[sci.electronics] more on lighting

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/10/90)

I am enclosing some data I have taken on various types of lights
with regard to wattage, lumens, and life. I'll probably collect
price data eventually but it isn't that important to me.

                                     LUMENS.XLS

           Type       W   Lumens  Color   L/W    Maker    Model      Life
       I               15     125           8.3                         2500
       I               25     215           8.6                         2500

       I PAR          150    1733          11.6                         2000
       I               40     505          12.6                         1000
       I               60     870          14.5                         1000
       I               75    1190          15.9                          750
       I              100    1750          17.5                          750
       GE Reader      250    4500          18.0
       GE Reader      170    3100          18.2
       I              150    2850          19.0                          750
       Q H            500   10500          21.0                         2000
       I              300    6360          21.2                          750
       Hg Vapor       100    4100          41.0                        24000
       CF PAR          18     800          44.4 Philips SL18/R40       10000
       Hg Vapor       175    7900          45.1                        24000
       CF              15     720  2800    48.0 Panasonic               9000
       CF               7     400          57.1 GE
       CF              18    1100          61.1 Philips SL18           10000
       HP Na           70    6300          90.0                        24000

       LF F                               48-90 Generic
       Metal Halide                       115.0 Generic
       HP Na                              140.0 Generic

--
There is no right more fundamental than self-defense.

robk@altos86.Altos.COM (Rob Kleinschmidt) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec10.070330.1533@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>I am enclosing some data I have taken on various types of lights
>with regard to wattage, lumens, and life.

	(Interesting set of data follows)

I recently discovered the Syvania "Capsylite" line of quartz/halogen bulbs.
These are interesting products because they are interchangeable with standard
incandescants, but are appreciably more efficient, longer lived, and
(I believe) have better color. Because they use a double shell of glass,
they are also insensitive to finger oils, and do not present the same risk of
burns when at operating temperature. As a drop in replacement for incandescant,
these bulbs are very nice indeed:

          Type       W   Lumens  Color   L/W    Maker    Model      Life

        QH          42     665          15.8    Sylvania CAP         3500
>       I           40     505          12.6                         1000

        QH          52     885          17.0    Sylvania CAP         3500
>       I           60     870          14.5                         1000

        QH          72    1300          18.0    Sylvania CAP         3500
>       I           75    1190          15.9                          750

The bulbs are available in 120 and 130 V. versions, plus some set of
floods and spots (52 and 72 Watts I think). The ones I purchased cost
almost $4.00 each, so they are not cheap, but I have been very happy
with them so far. No data at the moment on the 3500 hour lifetimes.

Rob Kleinschmidt

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (12/14/90)

In article <4489@altos86.Altos.COM> robk@altos86.UUCP (Rob Kleinschmidt) writes:
>In article <1990Dec10.070330.1533@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>I recently discovered the Syvania "Capsylite" line of quartz/halogen bulbs.
>These are interesting products because they are interchangeable with standard
>incandescants, but are appreciably more efficient, longer lived, and
>(I believe) have better color.

Look good.

Do they come in three-way?

				--Blair
				  "Always a kibbitz."

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (12/15/90)

In article <4489@altos86.Altos.COM> robk@altos86.UUCP (Rob Kleinschmidt) writes:

>I recently discovered the Syvania "Capsylite" line of quartz/halogen bulbs.
                           Sylvania ;-)
>These are interesting products because they are interchangeable with standard
>incandescants, but are appreciably more efficient, longer lived, and
>(I believe) have better color.

They are nice.  VERY white.  As far as colour goes, the big advantage is that
they don't go orangey on you with a dimmer.  They are also considerably
smaller than their incandescent counterparts (as floods that is).  The
difficulty with them in pot lamps is that since they're smaller, they are
more recessed into the fixture, and the fixture tends to narrow the flood.

>Because they use a double shell of glass,
>they are also insensitive to finger oils, and do not present the same risk of
>burns when at operating temperature.

H'm, my 50W floods get pretty darn hot.  Not as hot as bare QH, but
can still do some damage.

>The bulbs are available in 120 and 130 V. versions, plus some set of
>floods and spots (52 and 72 Watts I think). The ones I purchased cost
>almost $4.00 each, so they are not cheap, but I have been very happy
>with them so far. No data at the moment on the 3500 hour lifetimes.

I bought 9 of them at a good electrical supplier (who's prices are
usually very good) and got a discount.  Only $12.50 apiece.  (Only
in Canada eh?).  QH floods are more typically $17+.

I ran the 9 for about 6 months before we sold the house (and salvaged
the bulbs!  At $12.50 apiece you think of these things!).  One died
fairly early (a mechanical defect actually), the others were fine.
We'll be reinstalling them here outdoors probably.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis