[sci.electronics] FAX/voice incoming call switcher

rdw2030@venus.tamu.edu (12/17/90)

In the past few months, I recall seeing a project in one of the electronics
mags that could tell if an incoming call was a FAX machine or NOT and act
accordingly.  Since then, the need for such a device has arisen, and I can't
recall where I saw it.  I dug through the past several months of Radio
Electronics, Modern Electronics, and QST.  I think the problem may be that
it wasn't a main article, but an article about a new chip and a possible
application for it.  Then again, maybe not... :-)

Please e-mail me if you know where I can find this article!

Thanks!!

Mark C. Lowe - KB5III

RDW2030@TAMVENUS.BITNET

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (12/23/90)

In article <9115@lanl.gov>, rdw2030@venus.tamu.edu writes:
> In the past few months, I recall seeing a project in one of the electronics
> mags that could tell if an incoming call was a FAX machine or NOT and act
> accordingly.

These devices don't work very well, because they have to answer the
line, and then listen for a fax tone.  Most folks sending a fax to you
will be listening for a tone from YOUR end before hitting the send
button, which means that the fax box will end up switching the call to
your phone.

Better to get distinctive ringing, where the phone company assigns
another number to the same line.  Then get a box that can switch the
call between devices based upon ringing cadence.

The Hello Direct catalog has one, although it is not the box that they
market for fax switching.  They advertise it for switching between your
business and personal phone at home.  Their number is 800-HI-HELLO.

I have used the AutoLine Plus from ITS in Endicott, NY.  Their number
is 800-525-4596.  It works great, and can switch between THREE devices.

Tad Cook
Seattle, WA
Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544
Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad
or, tad@ssc.UUCP