[sci.electronics] Chip listings

mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) (01/02/91)

Could someone please tell me the name of a book (or place to find one)
that lists chips by number, describing their purpose?

		Thanks

Matthew Frohman        texbell!digi!mfrohman  OR  mfrohman@digi.UUCP
                                OR  mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org

josephc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph I. Chiu) (01/03/91)

mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes:

>Could someone please tell me the name of a book (or place to find one)
>that lists chips by number, describing their purpose?

Call up a sales office for the chip makers (usually, there's one for sure in
the Silicon Valley area - just say Cupertino or Sunneyvale or something like
that when calling the information [Santa Clara, too]) and ask for a Data
Handbook for the family of interest (7400's 4000's, you name it...).  Many
companies are usually happy to send you a data book.

-- Joseph
.
josephc@coil.caltech.edu               ...Just another lost soul in the universe

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan3.060821.10632@nntp-server.caltech.edu> josephc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Joseph I. Chiu) writes:
>mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes:
>
>>Could someone please tell me the name of a book (or place to find one)
>>that lists chips by number, describing their purpose?
>
>Call up a sales office for the chip makers (usually, there's one for sure in
>the Silicon Valley area - just say Cupertino or Sunneyvale or something like
>that when calling the information [Santa Clara, too]) and ask for a Data
>Handbook for the family of interest (7400's 4000's, you name it...).  Many
>companies are usually happy to send you a data book.

Of course, that won't get you a general list of "Gee, I wonder what this chip
labeled xxxx##xxx####-xxx does?" As I mentioned to Matthew in email, the
IC Master is the thing for that (at it's price, it had better be!)

Does anyone know of any publications that does the random-black-box
identification nearly as well as the IC Master, but that might be had for,
say, 1/5th to 1/10th the price?

--
Disclaimer: Yeah, right, like you really believe I run this place.
John R. Murray              |        "Never code anything