[sci.electronics] Query: Breadboard vs. Wirewrap

toshi@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Toshi Kawanishi) (12/20/90)

Greetings.

I would like opinions on breadboarding vs. wire wrapping in the
context of designing and developing a fairly sophisticated m68k
based computer system.

In most cases I would guess that wire wrapping is better.  However,
I'm considering breadboards due to the fact that the design of the
memory system will evolve from simple to MMU based to MMU/CACHE.

I guess the basic CPU portion can be wire wrapped and I can pull some
ribbon cables to the bread board.

.Or anyone have better ideas??  Please post or Email, thanks

Also, does anyone know of mail order houses who carry motorola chips
(ACP is the best one I know)

-Toshi
toshi@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-I/O I/O off to work we go.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (12/20/90)

toshi@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Toshi Kawanishi) writes:
>I would like opinions on breadboarding vs. wire wrapping in the
>context of designing and developing a fairly sophisticated m68k
>based computer system.  [which will evolve]

Partly depends on how good you are at wrapping (I'm terrible at it).

Back when the 68008 came out, I breadboarded a small system and
it worked just great.  However, I was only running at 8Mhz.
It was very easy to modify and expand, tho.

I'd guess that if you kept the clock speed slow while breadboarding,
you could get away with a lot of additions.  Later, when you're
satisfied with the design, you could go to wirewrap.

Luck!  best - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>