[sci.electronics] High speed BCD counter, in CMOS ?

blw@acsu.buffalo.edu (brian l wybaillie) (12/12/90)

hello,
        i am building a circuit which requires a high speed BCD counter with
clear.  it must be able to handle frequencies up to 40 MHz.  the one that
comes to mind is the 74s196 which according to a TTL data book can handle
up to 100 MHz at clock 1 and 50 MHz at clock 2.  fine, but here's the catch,
it must be CMOS.  oh no...
	as much as i have tried i can't seem to locate a cd74hc196, my question
is, does anyone know if this even exists?  and if not, is there a chip out
there which is comparable.  i have very limited access to data books so any
        while i'm on the topic of appreciation, thanks to the many responses
i received on my last posting,(schmitt trig. configurations).

		thanks again,

		brian wybaillie

	internet: blw@.acsu.buffalo.edu
	bitnet: v091j47x@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

paul@research.canon.oz.au (Paul Higginbottom) (12/14/90)

In article <50717@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> blw@acsu.buffalo.edu (brian l wybaillie) writes:
>hello,
>        i am building a circuit which requires a high speed BCD counter with
>clear.  it must be able to handle frequencies up to 40 MHz.  the one that
>comes to mind is the 74s196 which according to a TTL data book can handle
>up to 100 MHz at clock 1 and 50 MHz at clock 2.  fine, but here's the catch,
>it must be CMOS.  oh no...
>	as much as i have tried i can't seem to locate a cd74hc196, my question
>is, does anyone know if this even exists?  and if not, is there a chip out
>there which is comparable.  i have very limited access to data books so any

	If you don't need a reset function, you could try a 74AC190 from
for example National.  The 74AC192 has asynchronous reset and separate
count up and count down clock inputs.  Both devices have asynchronous
parallel loading and synchronous counting.  Both devices can operate
at up to 120 MHz.
	Regards,
	Paul

--
Paul Higginbottom                            | paul@research.canon.oz.au
Canon Information Systems Research Australia | Phone +61-2-805-2910