[sci.electronics] replace Norelco shaver battery?

mep@inmet.inmet.com (12/27/90)

The battery in my Norelco shaver (950RX) is taking less & less of a
charge - it now lasts only a few days instead of weeks.  Has anyone
tried replacing just the Ni-Cad battery?  (I assume it's a Ni-Cad).  Is
it a standard part that's available at an electronics store for a
reasonable price (less than $60-80 for a new Norelco)?  I assume some
(de)soldering would be required.

Email reply appreciated.

(I know this is sci.electronics, but I see mostly consumer-oriented notes
 here!)

   /-------------------------------------------------------------\
   | Mark Polhamus    mep@inmet.inmet.com    ..!uunet!inmet!mep  |
   \-------------------------------------------------------------/

gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) (12/29/90)

In article <17100010@inmet> mep@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>The battery in my Norelco shaver (950RX) is taking less & less of a charge.

I just replaced the two batteries in my Norelco shaver.  I don't
recall the model number of the shaver, but I would be surprised
if yours has a different size battery.

The batteries that you need to get are sub-C Ni-cads.  Prices varied
greatly, from about $3.00 per cell to over $7.00.  Make sure that you
get cells with solder tabs which will make it MUCH easier to connect
the new cells to the shaver.  Be certain to connect the new cells with
the same polarity in the circuit as the old cells.  Otherwise the
shaver will run backwards.

--
Rich Gopstein

gopstein@squibb.com
rutgers!squibb.com!gopstein

sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) (12/29/90)

In article <1126@soleil.UUCP> gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) writes:
}In article <17100010@inmet> mep@inmet.inmet.com writes:
}>
}>The battery in my Norelco shaver (950RX) is taking less & less of a charge.
}
}I just replaced the two batteries in my Norelco shaver.  I don't
}recall the model number of the shaver, but I would be surprised
}if yours has a different size battery.
}
}The batteries that you need to get are sub-C Ni-cads.  Prices varied
}greatly, from about $3.00 per cell to over $7.00.  Make sure that you
}get cells with solder tabs which will make it MUCH easier to connect
}the new cells to the shaver.  Be certain to connect the new cells with
}the same polarity in the circuit as the old cells.  Otherwise the
}shaver will run backwards.

Radio Shack sells the sub-C batteries with tabs for $6.79/pr.
If you have a local electronics store you may be able to do
better.
--
Seth J. Bradley   Address: sjb@dalek.iwarp.intel.com
		       Or: dalek.UUCP!sjb

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (12/29/90)

Yes. I have replaced these many times. Open up the Norelco and see what's
inside. Radio Shack probably has an equivalent, and if not, you can get
a new cell from Norelco for something like $1.50.  (I once did this in
England, and once in Atlanta.)  Best to replace both cells so as to get
a good match; otherwise one cell will slowly kill off the other one.

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (12/30/90)

In <17100010@inmet> mep@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>The battery in my Norelco shaver (950RX) is taking less & less of a
>charge - it now lasts only a few days instead of weeks.  Has anyone
>tried replacing just the Ni-Cad battery?  (I assume it's a Ni-Cad).  Is
>it a standard part that's available at an electronics store for a
>reasonable price (less than $60-80 for a new Norelco)?  I assume some
>(de)soldering would be required.

Ni-cad batteries are quite sensitive to how you charge them.  They
should be deep-cycled to maximize their charge time.  In short,
don't put it on the charger until the low-charge indicator comes on.

I have seen discussions on restoring ni-cads that have been
charged too frequently by draining them completely and
recharging, but I don't remember the details.

I've been impressed by the Norelco 905RX I was given recently.  I
have been using it for over a month on the original charge and am
still waiting for the charge light to come on.
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way