[sci.electronics] Do Halogen lamps need ballasts?

fish@gemed.com (Mark Fisher) (11/29/90)

I think I can answer my own question.  I went to the hardware store
and looked at some quartz-halogen replacement bulbs.  They have what
appears to be a tungsten filament wire inside a quartz tube.  Going
off the deep end, I would say that the resistance of the wire would
limit the current and no ballast is needed.  I would also assume that
the dimmer circuit in halogen lamps is a regular high wattage dimmer.
I noticed on the demo lamp that dimming the light made the
quartz-halogen tube humm loud enough that I could hear it in a noisy
wharehouse type of store.

I looked up halogen in my dictionary.  It said it was one of the very
active chemical elements, fluorine, chlorine, bromine, astatine, or
iodine. How does this apply to a light bulb?
--
// Mark M. Fisher
// fish@gemed.ge.com

rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Randy Brumbaugh) (11/29/90)

Someone asked what the halogen gas did for these lamps.
Hope this helps . . .
(In this posting, "lamp" means light bulb, not a lighting
fixture).

A "halogen" lamp (also sometimes called a "quartz", "tunsten-
halogen", or a "Quartz-iodide" lamp) is basically the same
as a regular incandescent lamp -- it produces light by heating
a tungsten filament in a sealed envelope containing some gas.
It is still a form of incandescent lighting.

No ballast is needed for halogen lamps, although some small
fixtures use lower voltage lamps and need a step-down
transformer.

The difference is in the envelope, which is made of quartz
to handle the high temperature operation needed; and in the
gas which fills the envelope.  The gas is a member of the
halogen family.  Regular incandescent lamps use an inert gas.

In a regular incandescent lamp, the tungsten "boils" off the
filament during operation.  It eventually contacts the cooler
glass envelope, where it deposits itself.  This results in
darkening of the envelope as the lamp ages, and in weakening
of the filament.

A chemical process (the halogen cycle) is used to improve this
in these new fangled "halogen" lamps.  The tungsten chemically
bonds with the halogen gas in the envelope.  When the gas
contacts the hot filament, the chemical bond is broken, and
the tungsten is re-deposited in the filament.  These lamps
won't last forever, because the tungsten isn't deposited
at the same spot it came off the filament.

This gives lamp designers 2 options:
- make the lamp produce brighter, higher color temperature
  light at the same life expectancy.
 -OR-
- make the lamp the same brightness with a longer life.

To maintain the halogen cycle, the lamp must run at fairly high
temperatures and pressures.  Dimming may reduce this somewhat,
and cause the envelope to darken, but operating a while
at full brightness will reverse the process.

Also, the quartz envelope shouldn't be touched by bare
hands -- oils on the skin will weaken the structure and may
cause bubbles or lamp failure.

Tungsten-halogen (T-H) lamps are now used almost exclusively
for stage and television lighting applicatuions, where they
have been around for quite a while.  This is due to thier
longer life/higher color temp and the fact that light output
does not  decrease as the lamp ages, as it does with regular
incandescent lights.

Randy Brumbaugh
rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (11/29/90)

In article <714@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Randy Brumbaugh) writes:
>A chemical process (the halogen cycle) is used to improve this
>in these new fangled "halogen" lamps.  The tungsten chemically
>bonds with the halogen gas in the envelope.  When the gas
>contacts the hot filament, the chemical bond is broken, and
>the tungsten is re-deposited in the filament.  These lamps
>won't last forever, because the tungsten isn't deposited
>at the same spot it came off the filament.

If a region starts to thin-out its resistivity increases,
increasing its power dissipation, increasing its heat.  The
rate of deposition is a monotonic function of the temperature,
so the hotter spots tend to _collect_ tungsten, fattening them.

The halogen cycle not only prevents rapid loss of filament
material, it repairs minor flaws in the filament and prevents
hot-spots due to these flaws.

Halogen lamps burn out (barring some extensive flaw) only
when one of the non-tungsten parts fails (the filament supports
weaken from temperature cycling, the way the filament would
if it weren't for the halogen cycle).

>Also, the quartz envelope shouldn't be touched by bare
>hands -- oils on the skin will weaken the structure and may
>cause bubbles or lamp failure.

The oil causes a region of different thermal conductivity;
when the heat is applied this will cause a region of
different temperature which will cause a difference in
expansion which will cause a stress that will rupture the
envelope.  The oil doesn't "weaken the structure."  You can
wipe it off.

>Tungsten-halogen (T-H) lamps are now used almost exclusively
>for stage and television lighting applicatuions, where they

				--Blair
				  "Stage Nerds 'R' Us..."

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (11/30/90)

In article <1147@inews.intel.com> bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>If a region starts to thin-out its resistivity increases,

Bubblehead.  That's "resistance," not "resistivity."
It's the cross-sectional area that's changing, not
the mean free path...

				--Blair
				  "What a maroon."

bobt@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Tidrick) (11/30/90)

>>in these new fangled "halogen" lamps.  The tungsten chemically
New fangled they are not. The have been around quite a while.
>>contacts the hot filament, the chemical bond is broken, and
>>the tungsten is re-deposited in the filament.  These lamps
>>won't last forever, because the tungsten isn't deposited
>>at the same spot it came off the filament.

One thing that has bothered me about these Halogen lamps with the
dimmer is, from my experiance if the bulb is not kept at least at
a certian high temperature they will fail faster. I have seen halogen
bulbs grow tungsten crystals on the ends of the filament when run at
a lower then rated voltage. Apparently this is because when the
filament is at a lower temperature the tungsten is not redeposited
on the filament while the bulb is operating. When it is turned off
and the gas cools it is deposited at the coolest point. In this case
the ends of the filament. The crystals grow depleating the material
on the rest of the filament. Hot spots do occur but there is always
some tungsten trapped in the gas when the bulb is turned off it cools
and again is deposited on the crystals. The bulbs we used where rated
at about 5000 Hrs. Most of them lasted about 2000. Some lasted as little
as 500 Hrs. These were bulbs rated at 12 Volts being run at 10V.

I wonder if the manufactures of these lamps know about this?

--
                                                Bob Tidrick
                                                GPID Engineering

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (11/30/90)

>The halogen cycle not only prevents rapid loss of filament
>material, it repairs minor flaws in the filament and prevents
>hot-spots due to these flaws.
>
>Halogen lamps burn out (barring some extensive flaw) only
>when one of the non-tungsten parts fails (the filament supports
>weaken from temperature cycling, the way the filament would
>if it weren't for the halogen cycle).

What's the principle behind the "krypton" flashlight bulbs being sold
now, and market as "70% brighter" than the standard type?

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (11/30/90)

In article <36350@cup.portal.com> schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuste\

>What's the principle behind the "krypton" flashlight bulbs being sold
>now, and market as "70% brighter" than the standard type?

	There are three major different types of incandescant bulbs.
Vacuum, inert gas, and halogen.  Vacuum bulbs are more energy-efficient,
and have a lifetime of circa 5-10 hours.  Inert gas bulbs have some
gas-cooling of hot spots, so last longer (circa 750 hours), but still
blacken as they age.  Halogen bulbs do not blacken, but must be run
hot.
	Traditional flashlight bulbs have been vacuum types.  For larger
power outputs (which modern batteries make feasible), one can use a
very dense gas (Krypton) which has lower thermal conductivity than
Nitrogen (which is the fill gas in most 100W household lamps).
	The '70% brighter' effect is due to the filament running
hotter (and taking 50% more power).
	I tested bulbs of all three types for my bicycle light;
the vacuum bulb spectrum was dreadfully red.  The halogen and the
Krypton had the same color temperature, with the Krypton being
slightly higher power output.  I ended up using the halogen
(and have had a hundred or so hours use so far) but the Krypton
bulb is what I'll be replacing it with (the cost is circa 8:1
in favor of Krypton).

	John Whitmore

sg1q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Simon Peter Gatrall) (11/30/90)

I didn't see the original question, but I'll answer this anyway.  Yes
and no.  Some halogen lamps are 12V (others are 6V or 24V or 120V) so
they need a power supply.  Some manufacturers call this a ballast even
though it is not a ballast in the sense of a florescent light ballast.
Higher wattage halogen lamps are usually 120V ac.  There are solid state
power supplies rated for use with 12V halogen lamps available.

-Simon Gatrall		sg1q+@andrew.cmu.edu

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/01/90)

In article <10147@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> bobt@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Tidrick) writes:
|The bulbs we used where rated
|at about 5000 Hrs. Most of them lasted about 2000. Some lasted as little
|as 500 Hrs. These were bulbs rated at 12 Volts being run at 10V.

Is there any way you can avoid running them below their rated
voltage? Why are you doing this instead of getting bulbs rated
at less wattage? What do you think the manufacturers could do
about their products being used at a temperature too low for
the full halogen cycle to operate?

--
Compost: it's the right thing to do.

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (12/01/90)

Halogen lamps do not need ballasts, however, large halogen lamps and
arrays of lamps are sometimes connected in series with low-inductance,
high-current, air-core "inrush chokes" to protect switch contacts:
Resistance of metal increases with temperature; there is significant
difference between tungsten's cold resistance and its resistance at
halogen-lamp operating temperature.

--

Frank Reid     reid@ucs.indiana.edu

abar@cbnewsk.att.com (jerome.t.abar..jr) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.174758.979@amd.com>, phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <10147@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> bobt@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Tidrick) writes:
> |The bulbs we used where rated
> |at about 5000 Hrs. Most of them lasted about 2000. Some lasted as little
> |as 500 Hrs. These were bulbs rated at 12 Volts being run at 10V.
>
> Is there any way you can avoid running them below their rated
> voltage? Why are you doing this instead of getting bulbs rated
> at less wattage? What do you think the manufacturers could do
> about their products being used at a temperature too low for
> the full halogen cycle to operate?

Would the halogen lamps last longer if you left them on continuously
as opposed to turning them on and off, cooling and heating them
(a previous poster mentioned crystals growing in cool spots)
Thanks.

** Tom Abar                           My Company's Nifty, My Company's Fine, **
** mvjta@mvgpn.att.com                But These Opinions Are Strictly MINE!! **

karn@envy.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (12/01/90)

Houghton) writes:
|> >Also, the quartz envelope shouldn't be touched by bare
|> >hands -- oils on the skin will weaken the structure and may
|> >cause bubbles or lamp failure.
|>
|> The oil causes a region of different thermal conductivity;
|> when the heat is applied this will cause a region of
|> different temperature which will cause a difference in
|> expansion which will cause a stress that will rupture the
|> envelope.  The oil doesn't "weaken the structure."  You can
|> wipe it off.

I don't think that's quite right. Quartz is used precisely because of
its
very low temperature expansion coefficient.

I think the problem is that the heat will decompose the oil, producing
elemental carbon which will then absorb the light hitting it from the
filament.  This causes a hot spot on the surface of the envelope which
could well cause it to soften and fail.

Phil

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Dec1.032426@envy.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com writes:
>In article <1147@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P.
>Houghton) writes:
[...deformation ==> rupture...]
>|> The oil doesn't "weaken the structure."  You can
>|> wipe it off.
>
>I don't think that's quite right. Quartz is used precisely
>because of its very low temperature expansion coefficient.

Very low != nonexistant.  Also, quartz is very brittle.
Any deformation causes catastrophic displacement
(cleaving).  When there's a uniformity of heat
distribution, things expand normally.  When there isn't,
they don't.

>I think the problem is that the heat will decompose the oil, producing
>elemental carbon which will then absorb the light hitting it from the
>filament.  This causes a hot spot on the surface of the envelope which
>could well cause it to soften and fail.

Take a halogen lamp.  Turn it on.  Allow a drop of water to
fall on it.  Run like hell.

You don't need any chemistry.  Temperature differences
are all you need to cause one of these to blow.

I don't think you can "soften" quartz without _extreme_
temperatures (thousands and thousands of K).

				--Blair
				  "Billions and billions of Big Macs..."

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov30.174758.979@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>at less wattage? What do you think the manufacturers could do
>about their products being used at a temperature too low for
>the full halogen cycle to operate?

Sell more of them as replacements...

				--Blair
				  "It's pretty obvious, really."

metzger@cup.portal.com (David G Metzger) (12/02/90)

In article <1197@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com
   (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

>In article <1990Dec1.032426@envy.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com write
>:
>>In article <1147@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P.
>>Houghton) writes:
>[...deformation ==> rupture...]
>>
>>I don't think that's quite right. Quartz is used precisely
>>because of its very low temperature expansion coefficient.
>
>Very low != nonexistant.  Also, quartz is very brittle.
>Any deformation causes catastrophic displacement
>(cleaving).  When there's a uniformity of heat
  ^^^^^^^^
>distribution, things expand normally.  When there isn't,
>they don't.

     Quartz does not have cleavage planes.  When quartz breaks, it
is by conchoidal fracture.

                                   David Metzger
                                   metzger@cup.portal.com
                                   sun!portal!cup.portal.com!metzger

kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) (12/03/90)

In article <1197@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
> In article <1990Dec1.032426@envy.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com writes:
> >In article <1147@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P.
> >Houghton) writes:
> [...deformation ==> rupture...]
> >
> >I don't think that's quite right. Quartz is used precisely
> >because of its very low temperature expansion coefficient.
>
> Very low != nonexistant.  Also, quartz is very brittle.
> Any deformation causes catastrophic displacement
> (cleaving).  When there's a uniformity of heat
> distribution, things expand normally.  When there isn't,
> they don't.
>
> >I think the problem is that the heat will decompose the oil, producing
> >elemental carbon which will then absorb the light hitting it from the
> >filament.  This causes a hot spot on the surface of the envelope which
> >could well cause it to soften and fail.
>
> Take a halogen lamp.  Turn it on.  Allow a drop of water to
> fall on it.  Run like hell.
>
> You don't need any chemistry.  Temperature differences
> are all you need to cause one of these to blow.
>
> I don't think you can "soften" quartz without _extreme_
> temperatures (thousands and thousands of K).
>
> 				--Blair
> 				  "Billions and billions of Big Macs..."

From the CRC handbook od chemistry and physics 63 edition 1982-1983
PP F65:

Coefficient of thermal expansion 5.5 X 10^-7 cm/cm/degree C From 20 to 320 C
   (That's way low)
Tensile strength 7,000 PSI Compressive strength > 160,000 PSI
   (That's very strong)
Softening point (Approx) 1665 Degrees C (1938 degrees K)
   (That's way up there)

So, If I place some oil on the quartz with the lamp off and let the
temperatures equalize and then turn on the lamp WHY does the quartz
break (If it really does as so many have said).

I guess I'll have to buy some bulbs and try this at home because I don't
buy any of these theorys. (Except the carbon one maybe)

-Alan Kilian
 Cray Research, Inc.
 655 F Lone Oak Drive
 Eagan, MN 55121       kilian@cray.com

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (12/03/90)

In article <153447.28605@timbuk.cray.com> kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) writes:

>Coefficient of thermal expansion 5.5 X 10^-7 cm/cm/degree C From 20 to 320 C
>   (That's way low)

Not low enough.

>Tensile strength 7,000 PSI Compressive strength > 160,000 PSI
>   (That's very strong)

Not strong enough.

>Softening point (Approx) 1665 Degrees C (1938 degrees K)
>   (That's way up there)

Lower than I thought, but higher than any spot of
carbonization will stick around to reach.

>So, If I place some oil on the quartz with the lamp off and let the
>temperatures equalize and then turn on the lamp WHY does the quartz
>break (If it really does as so many have said).

Halogen lamps in these pole-lamp assemblies come with
expensive-looking protective gear to keep the shards of
quartz envelope from splattering all over your living room.

They break.

The skin oil keeps heat in the quartz that is escaping
elsewhere on the envelope.  The temperature difference
causes localized stresses.  Poof.

				--Blair
				  "Poof."

tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) (12/03/90)

In article <153447.28605@timbuk.cray.com> kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) writes:
>In article <1197@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>> In article <1990Dec1.032426@envy.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com writes:
>> >In article <1147@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P.
>> >Houghton) writes:
>> [...deformation ==> rupture...]

You can certainly clean the oil off before turning the lamp on and get
near-normal bulb life.  Instructions packed with lamps I've seen say to
clean them with alcohol if you accidently touch them during installation.
I've done this with no problems.

>> >I think the problem is that the heat will decompose the oil, producing
>> >elemental carbon which will then absorb the light hitting it from the
>> >filament.  This causes a hot spot on the surface of the envelope which
>> >could well cause it to soften and fail.

>> I don't think you can "soften" quartz without _extreme_
>> temperatures (thousands and thousands of K).

I have personaly replaced a 750 Watt (or maybe it was 1KW) quartz/halogen lamp
that had a big blackened "tumor" of glass on the side where the envelope had
deformed.  I was told that this happened because someone got a fingerprint on
the bulb when installing it.  If this is not correct, what caused this?  BTW,
this lamp was not the long thin kind found in $10 backyard lights, but one
with a two-pin base and the filament coiled into about a 1" x 1/4" dia spiral.
(Type FEL for 1K or the equivilent in 750).

Sometimes the envelope has broken; we attributed this to rough handling fo
the stage fixture, but it could be the
"different thermal expansion --> breakage" mechanism.

>I guess I'll have to buy some bulbs and try this at home because I don't
>buy any of these theorys. (Except the carbon one maybe)
I've noticed some computer-surplus places advertising 1KW quarts lamps for
very reasonable prices...

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (12/03/90)

In <36440@cup.portal.com> metzger@cup.portal.com (David G Metzger) writes:

>In article <1197@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com
>   (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

>>Very low != nonexistant.  Also, quartz is very brittle.
>>Any deformation causes catastrophic displacement
>>(cleaving).  When there's a uniformity of heat
>  ^^^^^^^^
>>distribution, things expand normally.  When there isn't,
>>they don't.

>     Quartz does not have cleavage planes.  When quartz breaks, it
>is by conchoidal fracture.

Depends on how it grew doesn't it? Defects in the crystal can form very regular
fracture planes that behave just like cleavage planes. This weak area is the one
most likely to break if the deformation occurs nearby. But then again, there
aren't supposed to be any defects are there?

Adam David.

adamd@rhi.hi.is

chuck@marie.mit.edu (PARSONS, CHARLES) (12/04/90)

In article <2473@krafla.rhi.hi.is>, adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) writes...
>In <36440@cup.portal.com> metzger@cup.portal.com (David G Metzger) writes:
>
>>In article <1197@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com
>>   (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

>>>(cleaving).  When there's a uniformity of heat
>>  ^^^^^^^^
>
>>     Quartz does not have cleavage planes.  When quartz breaks, it
>>is by conchoidal fracture.
>
>Depends on how it grew doesn't it? Defects in the crystal can form very regular
>fracture planes that behave just like cleavage planes. This weak area is the one
>most likely to break if the deformation occurs nearby. But then again, there
>aren't supposed to be any defects are there?

   "Quartz" halogen light tubes are not Crystals they are amorphous. The
quartz label just refers to the fact that the glass is almost pure SiO2
without the usual salts added to window glass to lower the melting point.

				Chuck@mitlns.mit.edu

rsnider@xrtll.uucp (Richard Snider) (12/04/90)

In article <FISH.90Nov28100429@his.gemed.com> fish@gemed.ge.com (Mark Fisher, GE Medical, Milwaukee WI, x4-6553) writes:
>I think I can answer my own question.  I went to the hardware store
>and looked at some quartz-halogen replacement bulbs.  They have what
>appears to be a tungsten filament wire inside a quartz tube.  Going
>off the deep end, I would say that the resistance of the wire would
>limit the current and no ballast is needed.

A quartz-halogen bulb is no different from a regualar incandescent in as
much as how the power should be supplied to it.  Most of the "Indoor"
type of fixtures use bulbs that run at 12V (For many reasons). This is
why in some fixtures there is a step-down transformer.  It is not being
used for current limiting or starting as it would be in a flourescent.
Many "Outdoor" Halogens tend to use the line voltage directly.

>I looked up halogen in my dictionary.  It said it was one of the very
>active chemical elements, fluorine, chlorine, bromine, astatine, or
>iodine. How does this apply to a light bulb?

When the bulb is run in the correct temperature range, the halogen
causes re-depositing of the tungsten that is boiled off the filament
at the elevated temperature.  At lower temperatures (ie. light is
dimmed with a dimmer) the boiling of tungsten from the filament is
not a large effect so the scrubbing and re-deposition of the tungsten
is not so important.

Lastly, I am suspicious in general of many of the "indoor" halogen
types of lights.  To get maximum "light for the buck" a halogen bulb
must be run a LOT hotter than the ones I see in stores are. Specifically
I have done quite a bit of theater lighting using lots of halogen
equipment, and usually when a light is on full, in order to get
proper re-deposition the quartz tube will glow bright red.  It will
also keep glowing for several SECONDS after the light is shut down.
This is the temperature they must be run at to make the halogen inside
be reasonably useful.  Otherwise you may as well have regular light
bulbs.

As far as getting oil on the bulbs (from skin or other things), if
the bulb is run in the correct temperature range (HOT) then getting
any kind of oil on the bulb will usually result in premature failure
due to a carbon hot spot, followed by deformation, followed by
(often spectacular) destruction.  If anyone out there dosn't believe
that the quartz tube can deform, I have a few "neat looking" bulbs
that show quite nicely how well the quartz tube can deform.

                                        ...Rich
Where: ..uunet!mnetor!yunexus!xrtll!rsnider    Also:  rsnider@xrtll.UUCP
An unbreakable tool is useful for breaking other tools.

vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) (12/04/90)

In article <75525@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) writes:

   Halogen lamps do not need ballasts, however, large halogen lamps and
   arrays of lamps are sometimes connected in series with low-inductance,
   high-current, air-core "inrush chokes" to protect switch contacts:
   Resistance of metal increases with temperature; there is significant
   difference between tungsten's cold resistance and its resistance at
   halogen-lamp operating temperature.

I posted a question about some halogen trak-lights.  I have found a
few more things out (like the bulbs still work). To re-cap my earlier
post and pose the question differently:

 * I bought a set of trak lights and some 110v halogen bulbs
 * the bulbs didn't work in the fixture so I tested the bulbs with
   a meter and they read open.  it was easier than trying another
   fixture.  I assumed something killed them
 *  The bulbs are now known good and the original problem is solved
   (the fixture contact needed adjusting)

MY QUESTION:

Why does the bulb read open on a 20 meg scale?

Theory: the rectifier circuit is causing this?

jv

``There's nothing remarkable about it.  All one has to do is hit the right
  keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.'' -- J. S. Bach
 _____
 -----  jv@n1dxg.ampr.org {...sun!sunne ..uunet}!tegra!vail

rambler@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Dan Meyer) (12/05/90)

kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) writes:
>In article <1197@inews.intel.com>, bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>> Take a halogen lamp.  Turn it on.  Allow a drop of water to
>> fall on it.  Run like hell.
>>
>> You don't need any chemistry.  Temperature differences
>> are all you need to cause one of these to blow.
Take *any* incandesnant lamp. turn it on. Allow a drop of water to
fall on it. run like hell. Most incandesant lamps break under these
conditions!

>> I don't think you can "soften" quartz without _extreme_
>> temperatures (thousands and thousands of K).
Agreed. isn't quartz a mineral? quite a bit different than glass?

>> 				--Blair
>> 				  "Billions and billions of Big Macs..."

-- Dan Meyer

Remember: " Buffalo never Oink " Seen on a South Dakota travel brocure.
Advertisment: Try the Railway Post Office , a railfan BBS ! (612) 377-2197.
UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!rambler
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!rambler@nosc.mil
INET: rambler@pnet51.orb.mn.org

In article <3561@orbit.cts.com> rambler@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Dan Meyer) writes:
>Agreed. isn't quartz a mineral? quite a bit different than glass?

Not all that different.  Quartz is crystals of silica (SiO2).  Most glass
is non-crystalline impure silica.  The impurities are there to change its
properties in various ways, most notably to reduce its softening point.
Pure-silica glass does exist; the only difference between it and quartz
is that the molecular structure of the glass is quasi-random while the
structure of the quartz is a regular array of atoms.  (One of the problems
with working pure-silica glass, in fact, is that it has a tendency to
try to crystallize into quartz.)  I believe the bulbs actually use the
glass, not true crystalline quartz.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) (12/10/90)

 All of this talk about Halogen lights and possible destruction
 thereof make me wonder if similar technology is being applied
 to transmitting tubes (and maybe CRTs?).  I know from talking
 to broadcast engineers that you only have a matter of seconds
 to shut off a 25,000 watt transmitting tube if the cooling
 fans fail.  In fact we have a very nice EMAC tube upstairs in
 the electronics lab (4CX5000 I believe) that got destructed just
 this way.  The cooling fins (made of some type of metal) are
 MELTED.

 The tungston re-deposition properties of halogen lamps would seem
 a natural for life extension on transmitting tubes (IF that is
 a desired property - maybe not for the manufacturers :-)     )
 or would the presence of grids, plates, and other elements
 negate the use of halogen?

 - Bob Wier

 -------------- insert favorite standard disclaimers here ----------
                      College of Engineering
         Northern Arizona University / Flagstaff, Arizona
  Internet: rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | WB5KXH
                or   uucp:  ...arizona!naucse!rrw

jgo@mcgp1.UUCP (John Opalko, N7KBT) (12/11/90)

In article <3026@naucse.cse.nau.edu> rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) writes:
->
-> The tungston re-deposition properties of halogen lamps would seem
-> a natural for life extension on transmitting tubes (IF that is
-> a desired property - maybe not for the manufacturers :-)     )
-> or would the presence of grids, plates, and other elements
-> negate the use of halogen?

Kind of contrary to the definition of a VACUUM tube, though, isn't it?

rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) (12/12/90)

In article <4676@mcgp1.UUCP>, jgo@mcgp1.UUCP (John Opalko, N7KBT) writes:
> In article <3026@naucse.cse.nau.edu> rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) writes:
> ->
> -> The tungston re-deposition properties of halogen lamps would seem
> -> a natural for life extension on transmitting tubes (IF that is
> -> a desired property - maybe not for the manufacturers :-)     )
> -> or would the presence of grids, plates, and other elements
> -> negate the use of halogen?
>
> Kind of contrary to the definition of a VACUUM tube, though, isn't it?

 Aha! VERY good point.  My brain is scrambled from thinking about
 silicon for too long (sigh...).  I once had a QSL card which
 had a cartoon about some guys using plumbing tools to try to
 stop "grid leaks".  If you remember this, you're as old as
 I am!!!