[sci.electronics] full-spectrum lamps?

frankl@xrtll.uucp (Frank Lemire) (12/02/90)

  Lately theres been alot of talk here about the compact florescent
lightbulb.  Nice bulbs, but if you dont like florscent light, theres not
much you can do.  Recently I saw what was billed as a full-spectrum lamp.

  The salesman couldn't help me at all, so why not ask the net.   Are
these any good?  is it like sunlight?

  Thanks for any help..

--
| Frank Lemire  -  frankl@ [xrtll,torag,pnet91].UUCP    | This is the End, |
|    Toronto    -   zippo@ [intacc,contact].UUCP (pick) | Beautiful Friend.|

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec2.075008.6832@xrtll.uucp> frankl@xrtll.uucp (Frank Lemire) writes:

|  Lately theres been alot of talk here about the compact florescent
|lightbulb.  Nice bulbs, but if you dont like florscent light, theres not
|much you can do.

The nicest response I can give to that is that you obviously have
never seen a compact fluorescent lamp. Nor can you spell it.

--
Intentions are often more important than capabilities.

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.053428.810@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <1990Dec2.075008.6832@xrtll.uucp> frankl@xrtll.uucp (Frank Lemire) writes:
>|  Lately theres been alot of talk here about the compact florescent
>|lightbulb.  Nice bulbs, but if you dont like florscent light, theres not
>|much you can do.
>The nicest response I can give to that is that you obviously have
>never seen a compact fluorescent lamp. Nor can you spell it.

Regardless of whether or not Frank can spell it right, I agree that the light
from compact fluorescents is miserable. My in-laws have installed them
all over their house, and it drives me crazy to be there after dark.

I'm fond of halogens. More light per watt, long life, nice spectrum. But
they aren't cheap and they aren't as energy efficient as fluorescents.
So I guess Frank was right.

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

jdwhite@alzabo.uucp (John White) (12/06/90)

frankl@xrtll.uucp (Frank Lemire) writes:

>  Lately theres been alot of talk here about the compact florescent
>lightbulb.  Nice bulbs, but if you dont like florscent light, theres not
>much you can do.  Recently I saw what was billed as a full-spectrum lamp.
>
>  The salesman couldn't help me at all, so why not ask the net.   Are
>these any good?  is it like sunlight?
>
>  Thanks for any help..
>
>--
>| Frank Lemire  -  frankl@ [xrtll,torag,pnet91].UUCP    | This is the End, |
>|    Toronto    -   zippo@ [intacc,contact].UUCP (pick) | Beautiful Friend.|
>|    Canada     * [Ask me for a copy of my bootleg list]| My only friend,  |
>|      uunet!yonge.csri.toronto.edu!sq!geac!torag!frankl|         The End. |

I picked up a couple of full spectrum florscent lamps which are 18W and
(supposedly) output as much light as a 75W incandescent.  The light they
produce is approximately the same color as incandescents, a soft slightly
yellow light.

The bulbs are Philips SL*18, and I bought them at Pascal (generic houseware
store) for $29.95.  Phillips claims they last 1 to 8 years, depending on
how long they are on each day.

JD (jdwhite@alzabo.UUCP)
"In an insane society, a sane man must appear insane" - Spock

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec5.200452.23842@alzabo.uucp> jdwhite@alzabo.uucp (John White) writes:
|The bulbs are Philips SL*18, and I bought them at Pascal (generic houseware
|store) for $29.95.  Phillips claims they last 1 to 8 years, depending on

I have a couple of these. Very pricey, but the light is of good
quality, nice color, no flicker. Output in lumens is very close
to a real 75 W bulb. (1100 vs 1190, <1190 if you have soft white
or similar bulbs)

Their rated life is about 12 times that of a regular bulb, which
can be very attractive in fixtures that are difficult to change.

Only drawback (aside from price and larger size => doesn't fit all
fixtures)) is they can take a long time to warm up, especially in the
winter. Full warmup can take maybe a minute if the temp is around 60.

Anyway, much better than the Panasonics, which flicker when
they come on and only give 720 lumens.

The shape is more attractive than Lights of America, but LOA
seems brighter and comes on instantly. LOA is the only CF
I've seen that does come on instantly. If you are used to
turning the lights on and off when you enter and leave a
room, lights that are slow to turn on can be annoying.

--

In article <13425@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:
|Regardless of whether or not Frank can spell it right, I agree that the light
|from compact fluorescents is miserable. My in-laws have installed them
|all over their house, and it drives me crazy to be there after dark.

What is it you don't like about CF and what type did your in-laws put in?
I can't believe anyone could complain about the light from a lamp like
the Philips SL18.

|I'm fond of halogens. More light per watt, long life, nice spectrum. But
|they aren't cheap and they aren't as energy efficient as fluorescents.

Halogens are certainly better than regular incandescents and have no equal
for a fine point source, but they're still not that efficient.

My calculations show a 500 W Q-H at 21 lumens/watt compared to 16 lumens/watt
for a 75 W I. However, a 150 W I gives 19 l/w and a 300 W I gives 21.2 l/w.

I don't have any numbers for the lower power Q-H and would love to get some.

--
Intentions are often more important than capabilities.