[sci.electronics] Sci.electronics is deteriorating!

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Gregory Bell) (12/03/90)

I am posting this to hopefully remedy a poor sig/noise ratio here on
sci.electronics.

Sci.electronics should be scientific and about electronics, no?  It
should not have postings about things for sale, or any of the following
types of posts:

>I will be traveling to another galaxy in the next millenium and am
>interested in picking up a small hand-held cold-fusion unit.  I
>will need it to overthrow the Cantel network on one of Candromeda-7's
>outer moons.  Is there anything special that I need to be aware of when
>I'm transporting the cold-fusion unit?

Nor should sci.elec have posts like "I have a product that was
featured in the Nov. 1989 Radio-Electronics and I was wondering what the
connector does".  PLEASE check your local library since you have the issue
reference!

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's noticed there have been very
few responses recently, and mostly new posts.  I attribute this to the
fact that the real gurus who (used to?) frequent sci.elec are tired of
the noise.  In order to make this section useful, we need to eliminated
questions that can be easily answered elsewhere (databooks, libraries, manuals).

In case you're wondering what generated this post, I just read
through 170 articles, and for the first time, found nothing of use.

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (12/04/90)

In article <14647@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Gregory Bell) writes:

>I am posting this to hopefully remedy a poor sig/noise ratio here on
>sci.electronics.

I entirely agree with the need to remedy this. I almost took s.e out of
my .newsrc within a week of adding it. I already wade through too many
high traffic groups. SO.....

Is is time to add a FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions periodic posting to
this group?

I don't claim to be a guru, only an interested amateur (and once a
semi-professional) in electronics, but I brought it up, so I'll
offer to do the dirty work.

Things to include: (IMO)
1) Suggestions for more appropriate newsgroups for some of the frequent
    subjects that everyone ignores, like: comp.sys.ibm for "How do I
    get my new VGA/EGA/CGA card to work on my IBM-PC?", or rec.audio for
    "My stereo stopped working, how do I fix it?" (although hunting around
    on the IC pins in your CD player is probably appropriate.)

2) Where to find basic information about a XQZ-33479AC45QRF (a: get a phone
    book. b: look up "library"...)

3) Good books for beginner and intermediate electronics. A couple different
    ones, with as wide as possible range on what underlying math skills
    are necessary, would probably be good.

That's all I can think of off the bat. Should this be done? If yes, what
else should be included?

--
Disclaimer: Yeah, right, like you really believe I run this place.
John R. Murray              |        "Never code anything

In article <1546@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> John Murray (That's me!) writes:
>In article <14647@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Gregory Bell) writes:
>>
>>I am posting this to hopefully remedy a poor sig/noise ratio here on
>>sci.electronics.
>
>Is is time to add a FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions periodic posting to
>this group?

Yes, it's me again already. I just finished getting through this
weekend's postings -*sigh*- and have a couple more suggestions of
what should be in an FAQ:

>Things to include: (IMO)

4) A short bit on VCR copy protection, and a reference to the R-E article
    on defeating one common protection method. (what issue was that, again?)

5) (maybe) Same thing with CD's

6) (maybe) A list of phone numbers for the big silicon houses.
    (definitely) A list of the various BBS's run by them.

7) Suggestions for appropriate newsgroups.. wait! I did that one already!
    (Fix your Nintendo? I've never even seen one, nor do I want to! *GRRRR*)

--

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Gregory Bell) (12/04/90)

>Is is time to add a FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions periodic posting to
>this group?

I definitely think so.  Is this group moderated?  I agree with your
suggestions for what to include in the FAQ, but can't think of any
additions off hand (other than the 567 is not to be found in your
TTL databook :).

GBell (not really working on a .sig)

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (12/06/90)

In article <1546@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) writes:

>Things to include: (IMO)
>
>2) Where to find basic information about a XQZ-33479AC45QRF (a: get a phone
>    book. b: look up "library"...)

Better still, how about a list of phone numbers for the major
semiconductor manufacturers, parts houses, mail-order places, surplus
outfits,...

cook@stout.atd.ucar.edu (Forrest Cook) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec6.002946.18607@vicorp.com> ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) writes:
>In article <1546@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) writes:
>>2) Where to find basic information about a XQZ-33479AC45QRF (a: get a phone
>>    book. b: look up "library"...)
>Better still, how about a list of phone numbers for the major semiconductor
>manufacturers, parts houses, mail-order places, surplus outfits,...

Also, don't forget a reference to SAMS for
schematic information.

I have seen many requests for schematics to
various pieces of consumer equipment.

Does anybody ever get a useful reply from these requests
or are they just wasting everybody's time, including the poster?

Perhaps a simple request like: If you need a schematic for a
Technics XYZ Gizmo,  First call Technics,  second check the local
library or call SAMS for a repair manual,  Then if all else fails,
ask the net.

Also - I personally like some of the discussions about blue LEDs
as long as they contain useful info like the address for Cree Research
Which is 2810 Meridian Parkway Suite 176  Durham, NC  27713 by the way.

--
 ^   ^  Forrest Cook - <<< We all P for IP, We all BM for IBM >>>
/|\ /|\ cook@stout.atd.ucar.edu WB0RIO (This posting is my OPINION)

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (12/07/90)

Ok, since there seem to be no dissenting votes on the basic idea, I'm
in the process of creating a preliminary FAQ. I hope to post a rough
to the net for comments in the next day or two.

--

dmt@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.002946.18607@vicorp.com> ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) writes:
>>Things to include: (IMO)

It seems to me that many queries to this group could be satisfied if only the
poster would have looked a few recent issues of several popular electronics
magazines.

Perhaps if someone could scan the contents page of a half-dozen monthly
magazines and post them.

--
Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmt

wang@motcid.UUCP (Jerry Wang) (12/08/90)

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) writes:

>In article <1546@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> John Murray (That's me!) writes:
>>In article <14647@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Gregory Bell) writes:
>>>
>>>I am posting this to hopefully remedy a poor sig/noise ratio here on
>>>sci.electronics.
>>
>>Is is time to add a FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions periodic posting to
>>this group?

>Yes, it's me again already. I just finished getting through this
>weekend's postings -*sigh*- and have a couple more suggestions of
>what should be in an FAQ:

>>Things to include: (IMO)

>4) A short bit on VCR copy protection, and a reference to the R-E article
>    on defeating one common protection method. (what issue was that, again?)

>5) (maybe) Same thing with CD's

>6) (maybe) A list of phone numbers for the big silicon houses.
>    (definitely) A list of the various BBS's run by them.

>7) Suggestions for appropriate newsgroups.. wait! I did that one already!
>    (Fix your Nintendo? I've never even seen one, nor do I want to! *GRRRR*)

>>That's all I can think of off the bat. Should this be done? If yes, what
>>else should be included?

I believe that there are certain amount of noise in this group.  But
what's signal and what's noise may be a judgement call.  Is high tech
signal and consumer electronics noise?  I deal with a lot of DSP
techniques at work, which some may call high tech (and maybe some
will call it piece of cake).  But I am still curios about the 'low-techs'
around me and I have enjoyed reading how my video tape is protected,
how SCMS works on a DAT and how can it be defeated if I ever want to
re-sequence all my recordings (has anyone else concluded that it can be done
on the Manchester coded digital output bit stream? i.e. external
to the DAT?), tube amplifiers, where to find cheap surplus electronics, etc.

On the other hand, what seemed to be 'high tech' and discussed here
(not often recently) are most of the time very basic in the eyes of
experts in the field.  Shall we blame this type of discussion not
prize winning and ask all the authors to shut up also?

Why don't we share this bandwidth peacefully and spend a little effort
to tune in to what we want to listen to (in our case it's not hard,
the signal and the noise can be separated) and ignore what we do not like.

Jerry Wang - Motorola, Cellular Infrastructure Group

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (12/11/90)

From article <5915@ptsfa.PacBell.COM>, by dmt@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner):
> In article <1990Dec6.002946.18607@vicorp.com> ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) writes:
>>>Things to include: (IMO)
>
> It seems to me that many queries to this group could be satisfied if only the
> poster would have looked a few recent issues of several popular electronics
> magazines.
>
> Perhaps if someone could scan the contents page of a half-dozen monthly
> magazines and post them.
> --
> Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmt

This is a good idea, but I don't think anything will help.  As long as the
retoricals get answered, more will come.  And lets remember, this is a
"public" listing.  My grandmother could be asking someone to drop over and
fix her toaster....asuming she could get on the net.  I think there are
quite a few novices using the nets these days.

Try reading some of the other popular boards.  I'd like to read SFlovers,
but I subscribed on Friday, and this morning there were 23 pages of lists.
That's just dumb.  They need to deversify, maybe we need to here as well.

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (12/12/90)

In article <12180@hubcap.clemson.edu> rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) writes:
>Try reading some of the other popular boards.  I'd like to read SFlovers,
>but I subscribed on Friday, and this morning there were 23 pages of lists.
>That's just dumb.  They need to deversify, maybe we need to here as well.

Personally, I'd rather not see diversification just yet. I made the awful
mistake of counting the number of active newsgroups in my .newsrc and found..
well, lets just say for the sake of my personal health :-) lets not split just
yet...

Seriously, I wouldn't like to see this group split, since I do get
something out of the diversity of topics covered here. This is only my
opinion, of course.

(P.S. In case anyone was wondering what happened to me, I was working on a
major project that was due this morning. Why oh why am I trying to do
grad school again after a 3+ year hiatus!?! I'll be working on the preliminary
FAQ again after I get some sleep.. |-P )