
audio heads are used since the tape doesn't wrap completely around the head
drum.

mike
--
Won't look like rain,           Won't look like snow,            | DOD #000007
Won't look like fog,            That's all we know!              | AMA #511250