[sci.electronics] infrared project

prinz@cod.NOSC.MIL (Robert A. Prinzivalli) (12/05/90)

 In a previous message I asked for information on infrared sensors for a
 project to try to detect and count elephants in a dense forest.  First,
 I want to thank of those who provided suggestions and information.  Also,
 I would like to tell those interested about an experiment that we con-
 ducted at the San Diego Wild Animal Park on Saturday December 1.   We had
 donated to us the services of a company called Air Scan who had a FLIR
 (Forward Looking Infrared) Sensor.  The test was conducted at night with
 two elephants.  One elephant was positioned in the woods and the other was
 positioned out in the open.  The aircraft carrinying the FLIR orbited the
 area and took video recordings of the scene.  The results were as I and a
 few of you expected.  The elephant in the open showed up brightly in the
 infrared.  The one in the forest could only be scene when the aircraft
 moved in such a position that the elephant was exposed or was in a part of
 the vegetation that was not very dense, otherwise no detection was possible.
    Unfortunately this means that infrared cannot be used to count elephants
 in a dense rainforest and some other methods must be developed.
    Some of you provided other possible methods and we will investigate them.
 Again thanks for the ideas.
    Also, in a week or two I will be showing the video tape of the infrared
 experiment at the Naval Ocean Systems Center in San Diego.  All those with
 near San Diego are invited, however you need a clearance to visit NOSC.
    If there is any interest I will provide a time and date when I get a
 chance to schedule the presentation.

                               Regards,

                               Bob Prinzivalli
Subject: infrared project