[sci.electronics] Which cellular phone do I buy?

billp@col.hp.com (Bill Pherigo) (12/16/90)

     I'm planning to purchase a cellular phone as a Christmas gift.  I think
I want a transportable model rather than a portable one due to it's higher
power.  Should I just go get the one from Radio Shack, or is there a better
choice?

Bill Pherigo

gleason@mwk.uucp (Lee K. Gleason, Control-G Consultants) (12/17/90)

In article <16120018@col.hp.com>, billp@col.hp.com (Bill Pherigo) writes:
>      I'm planning to purchase a cellular phone as a Christmas gift.  I think
> I want a transportable model rather than a portable one due to it's higher
> power.  Should I just go get the one from Radio Shack, or is there a better
> choice?
>
> Bill Pherigo

  Speaking strictly from my personal experience, I have been very
dissatisfied with the 500 model portable phone from Panasonic. My phone
has an appetite for $85.00 NiCad batteries that is very annoying, and it
gets very hot while connected to external power sources. Repreated trips
to service centers have not altered either of these two problems.

gleason@mwk.uucp

nx00699@dsac.dla.mil (Gene McManus) (12/21/90)

From article <16120018@col.hp.com>, by billp@col.hp.com (Bill Pherigo):

>      I'm planning to purchase a cellular phone as a Christmas gift.  I think
> I want a transportable model rather than a portable one due to it's higher
> power.  Should I just go get the one from Radio Shack, or is there a better
> choice?
>
> Bill Pherigo

I like my transportable. The _big_ plus is that it's ...well,
transportable, and I can put it in whatever vehicle I'm using in a
moment.

Look for sign-up come-ons! Only _buy_ one as a last resort. For
example; I'm picking up a second line on my current account, and
getting a new Uniden transportable (mdl CP2500). It's going to be a
rental ($9.95/mo), but the come-on has 12 months of free rent, plus 90
minutes (up to 150 minutes with caveats) of free air time. This
happens to be a Cellular One hook-up, but you see the same kinds of
deals w/AT&T. Some have a $49 phone ... giveaways instead of a rental
deal. The cellular dealers tell me that there's no money in cellular
phone units these days, too much/heavy competition. They make their
money from the activation fees, and feedback from the carrier.

Hope this helps, and saves you a buck.

Gene
gmcmanus@dsac.dla.mil