[sci.electronics] Oscillators, PLL's, and FM demodulation - How do you do it?

josephc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph I. Chiu) (12/28/90)

I need all the help I can get, and thanks in advance to everyone for
reading this post...

For my 3rd sophomore project (or possibly my senior project, depending on
when I have sufficient information), I would like to build a computer
controlled radio receiver.  What I would like to build, essentially, is
a scanner-like device that covers the 25 MHz to 1300 MHz spectrum.

(It is not unreasonable, I should think, since many scanners nowadays cover
 the above spectrum)

Although I understand the theory behind the operation, I do not have any
practical information on how to go about generating the desired frequencies,
how to use PLL's (are they even necessary if given a stable frequency source?),
and -gulp- how to demodulate FM.  (Apparently, there are 'Narrow' and 'Wide'
modes of FM.)

Could someone recommend a good cookbook (if any), magazine articles, or even
offer a hand?  My current goal for the project, basically, is to build a
prioritized, dual tuning scanner that monitors all (interested) channels,
and will continue to monitor other channels while 'reading' one channel so
that if a channel of a higher priority breaks in, it will go to that one.

Again, thanks in advance.

-- Joseph
.
josephc@coil.caltech.edu               ...Just another lost soul in the universe

teb@uqun38.nixdorf.de (Tobias Brueck) (01/02/91)

josephc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph I. Chiu) writes:

>I need all the help I can get, and thanks in advance to everyone for
>reading this post...
>Could someone recommend a good cookbook (if any), magazine articles, or even
>offer a hand?  My current goal for the project, basically, is to build a
>Again, thanks in advance.
>josephc@coil.caltech.edu               ...Just another lost soul in the universe

I think a few month ago there was an article in a german electronic-magazine ,
for a PC-RADIO . It was only for the UKW-Band ( 87-108MHZ FM ) .
The Problem with lower frequencies is to get interferences and noise on AM .
This will be produced by harmonic of your Computerclock .
But , if you interest I'll send you a copy .

*****     The world looks good , if I close my eyes                    ******
|  Tobias Brueck      | Siemens-Nixdorf-Informationssysteme AG | WI-FF-382  |
|  D-W-4790 Paderborn | Heinz-Nixdorf-Ring    |  Phone:  inter-5251-10-5815 |
|  Federal Republic of Germany      |       Republique Federale d'Allemagne |
| europe: eunet : ..!unido!nixpbe!brueck.pad  |  brueck.pad@nixdorf.com...  |
| usa:    usenet: ..!linus!nixbur!brueck.pad  |                             |