[sci.electronics] A Wonderous Electronics beference book

mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) (12/10/90)

The Art of Electronics (Second Edition),
Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill
Cambridge University Press
ISBN 0-521-37095-7
1125 pages plus front-matter

This is somewhat like The Radio Amateur Handbook (ARRL), but
in many ways is more up-to-date on basic circuit technology
and topologies, has more "under your fingernails" theory,
and has sections on BAD circuits as well as good ones!!
And you'll be VERY surprised at how many of those you've seen
published in various projects over the years.

This book is a rare jem indeed.  Herewith is the table of
contents to varying detail....

The Art of Electronics, Horowitz and Hill

Chapter 1 FOUNDATIONS
	Voltage Current and Resistance
	Signals
	Capacitors and AC Circuits
	Inductors and Transformers
	Impedance and Reactance
	Diodes and Diode Circuits
	Other Passive Components

Chapter 2 TRANSISTORS
	Some Basic Transistor Circuits
	Ebers-Moll model applied to basic transistor circuits
	Some amplifier building blocks
	Some typical transistor circuits
	Self-explanatory circuits
		Good Circuits
		BAD Circuits

Chapter 3 FIELD EFFECT TRANSISTORS

Chapter 4 FEEDBACK AND OPERATIONAL AMPLIFIERS

Chapter 5 ACTIVE FILTERS AND OSCILLATORS

Chapter 6 VOLTAGE REGULATORS AND POWER SUPPLIES

Chapter 7 PRECISION CIRCUITS AND LOW-NOISE TECHNIQUES

Chapter 8 DIGITAL ELECTRONICS

Chapter 9 DIGITAL MEETS ANALOG

Chapter 10 MICROCOMPUTERS

Chapter 11 MICROPROCESSORS
	A detailed look at the 68008
	A compete design example: analog signal averager
	Microprocesor support chipts

Chapter 12 ELECTRONIC CONSTRUCTION TECHNIQUES

Chapter 13 HIGH-FREQUENCY AND HIGH-SPEED TECHNIQUES

Chapter 14 LOW-POWER DESIGN

Chapter 15 MEASUREMENTS AND SIGNAL PROCESSING

Appendix A The oscilloscope
Appendix B Math review
Appendix C The 5% resistor color code
Appendix D 1% precision resistor values
Appendix E How to draw schematic diagrams
Appendix F Load lines
Appendix G Transistor saturation
Appendix H LC Butterworth filters
Appendix I Electronics magazines and journals
Appendix J IC prefixes
Appendix K Selected data sheets

kchen@Apple.COM (Kok Chen) (12/11/90)

mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) writes:

>The Art of Electronics (Second Edition),
>Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill
>
>This book is a rare jem indeed.  Herewith is the table of
>contents to varying detail....

Couple of interesting facts: Horowitz is also W1HFA and at one time
held the record (he claims :-) as the youngest Ham with a mention in QST
(must be in the late '40s or early '50s sometime).  He is also the main
brain behind Project META, a Planetary Society sponsored search for
extraterrestrial intelligence, using one of Harvaarhd's radiotelescopes.

Very practical (and absolutely *crazy* :-) fellow, considering that he
is a Physics professor at Harvard and was a by-product of Purcell.  One
also sees his mug on some NOVA programs, the ones that talk about SETI.
In addition to SETI, also known to work on room-temperature detection
attempts of the monopole; don't know if he has given up on that yet :-).

73,

Kok Chen, AA6TY			kchen@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.

bateman@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu (Monte Bateman) (12/11/90)

>mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) writes:
>
>The Art of Electronics (Second Edition),
>Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill

Also, don't forget:

The Student Manual for "The Art of Electronics"
by Thomas C. Hayes & Paul Horowitz ---

It's a spiral-bound workbook (for lab) that contains many
"hands-on" tests to illustrate the text of the "main" book.

All (most) of the diagrams and figures are hand-drawn -- makes it
look more "friendly" and more like a lab book.

Also a great book!

Monte
--

Monte Bateman
WB5RZX @ WB5RZX

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (12/12/90)

>>The Art of Electronics (Second Edition),
>>Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill

How much does it cost?

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >

tswift@well.sf.ca.us (Theodore John Swift) (12/12/90)

>The Art of Electronics (Second Edition),
>Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill
>
>This book is a rare jem indeed....

I concur, though I've a few friends who refer to it as "Horrible & Hill",
as they think that, while it's a great book if you already have an idea of
what H&H are trying to convey, it's too terse to be a true beginners book.
Browse through a copy and decide for yourself.
--
"You bally well are informed, Jeeves!  Do you know everything?"
"I don't know, sir"    ~P.G. Wodehouse