[sci.electronics] Meters and RMS, was: Powerline voltage too high...

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (01/03/91)

In article <5402@rsiatl.Dixie.Com> larry@rsiatl.UUCP (Larry Kahhan) writes:

>>rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) writes:
>>
>>>... Again, there is NO SUCH THING as "true RMS"; it's just RMS! ...
>>

>Not so! Early AC voltmeters used a technique to measure the RMS values
>of sinusoidal waveforms by a simple calibration technique.

Uh, Larry, how old are you??!

At best, what you meant to say is mis-stated by confusing measuring
technique with calibration technique, but I catch your drift.  "Early" AC
voltmeters of the iron-vane repulsion or thermopile type co-existed with and
in many cases preceeded some of those average-responding D'Arsonval
movements so common until the advent of digital display meters.  These were
in common use in various industries, including the electric utilities and
standards labs.

(For those who may not know, the "simple calibration technique" is insuring
that the calibration source is a pure sinusoid and adjusting the output
scaling so that the rms-equivalent is displayed.)

The lower cost of the "newer" meters made them available to a wider, but not
necessarily more educated clientele, who weren't aware that the analog (and
now digital) meters would not read the correct RMS of a non-sinusoid, now
more important as the resolution increased (mostly far in excess of even the
short-term accuracy) by using digital displays.

>When AC
>voltmeters came along which could determine the RMS value of an
>arbitrary waveform (using any one of a number of techniques) these
>meters were called "true RMS" to distinguish them from ealier RMS
>meters.

Nope, the goofy phrase was coined by a combination of marketers and at-best
apathetic engineers who didn't insist on "RMS-responding" (doesn't sound as
catchy, does it?), and now we're stuck with a re-education task, always
harder the original educating would have been.

Your KWHr meter has always been RMS-responding.

>However, there is only one real definition of RMS, as
>Richard points out.
>
>Larry Kahhan - NRA, NRA-ILA, CSG, GSSA , & GOA

Other goofy marketing anomalies (or should I just be honest and call them
the mistake they are?) are the 3-1/2 (or whatever) -digit tag on a meter
whose full scale reading is 1999 counts (anybody know logarithms?), and the
meter with "0.1%" accuracy, enthusiastically promising a reading no more
than a factor of 1000 off!

Rich

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (01/03/91)

>Your KWHr meter has always been RMS-responding.
>[...]
>Rich
RMS is not and should not be used in 'true' power meters.  They read just plain
average power ( I will use '<P>' for this).  The only reason people use RMS
to begin with is to be able to calculate <P> from V^2/R by using V=RMS(V(t)).
From: charless@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Charles R. Sullivan)

Perhaps this example will help. To spare you the trigonometry, I
will use a square wave voltage, 50% duty cycle, between 0 and 100V.
    RMS(V(t)) = sqrt( (100^2 + 0)/2 ) = 70.7 Volts.
With a 10 ohm load (resistive), I(t) is a sqare wave between 10A and 0, so
    <P(t)> = <V(t)*I(t)> =  (100*10 + 0)/2 = 500W
To calculate <P> = V^2/R, we use
    RMS(V(t)) = sqrt( (100^2 + 0)/2 ) = 70.7 Volts,
so  <P> = 5000/10 = 500W, as before.

We needed the RMS trick, because the straight average voltage, 50V would
not give the right result; 50^2/10 = 250 W.

However, doing RMS(P(t)) yields a wierd, not-useful result:
RMS(P(t)) = sqrt( (1000^2 + 0)/2 ) = 707W.  I certainly hope the
power company doesn't use that to bill me.  (That would mean, for example,
that using a 1000W appliance for 1/2 hour would be billed the same as a
707W appliance for 1 hour!)
~
Perhaps the reason a 'true RMS power meter' is sometimes specified is that
if you made a power measurement by measuring voltage and current, with
separate meters, and then multiplied the
measurements together *after* the meters averaged each independently, you would
prefer meters that used 'true RMS' measurements of the voltage and current.
This would result in correct average power in the case of a resistive
load.  However, it would not give correct results for a current waveform
that was not identical in shape and phase to the voltage wavform.  Hence
the need for power meters, which multiply the instantaneous voltage and
current, and then average (or in the case of a kWhr. meter, integrate)
the result.

Charlie Sullivan                         charless@cory.berkeley.edu

In article <10003@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> Charles Sullivan writes:

  >>Your KWHr meter has always been RMS-responding.
  >>[...]
  >>Rich

 >RMS is not and should not be used in 'true' power meters.  They read just
 >plain average power ( I will use '<P>' for this).  The only reason people
 >use RMS to begin with is to be able to calculate <P> from V^2/R by using
 >V=RMS(V(t)).

Indeed, Mr. Sullivan is correct and my short statement about the KWHr meter
is incorrect.  The mechanical and hall-effect electronic meters do multiply
the instantaneous values and integrate.  Sorry for its inclusion.

Rich

dam@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr David Morning) (01/04/91)

I've never really understood why the term "root mean square"(RMS) is applied to
power measurements.

Power = (V)rms*(I)rms would imply to me that 2 roots are being mutiplied
together leaving just a mean squared value.

Similarly Power= (I)rms^2 * R cancels the the "r" of the "rms"

I used to work for a firm which manufactured AC digital panel meters.
The only time I've heard the term "True RMS" used was in relation to a digital
multimeter that incorporated a true RMS chip. This chip prformed all sorts
of convoluted analogue maths to arrive at the answer. Might have used Simpsons
rule or something similar but all the other AC meters were termed "Average
Sensing, RMS scaled".

Dave
"