[sci.electronics] Ham licenses without Morse code -- News item

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Michael A. Covington) (12/14/90)

Anybody out there interested in radio technology, digital radio communication,
satellites, or simply a more civilized alternative to CB?

The FCC has announced that it will soon be possible to get a ham license
without having to learn Morse code. Instead of spending a month listening
to dits and dahs, you can spend your time studying technology.

The code test for the Technician Class license is being made optional.
Without the code test, you get full VHF privileges (50 MHz and up --
sometimes described as "above 30 MHz" but there are no ham bands between
30 and 50).

There is still, of course, a test on radio theory and regulations.

Afterward, if you want to take the 5 wpm code test, you can get the
right to use Morse code on some shortwave bands. And of course all the
other classes of ham license are still there.

I have no more information. Watch the news as it happens in rec.ham-radio
or contact the American Radio Relay League, Newington, CT 06111.

dana@lando.la.locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec13.220156.23970@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Michael A. Covington) writes:

[ Comments about code free Technician class license deleted ]

>Afterward, if you want to take the 5 wpm code test, you can get the
>right to use Morse code on some shortwave bands. And of course all the
>other classes of ham license are still there.

   Don't forget; Novices and Technicians who have passed the 5 wpm code
test have 200 kHz of very active voice privileges on 10 meters in addition
to the CW sub-bands on 80, 40, 15 and 10 meters.

/*
 * Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*
 * (213) 337-5136 		| mine and do not necessarily	*
 * dana@locus.com		| reflect those of my employer	*
 */