[sci.electronics] "Joke....."

chik@eecg.toronto.edu (Raymond Chik) (12/07/90)

The following is a joke taken from a student newspaper published
by our Dept. of EE.

	###First Law of EE:
	Electronics devices work on smoke; as long as the
	smoke stays inside the components, they work,
	but when the smoke escapes, they don't!

        ###Second Law of EE:
	Wierdness is not conserved, in factt there is an
	infinite amount of weirdness in the universe.
	Without careful attention, most electronic circuits will
	amplify, or even create weirdness.
	The most important think to know about weirdness is that
	the only thing that can absorb it is capacitors.
	In cases of excessive weirdness, throw on a few capacitors.

	**NOTE: We have all heard of the dangers of PCB's
	in the environment, but most people don't know
	why they are dangerous. PCB's have a very high coefficient
	of weirdness absorption. This makes them very useful
	for making capacitors and transformers. What people
	don't know is that PCB's become unstable in the lon-term
	and all of teh weirdness that they absorbed over the
	years leaks out in its raw and deadly form.

* May the force be with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
*         Raymond Y. V. Chik	           |_           \           _|   *
*         VLSI Research Grp.                 ||      --------     ||     *
*         Dept. of Elec. Eng.               _||o-+   | -+-+-   +-o||_    *
*         U. of Toronto                    |     |   |  +-+    |     |   *
*                                          |_    |   |  _|_    |    _|   *
*Internet:    chik@eecg.toronto.edu          ||--+   | | | |   +--||     *
*	      chik@vrg.toronto.edu	    _||     /  | | |	  ||_    *
*      8-)      >-(      |-<       %->	   |	         |           |   *

elec140@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec6.231300.28710@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, chik@eecg.toronto.edu (Raymond Chik) writes:
> The following is a joke taken from a student newspaper published
> by our Dept. of EE.
>
> 	###First Law of EE:
> 	Electronics devices work on smoke; as long as the
> 	smoke stays inside the components, they work,
> 	but when the smoke escapes, they don't!

We'd always been told it was compressed smoke. Devices such as power
transistors and MOSFET's have to handle larger currents, hence they require
higher pressure smoke. A side effect of this is that if they develop leaks, the
higher pressure can cause the failure to be quite spectacular.

Chris Kaiser
Postgrad - Elec Eng Dept
Canterbury University
Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND

E.MAIL: kaiser@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
	"When you're fresh out of lawyers
 	 You don't know how good it's gonna feel"
		- Al Stewart, 1988