[sci.electronics] Low Voltage lighting

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (12/28/90)

From: charless@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Charles R. Sullivan)

This doesn't indicate whether it is SS or not.  Transformers can have serious
problems when driven by the output of a 'normal' dimmer.  This is because the
dimmer can be somewhat assymetric, and put some dc voltage on the transformer
primary.  Since the primary is nearly a short for dc, it draws lots of current,
perhaps the core saturates, and the transformer can overheat, a serious fire
hazard.

'SS transformers,' which are usually a rectifier, followed by a 25kHz inverter,
followed by a high frequency transformer, and usually put out 25kHz ac to the
lamp, have other problems on normal dimmers, notably flickering, acoustic noise
and possibly shortened life of the SS transformer and the dimmer.

*****Warning: Blatant commercial plug follows.******

Dimming both types is possible--just make sure you use a dimmer designed for
that purpose.  The company I used to work for, Lutron Electronics, makes both
types in a variety of styles.  Call 800 433 3334 (800 523 9466 in PA) for more
info.

Charlie Sullivan                                   charless@cory.berkeley.edu

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/29/90)

In article <9949@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> charless@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
|>The lamp has a power supply/transformer which takes 120 VAC
|>and converts it to 12 V. (I don't know if it's really a
|
|This doesn't indicate whether it is SS or not.  Transformers can have serious

Ok, I took apart my Crest Low Voltage Halogen Track Light, which uses
a GE MR-16 50 W bulb. It is solid state. There is a bridge rectifier
followed by a smallish capacitor feeding a couple of power transistor
looking devices (could be MOSFETs, I don't know) which drive a small
transformer. Obviously they are using high frequency voltage conversion
to reduce the size of the package, trading silicon for iron.

--
Whatever happened to Global Warming? Could we have some Local Warming?