[sci.electronics] morse code

ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu (Shailendra Anant Save) (12/13/90)

  Does anyone have the morse code in ascii?
I am studying for my radio operators licence, and
I just wrote a program to send me some beeps and
bops for dots and dashes by reading from a text file.
The problem is that I don't have codes for each
of the letters and the numbers and special characters.
Could someone send these to me? eg:

o - - -
s . . .

  Also, could someone tell me what the delay in terms
of unit time that one has to have between letters
(characters). And between words?

  I'll probably put this up for anonymous ftp after
I have done with it. Eventually it should be able
to take *in* morse and give the characters. It will
also have a noise includer. Something that will "forget"
to beep one or two dots or dashes in a word during
transmission. Good for real-time simulation.

  Say, why do people use morse nowadays anyway?

                                            --Shailendra

--
 Physical:  Shailendra Save,      Logical:  ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu
            2303 Conger Baits II,    UUCP:  ...!umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!ssave

In article <1990Dec12.231058.23895@engin.umich.edu> ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu (Shailendra Anant Save) writes:
>  Say, why do people use morse nowadays anyway?

For conformance with antiquated regulations, because they're old-fashioned,
or because they're stranded on a desert island which is well-supplied with
analog electronic parts but has no digital parts.  Morse is basically
obsolete, since digital modulation techniques are far superior at punching
clean signals through noise.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

reed@mozart.amd.com (David F. Reed) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec14.012315.7858@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1990Dec12.231058.23895@engin.umich.edu> ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu (Shailendra Anant Save) writes:
>>  Say, why do people use morse nowadays anyway?
>
>For conformance with antiquated regulations, because they're old-fashioned,
>or because they're stranded on a desert island which is well-supplied with
>analog electronic parts but has no digital parts.  Morse is basically
>obsolete, since digital modulation techniques are far superior at punching
>clean signals through noise.

Silly me, Henry, all this time of being an old fart, I thought cw was the
first digital (on and off, modulated by keying) modulation technique...
and as far as punching signals through the noise, you will find it hard
to beat (without the military budget) that active filter most humans have
between the ears, occupying the cranial cavity.

hmmm, where did I go wrong all those years???

cheers!

"...just my opinion, not speaking for AMD." KK5D, 7J1AGO, XE1ZDR
David F. Reed       4512 Clarno         Austin TX 78749
packet: KK5D@KB5PM      driving by? try 442.150 repeater

ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) (12/14/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>In article <1990Dec12.231058.23895@engin.umich.edu> ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu (Shailendra Anant Save) writes:
>>  Say, why do people use morse nowadays anyway?

>For conformance with antiquated regulations, because they're old-fashioned,
>or because they're stranded on a desert island which is well-supplied with
>analog electronic parts but has no digital parts.  Morse is basically
>obsolete, since digital modulation techniques are far superior at punching
>clean signals through noise.

Hold the phone (pun???).

I thought that CW *is* a digital mode.

BNF:
<tone> := true;
<silence> := false;

Now, some digital modes are certainly superior to others, and some are
more suited for usage in high-noise (QRM) radio circuits than others.
Let's not confuse the issue by branding CW as an *ANALOG* mode, especially
since most digital modes in use today on UHF and below are merely digitally
modulated analog signals, like CW.

If you are branding morse as obsolete because of the modulation techniques
then HF packet, AMTOR, and RTTY are also obsolete.

Ben

--
Ben Thornton             packet:  WD5HLS @ KB5PM
Video Associates       Internet:  ben@val.com

touch@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Joe Touch) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.152659.8250@val.com> ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) writes:
>henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>I thought that CW *is* a digital mode.
>
>BNF:
><tone> := true;
><silence> := false;

Depends on what you call digital.  Actually, time is part of the
BNF (dot = 3 * dash, etc).  Time is also quantized, so it is digital
in the true sense, just NOT binary.  The BNF would be:

dot := tone-for-dot-interval
no-dot := silence-for-dot-interval
dash := dot dot dot
intra-letter-space := no-dot
no-dash := no-dot no-dot no-dot
inter-letter-space := no-dash
? inter-wordspace := no-dash no-dash no-dash

I'm sure the space between dots and dashes is one dot time, and
the spaces between letters is one dash, and three dot times are
one dash time.  I'm not sure about the space between words, or
if there even is one defined (I think you may just parse the
letter stream into words by context alone).

Joe Touch
PhD Candidate
Dept of Computer and Information Science
Univ of Pennsylvania

mack@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Clark McDonald) (12/15/90)

>  Say, why do people use morse nowadays anyway?

   1)  Because it allows the ability to send/receive intelligence
       from almost anywhere to almost anywhere with a minimum of
       equipment.  Never know when you might need to do just that.
       Back when the students were protesting in China, some of the
       only *real* inside information to get out of the country
       was done with simple (below 30 mHz) Morse equipment.

   2)  Morse is *fun*.  folks who have never sat up all night long
       pounding the key on a flea power rig have trouble with this
       one.  (just ask mah XYL er, uh, wife....   :-)  )

   3)  Simplicity has many virtues, one of them being low cost.
       I for one would never have learned much about radio electronics
       in my youth if Amateur Radio gear cost then (late '50s, early
       '60s) what it does today.  There's so much knowledge gained in
       "rolling your own" equipment.  Code is cheap.  Code is cool.

--mack

Disclaimer:  Claim 'er?  I don't even *know* 'er!

--
Clark (Mack) McDonald                 ARPA:  mack@frc.ri.cmu.edu
Field Robotics Center

paulf@shasta.Stanford.EDU (paulf) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.152659.8250@val.com> ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) writes:
>Now, some digital modes are certainly superior to others, and some are
>more suited for usage in high-noise (QRM) radio circuits than others.
>Let's not confuse the issue by branding CW as an *ANALOG* mode, especially
>since most digital modes in use today on UHF and below are merely digitally
>modulated analog signals, like CW.

Branding CW as a "digital mode" is sort of like calling a bicycle an
automobile because it has wheels.  While the symbols take on discrete levels,
both the encoding process and the decoding process are very analog in
nature.

>If you are branding morse as obsolete because of the modulation techniques
>then HF packet, AMTOR, and RTTY are also obsolete.

The problem here is that you're confusing coding with modulation.  HF packet
et al are all FM in nature, which is somewhat superior to AM modes like CW
when it comes to decoding (orthogonality).

Old tech myths die hard...

-=Paul Flaherty, N9FZX      | Without KILL files,
->paulf@shasta.Stanford.EDU | life itself would be impossible.

karn@envy.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (12/15/90)

In article <MACK.90Dec14152455@shovel.frc.ri.cmu.edu>,
mack@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Clark McDonald) writes:

|>        Back when the students were protesting in China, some of the
|>        only *real* inside information to get out of the country
|>        was done with simple (below 30 mHz) Morse equipment.

Funny, I thought it was all done with FAX machines and standard dialup
phone lines.

Phil

In article <1990Dec14.150737.2609@mozart.amd.com> reed@mozart.amd.com (David F. Reed) writes:
>and as far as punching signals through the noise, you will find it hard
>to beat (without the military budget) that active filter most humans have
>between the ears, occupying the cranial cavity.

For digital communications purposes, much better active filters can be, and
already are, implemented in silicon at amateur prices.  Ask some of the folks
doing digital satellite communications with modern modulation techniques.
--

ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec14.012315.7858@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1990Dec12.231058.23895@engin.umich.edu> ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu (Shailendra Anant Save) writes:
>>  Say, why do people use morse nowadays anyway?
>
>For conformance with antiquated regulations, because they're old-fashioned,
>or because they're stranded on a desert island which is well-supplied with
>analog electronic parts but has no digital parts.

Also because of nasty ITU regulations.

More reasonably, code is exceedingly useful in low-power operations.
Yes, DSP is going to change everyones life who can afford it, but
morse code still serves a serious need for efficient communication
with exceedingly small bandwidths (important on shrinking ham bands).
If you have ever tried to work a satellite on battery power (like I did
last field day), you'd see that morse is about the only reasonable way
of pulling it off.

Of course, I really haven't used code since then...

-Tom
N3HAU

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (12/18/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>>  Say, why do people use morse nowadays anyway?

>For conformance with antiquated regulations, because they're old-fashioned,
>or because they're stranded on a desert island which is well-supplied with
>analog electronic parts but has no digital parts.  Morse is basically
>obsolete, since digital modulation techniques are far superior at punching
>clean signals through noise.

Conformance with regs has nothing to do with it. Nobody will force you
to go anywhere near a key after you get your license. Besides, some of
us *like* CW.

You know, if I changed the above question to:

	Say, why do people use 16 bit architectures nowadays anyway?

your answer would still apply. Come on, Henry - you've only had a
"no code" computer for a year or so :-)

--
    Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
        {alberta,cbmvax,mips}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca

k3tx@wells.UUCP (Dave Heller) (12/18/90)

In article <7197@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) writes:
> In article <1990Dec14.012315.7858@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >In article <1990Dec12.231058.23895@engin.umich.edu> ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu (Shailendra Anant Save) writes:
> >>  Say, why do people use morse nowadays anyway?

N3HAU seems to have learned the code just to get his Tech ticket (assume he's
a Tech from the makeup of his call).  Doesn't anyone realize that some of us
(which includes a large proportion of the real good amateur operators) use CW
by choice as the most relaxing and interesting mode?  And for the traffic nets
CW seems to work better - we tried just the other night to pass the same message
both on 2 meter FM (local, repeater) and on 80 CW.  The 80 CW pair got done much
faster. - - may I draw an alalogy:  some of the boat hobbiests seem to like
sailboats, when everyone knows sailboats are obsolete as all hell.  (As for me
I would prefer never to see or hear about anything involving boats.)> >
> >For conformance with antiquated regulations, because they're old-fashioned,
> >or because they're stranded on a desert island which is well-supplied with
> >analog electronic parts but has no digital parts.
>
> Also because of nasty ITU regulations.
Try usisng it. You might like it.> More reasonably, code is exceedingly useful in low-power operations.
> Of course, I really haven't used code since then...
Nothing to brag about.

ccopjss@cc.brunel.ac.uk (John Smith) (12/18/90)

>>In article <1990Dec12.231058.23895@engin.umich.edu> ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu (Shailendra Anant Save) writes:
>>>  Say, why do people use morse nowadays anyway?
>
>>For conformance with antiquated regulations, because they're old-fashioned,

The other remarks made by the various posters are all relevant and
(sometimes) humorous.

There is a point no-one seems to mention, the concept of "filtering
out the noisy".

Unfortunately it is not one hundred percent successful but it does
make a lot of difference.

Anyone who has listened to the quality of the conversations on both
amature radio bands and the so called "citizen"  radio bands have
noticed the difference in the mentalities involved.

As long as the difficulties of learning Morse code in order to
get a licence, continues to keep to a minimum the number of the
ignorant and foul mouthed types allowed to use certain frequencies
I have no doubt it will be used.

The days when in order to use radio communication one had to build
ones own transmitter ( and hence be intelligent) have (some might say
unfortunately) passed, and the result of allowing the only barrier
to this form of communication to be money or theft can be heard
on any CB channel. (shudder)

So let us hope that "the powers that be" keep obstacles such as
the technical exam and the morse code test, for the benefit of those
who can use radio sensibly.

I do not have an amature radio licence, but I know people who do
and on the whole they are better than the CB types who dont.

John.

ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) (12/19/90)

In article <691@wells.UUCP> k3tx@wells.UUCP (Dave Heller) writes:
>In article <7197@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ins_atge@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Thomas G Edwards) writes:
>N3HAU seems to have learned the code just to get his Tech ticket (assume he's

actually I learned it to get my novice :)

>a Tech from the makeup of his call).  Doesn't anyone realize that some of us
>(which includes a large proportion of the real good amateur operators) use CW
>by choice as the most relaxing and interesting mode?

Oh yeah.  There are alot of serious CW hams.  It's near impossible to make
voice contacts on HF any more with all the QRM.  CW lets you blow through
all that stuff for regular reliable communication.  Besides, HF bandwidth
needs conserving and CW is a good way to do it.

>And for the traffic nets CW seems to work better
Than voice.  Especially in emergency situations.  Alot of people forget
that a serious emergency could wipe a whole lot of Packet BBS's
off the air, making packet NTS a little more difficult.  (I'm not downing
packet, this is just reality).

>>{Hitting RUDAK sats with 5 watts on CW}
>> Of course, I really haven't used code since then...
>Nothing to brag about.
Probably not...I think the only way one can build code speed up from
the 6-8 WPM level is serious on-air practice, and I just haven't had the
time recently to get on HF.  Even though HF allows world-wide contacts
and such, the QRM makes is fairly unappealing to me.  Occasionally I
glide by the shack, but I can talk to hundreds of people on 2m FM
voice or packet with almost no noise.  Yes, someday I want to do
20 WPM, but that day is far off when I have more liesure time.

-Tom
N3HAU

mack@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Clark McDonald) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec14.204853@envy.bellcore.com>,
karn@envy.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:

>Funny, I thought it was all done with FAX machines and standard
>dialup phone lines.
>
>Phil

 -.-- --- ..-    - .... --- ..- --. .... -    .-- .-. --- -. --.

Yeah, there was a lotta FAX going on.  That's why I said *some* of the
only real inside information to get out of the country was done with
simple Morse equipment.  Whut's the beef, Phil?

--mack

--

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (12/20/90)

In article <1916@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> ccopjss@cc.brunel.ac.uk (John Smith) writes:

>There is a point no-one seems to mention, the concept of "filtering
>out the noisy".
>
>Unfortunately it is not one hundred percent successful but it does
>make a lot of difference.
>
>Anyone who has listened to the quality of the conversations on both
>amature radio bands and the so called "citizen"  radio bands have
>noticed the difference in the mentalities involved.
>
>As long as the difficulties of learning Morse code in order to
>get a licence, continues to keep to a minimum the number of the
>ignorant and foul mouthed types allowed to use certain frequencies
>I have no doubt it will be used.
>
>So let us hope that "the powers that be" keep obstacles such as
>the technical exam and the morse code test, for the benefit of those
>who can use radio sensibly.
>
>I do not have an amature radio licence, but I know people who do
>and on the whole they are better than the CB types who dont.

The average age of amateur radio operators is 50. The average age of
CB operators is between 20 and 30 (no one knows for sure since licensing
for CB is now nonexistant). The number of CB operators is at least 10
times the number of amateur operators and they are all crowded into
40 channels. The classic generation gap between the more mannerly oldsters
and the young rowdies is a reflection of social change not differing
licensing requirements. The huge numbers and the extreme crowding make
the problems heard on CB seem much worse than they are. If you confined
your amateur operations to 14.313 Mhz and certain portions of the 75 meter
band and certain 2 meter repeaters, you would think that amateur radio
was as bad as CB.

We must wake up to the fact that amateur radio inevitably will face the
effects of social change as the older generation dies off and new blood
trickles in whether there is a code test or not. Now that there is not
a code test for one class of license, this trickle may accelerate a bit.
We must prepare to deal with these changes. Fortunately, we still have
a bit of room so the intense crowding that CB suffers won't be a big
factor in making things worse. Also we have the advantage that we out-
number the newcomers and will for some years to come. CB's problems
started with an explosion of new operators who overwhelmed the few early
users. There was no chance to introduce the newcomers to established
operating practices. We have that chance, if we don't blow it. Things
will change as the demographics and size of the operator pool changes.
We have the opportunity to guide the changes that will inevitably come
to amateur radio, if we are willing to get out and work to do so. Not
all of the changes will be bad. We will either learn new ways ourselves,
or be relegated to the old fossil's corner. Times of change are times of
opportunity if you have an open mind. Only dead things don't change.

As a positive example of what you can do. In your licensing classes,
spend the time you would have taken teaching Morse to prospective
Techs, teaching good operating practice. On the air, welcome the newcomers
and demonstrate by example good operating practice. At your club meetings,
seek out newcomers and welcome them. Invite newcomers to participate in
your activities.

To handle the inevitable troublemakers found in any new barrel of apples,
dust off that DF equipment. Organize a group of turkey hunters. Bring
social pressure to bear against the bad guys. As a last resort, work
through the ARRL monitoring system to aid the FCC in shutting them down.
Become a part of the ARRL monitoring system yourself, make it work.

We have the power to make amateur radio better than it is, if we are willing
to work at it. Sitting on the sidelines gripping and whining won't do the
job.

Gary KE4ZV

kitagawa@will.ntt.jp (Masahiro Kitagawa) (12/25/90)

CW/Morse-code itself may not be so interesting as a modulation/coding
technique any more. But how experienced operators decode morse-code is
very interesting.

After operating CW intensively in those contests, every hiss sound is
decoded as Morse-code for me. Even wind seems calling like 'DE ....'.
This symptom continues almost for a day, until I get enough sleep. My
ear/nerve/brain system seems over adaptive to morse-code :-) Some kind
of matched filter must be formed in my brain. Or it has been already
built in my brain after years of over dose to CW. (addictive) And a
hour of intensive operation may activate it.

As a little bit old-fashioned ham operator, I like CW very much.

As a scientist, I am very much interested in how human brain is
adapted to CW/Morse-code. (Though I am amature in neuro science.)

As an engineer, I want to emulate CW decoding mechanism of human brain
by electronics such as DSP, neural network, software, ...
Interesting enough !

As someone pointed at, CW is like bicycle. Both are easy for human,
but very difficult for machine to manipulate. Is there already a robot
which can ride bicycle very well ?

masa

*--- **** ***-- *--* *-* *-*
Masahiro Kitagawa	(JH3PRR)
NTT Research Labs. Tokyo Japan
kitagawa@will.ntt.jp

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (12/26/90)

In article <13605@will.ntt.JP> kitagawa@will.ntt.jp (Masahiro Kitagawa) writes:
>CW/Morse-code itself may not be so interesting as a modulation/coding
>technique any more. But how experienced operators decode morse-code is
>very interesting.
>
>After operating CW intensively in those contests, every hiss sound is
>decoded as Morse-code for me. Even wind seems calling like 'DE ....'.
>This symptom continues almost for a day, until I get enough sleep. My
>ear/nerve/brain system seems over adaptive to morse-code :-) Some kind
>of matched filter must be formed in my brain. Or it has been already
>built in my brain after years of over dose to CW. (addictive) And a
>hour of intensive operation may activate it.
>
>As a little bit old-fashioned ham operator, I like CW very much.
>
>As a scientist, I am very much interested in how human brain is
>adapted to CW/Morse-code. (Though I am amature in neuro science.)
>
>As an engineer, I want to emulate CW decoding mechanism of human brain
>by electronics such as DSP, neural network, software, ...
>Interesting enough !
>
>As someone pointed at, CW is like bicycle. Both are easy for human,
>but very difficult for machine to manipulate. Is there already a robot
>which can ride bicycle very well ?

I haven't heard of an anthropomorphic robot that could mount a bicycle
built for humans and ride off. I have seen a child's toy motorcycle
that rides about by itself. I have even seen a toy unicycle that
can stay upright. And of course there are model helicopters that
can hover under gyro control, a three axis stablization problem.

It would be terribly inefficient to design an anthropomorphic robot
to ride a bicycle. There is no need to go to such Rube Goldberg lengths
when a robot can be directly connected to the wheels. It would be terribly
inefficient to design a machine to read on-off keyed Morse Code. It's been
done, but there are other non-human readable codes that are more efficient
for a machine to use. PSK encoded ASCII with FEC for example.

Gary KE4ZV

rambler@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Dan Meyer) (12/28/90)

Gawd! I abandoned rec.ham-radio because of the code wars! Pleeaase take it
somewhere else!

-- Dan Meyer

N0KFB

(grumble grumble grumble...)
Remember: " Buffalo never Oink " Seen on a South Dakota travel brocure.
Advertisment: Try the Railway Post Office , a railfan BBS ! (612) 377-2197.
UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!rambler
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!rambler@nosc.mil
INET: rambler@pnet51.orb.mn.org