[sci.electronics] UL and CSA Approvement

forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) (12/17/90)

Since we have been having continued discussion about UL approved
devices, I have a number of questions about such approval.
I have seen a number of line powered devices that were CSA approved
but appeared not to be UL approved. Is one approvement schedule more
rigorous than the other? Is CSA approvement superior to UL approvement?
I believe that UL approvement is totaly voluntary in the United States, but
is CSA voluntary in Canada?

UL = Underwriters Laboratory
CSA = Canadian Standards Association

Jeff Forbes

"....I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
			Thomas Edison

k3tx@wells.UUCP (Dave Heller) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec16.210528.12149@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) writes:
> but appeared not to be UL approved. Is one approvement schedule more
> rigorous than the other? Is CSA approvement superior to UL approvement?

In article <1990Dec16.210528.12149@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) writes:
> Since we have been having continued discussion about UL approved
> devices, I have a number of questions about such approval.
> I have seen a number of line powered devices that were CSA approved
> but appeared not to be UL approved. Is one approvement schedule more
> rigorous than the other? Is CSA approvement superior to UL approvement?
> I believe that UL approvement is totaly voluntary in the United States, but
> is CSA voluntary in Canada?
> UL = Underwriters Laboratory
> CSA = Canadian Standards Association

	Jeff Forbes raises some good questions, which I will try to answer
as succinctly as possible.  Unfortunately, I don't have an abundance of
Net time at the moment (I blew it on a related topic :-) ), so my answers
may be a bit oversimplified.  At least he didn't ask about VDE... :-)

	The interrelationship between some of the agencies I am about to
describe is complex, and has changed somewhat over the years.

	The National Electrical Code (NEC) is ANSI Standard C1, and is
revised every three years by the ANSI National Electrical Code Committee
under the aegis of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).  While
the NFPA has a large say in the NEC, other non-profit associations like IEEE,
government agencies, testing laboratories, and industry associations have
input in the formulation of the NEC revisions.

	The National Electrical Safety Code is ANSI Standard C2, and is
published by the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE).
One should realize that many members of the organizations listed in the
preceding paragraph are also IEEE members.

	Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) is a non-profit organization
with many responsibilities in the area of both electrical and non-electrical
safety issues.  One function of UL is to test electrical components and
apparatus to ascertain if they comply with the standards and specifications
set forth in the NEC.  Another function of UL is to publish various listings
of approved electrical components and apparatus, such as: "Electrical
Construction Materials Directory", "Electrical Appliance and Utilization
Equipment Directory", "Hazardous Location Equipment Directory", etc.

	While UL is by far the largest and best known testing organization,
it is not the only one.  Factory Mutual Research Corp. (FM) is the second
best known testing organization, with one of its specialties being components
and apparatus for use in hazardous locations.  Factory Mutual Research Corp.
is actually a subsidiary of Factory Mutual System, a consortium of four major
mutual property and casualty insurance companies.

	And then we have the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM),
whose various committees develop and publish various standards which may
be incorporated *within* NEC standards and may be used by organizations
such as UL and the NFPA.  ASTM committee members are usually members of
many of the above organizations.

	I warned you there were complex interrelationships!  :-)  And I
haven't even scratched the surface!

	A manufacturer wishing to have a product approved as an electrical
component or appliance makes application to UL for its evaluation and
certification.  And if any reader has had any dealings with UL, they also
know that one pays UL a *lot* of money for their work! :-)

	Now enter Canada:  The Canadian Standards Association (CSA) develops
and publishes the Canadian Electric Code (CEC).  In general, CSA and the
CEC is a superset of the NEC and National Electrical Safety Code.  The
CSA and CEC recognize and adopt UL standards and testing procedures, but
these are in addition to their own.

	So, to answer another question: CSA standards are viewed by many
as no less rigorous than UL, and in some cases even more rigorous.

	Items manufactured in Canada that are intended for sale in the U.S.
usually have joint UL and CSA approval, and vice versa.  As far as I know,
an item bearing *just* CSA approval and not listed by UL is not suitable
for use pursuant to the NEC.

	One last point: whether approval is voluntary or not.  In Canada
CSA approval is mandatory in order to meet CEC requirements.  In the U.S.
NEC requirements are most often met by UL approval, but FM approval is
also found in place of, or in addition to UL.

	I sincerely hope I have answered more questions than I may have
unintentionally created!

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry