[sci.electronics] X-10, GE Homeminder Tech info needed

whoffman@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Walt Hoffman) (11/29/90)

I recently bought a surplus GE Homeminder system which controls BSR X-10
modules.  The system hooks up a television, uses a remote control to program
times for turn on/off and gives a graphical representation on-screen of the
state of each device.  It also has a telephone connection to control modules
and leave messages from remote.

Everthing appears to work (video, telephone, memos, programming) but the
x-10 codes don't seem to be transmitted.  I have examined all the solder
joints and checked the optos and transistors on the power board but to no
avail.  I am figuring since the cpu is working fine, it is an interface
problem.

Is the any documentation available on the BSR/X-10 interface that I could
use to understand how the Homeminder is sending out the codes on the AC
line?  I have my own ideas but if it is available somewhere I could sure
use the help.

--
Walt Hoffman -- Jet Propulsion Laboratory
whoffman@jato.jpl.nasa.gov or elroy!jato!whoffman@csvax.caltech.edu

dave@dlb.uucp (Dave Buck) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov28.200654.29590@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> whoffman@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Walt Hoffman) writes:
>I recently bought a surplus GE Homeminder system which controls BSR X-10
>modules.  ....
>Everthing appears to work (video, telephone, memos, programming) but the
>x-10 codes don't seem to be transmitted. ....
>Is the any documentation available on the BSR/X-10 interface that I could
>use to understand how the Homeminder is sending out the codes on the AC
>line?  ....

You don't state how you come to the conclusion that it doesn't send the
codes.  I can either assume you're experienced with X-10 devices, or that
you're a novice.  If you're the latter send me mail, we'll discuss it offline.
If you're experienced, then I assume you've plugged some other X-10 controller
into the same outlet and verified you don't have a basic problem.
Basic problems include the device you're wanting to control being on a
different 120v leg of your house wiring (fairly common problem), interference
from wireless intercom (which also uses carrier current transmission),
wrong house code selected, ....
BSR/X-10 controllers use a proprietary circuit to transmit a serial message
with pulses at the top of each AC cycle, I believe.  And I seem to have read
a technical description of the coding in the documentation included with
the CP290 PC-programmable X-10 controller, which is not with me at the moment.

--
Dave Buck	{aeras,amdahl,ames,ardent,daver,netcom,sun,zygot}!dlb!dave
D. L. Buck and Associates, Inc.; San Jose, California 95119; (408)972-2825

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (11/30/90)

On <Nov 28 20:06> Walt Hoffman writes:

 WH> Is the any documentation available on the BSR/X-10 interface that I could
 WH> use to understand how the Homeminder is sending out the codes on the AC
 WH> line?  I have my own ideas but if it is available somewhere I could sure
 WH> use the help.

The X-10 coding scheme involves sending a carrier burst (about 35khz, I've
forgotten the exact number) or not sending a carrier burst at the zero crossing
of the 60hz line voltage.

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org

gny@doe.carleton.ca (George N. Yaremchuk) (12/01/90)

In <1990Nov28.200654.29590@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> whoffman@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Walt Hoffman) writes:

>I recently bought a surplus GE Homeminder system which controls BSR X-10
>modules.  The system hooks up a television, uses a remote control to program
>times for turn on/off and gives a graphical representation on-screen of the
>use the help.

>--
>Walt Hoffman -- Jet Propulsion Laboratory
>whoffman@jato.jpl.nasa.gov or elroy!jato!whoffman@csvax.caltech.edu

Radio Electronics published a project that uses and describes the BSR
system.  Check out 'Phonlink II' in the feb/march 1989 issues.

GNY

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (12/02/90)

In article <1733.2755C118@ofa123.fidonet.org>, rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) writes:
| On <Nov 28 20:06> Walt Hoffman writes:
|
|  WH> Is the any documentation available on the BSR/X-10 interface that I could
|  WH> use to understand how the Homeminder is sending out the codes on the AC
|  WH> line?  I have my own ideas but if it is available somewhere I could sure
|  WH> use the help.
|
| The X-10 coding scheme involves sending a carrier burst (about 35khz, I've
| forgotten the exact number) or not sending a carrier burst at the zero
| crossing of the 60hz line voltage.

120 KHz, and there are pulses for each of the 3 possible phases, 120
degrees apart.

See Circuit Cellar Ink #2, May/June 1988

Markz@ssc.uucp

rick@ofa123.fidonet.org (Rick Ellis) (12/04/90)

On <Dec 01 20:17> Mark Zenier writes:

 MZ> there are pulses for each of the 3 possible phases, 120 degrees apart.

True, but only the one on the real zero crossing counts.

 MZ> See Circuit Cellar Ink #2, May/June 1988

I have the real spec from X10 around here someplace, but since we moved to a
bigger office...

--
Rick Ellis
Internet: rick@ofa123.fidonet.org
Compuserve: >internet:rick@ofa123.fidonet.org
BBS: 714 939-1041

whester@isis.cs.du.edu (William R. Hester) (12/12/90)

I remember an article, or series, in the magazine "Radio-Electronics" about
a year or two (or longer...gee how time flies) ago.

They had a project to interface with the BSR X-10 system and they explained
the frequencies used and the addressing/command protocols.

Sorry I can't be of more help...but as one ages, the mind turns to the
consistency of strawberry Jello with banannas sunk to the bottom.

--
Bill Hester, Ham Radio N0LAJ, Denver CO., USA | N0LAJ @ W0LJF.CO.USA.NA
Please route replies to: whester@nyx.cs.du.edu or uunet!nyx!whester