[sci.electronics] HELP - Nintendo on the blink

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (12/04/90)

        Our nine month old Nintendo is on the blink and I would
     appreciate pointers to information (schematic would be great but I
     won't hold my breath) about it.

        The power ON light blinks even when no game has been inserted. I've
     tried cleaning the contacts on the game connector and have done a
     visual inspection.  I have not checked the 7805 voltage regulator yet.

        Would I be correct in assuming that the blinking light indicates
      an overload ?

    Thank you;
Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370        {mips,pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Signetics in Sunnyvale,Ca (USA)
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships: Every extinction, whether
 animal, mineral, vegetable, or cultural hastens our own demise.

robin@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robin Amano) (12/04/90)

In article <48191@prls.UUCP> gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:

>        The power ON light blinks even when no game has been inserted. I've
>     tried cleaning the contacts on the game connector and have done a
>     visual inspection.  I have not checked the 7805 voltage regulator yet.
>
>        Would I be correct in assuming that the blinking light indicates
>      an overload ?

      I thought it was normal for the power light to blink
      when no cartridge is in the machine?  Mine works fine
      with a cartridge in and blinks with no cartridge.

  Robin Amano          |  robin@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
  UHCC                 |
  2565 The Mall        |  Honolulu, HI  96822

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (12/05/90)

-

In article <10478@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> robin@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robin Amano) writes:
-
-      I thought it was normal for the power light to blink
-      when no cartridge is in the machine?  Mine works fine
-      with a cartridge in and blinks with no cartridge.
-

      Thanks Robin, that's nice to know.  However .....
      It also blinks when any cartridge is inserted.

esmith@goofy.apple.com (Eric Smith) (12/05/90)

In article <48236@prls.UUCP> gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:

> Thanks Robin, that's nice to know.  However .....
> It also blinks when any cartridge is inserted.

Sounds like the "copy protection" chip has died.  There is one of these in
the base unit and one in each cartridge.  If they can't handshake, the one
in the base resets the uP about once a second.

If it has gone out, you could just disconnect the reset output from the
uP.  Gosh, then you could even run cartridges without the chip!  Should I
say EPROM progr_____?  Naaaaaah!

--
Eric L. Smith      Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those
esmith@apple.com   of my employer, friends, family, computer, or even me!  :-)

jws@thumper.mlb.semi.harris.com (James W. Swonger) (12/05/90)

 Since it doesn't seem to know that you've inserted a cartridge, you might want to look in the cartridge slot for some sort of "Cartridge Inserted" switch
which could be messed up or for bent contacts in the cartridge connector.
Maybe somebody fed Mr. Nintendo the wrong color crayon.

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec5.135543.27537@mlb.semi.harris.com> jws@thumper.mlb.semi.harris.com (James W. Swonger) writes:

> Since it doesn't seem to know that you've inserted a cartridge, you might
> want to look in the cartridge slot for some sort of "Cartridge Inserted"
> switch which could be messed up or for bent contacts in the cartridge
> connector. Maybe somebody fed Mr. Nintendo the wrong color crayon.
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                               First thing I did. Last time it was a red one.
    No Switch.
    All contacts look good.  Five volt power supply looks good. I now believe
  that the uP is being reset (about once per second) maybe by the copy protect
  IC ( a proprietary, Nintendo owned chip).
    I don't suppose anyone has noticed Nintendo on the net ?  It's not likely
   I'll be able to buy a new chip but would have a better chance if I were
   to correspond with a real human being instead of some robot in Customer
   Service. :)

keating@motcid.UUCP (Edward Keating) (12/07/90)

In article <ESMITH.90Dec4222202@goofy.apple.com>, esmith@goofy.apple.com (Eric Smith) writes:
> In article <48236@prls.UUCP> gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:
>
> > Thanks Robin, that's nice to know.  However .....
> > It also blinks when any cartridge is inserted.
>
> Sounds like the "copy protection" chip has died.  There is one of these in
> the base unit and one in each cartridge.  If they can't handshake, the one
> in the base resets the uP about once a second.

I agree that the game is not able to talk to the cartridge.

If your Nintendo game has been abused by the younger members of the family
you might find out that slamming the cartridge into the slot was wrong.
I found that some cartridges PC board would move slightly and thus
not make good contact when placed into the machine. Pulling on the board with
a pair of thin nose pliers seemed to correct those cartridges.
Additionally, pushing the cartridge in too far can be a problem.
The most reliable position for the cartridge is to be pushed in just far enough
to close the door. If the door rubs against the cartridge when closing, then
you have the ideal position. (The significance of this is important if you
play one of the monolithic games that take several hours to get interesting.
i.e. Zelda/Link, etc.) Pushing the cartridge in too far reduces the spring
contact pressure on the pc board within the cartridge and thus causes problems.
Contact cleaners help a small bit, but cartridge placement helps the most.

--
Ed Keating, Motorola,General Systems Sector,  1501 W. Shure Drive
uunet!motcid!keating			Arlington Heights, Il 60004

Where did Worf (It is a good day to die.. ) go to school to learn Klingon?