[sci.electronics] Questions about cordless phones

olson@bootsie.UUCP (Eric Olson) (12/30/90)

I've got a few simple questions about cordless phones:

1.  About 5 years ago, they started selling "new freqency" phones.
    What was new, compared to the old phones?

2.  What frequencies are used by modern ("new frequency") phones?
    AM or FM?  Sidebands?  Are they all exactly the same frequency,
    or do some have different or multiple frequencies?

3.  My roommate has an AT&T cordless phone with 3 "channels".  I
    guessed that they were upper SB, lower SB, and main band.  He
    claimed they were separate frequencies.  What's the scoop?

4.  (Not really a question)  I know there are security codes sent
    between base & handset, my questions don't pertain to those.

Thanks for any info you might have!

Cheers!  Happy New Year!

-Eric

--
Eric K. Olson, Editor, Prepare()       NOTE: olson@bootsie.uucp will not work!
Lexington Software Design              Internet: olson@endor.harvard.edu

dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) (12/30/90)

olson@bootsie.UUCP (Eric Olson) writes:

>1.  About 5 years ago, they started selling "new freqency" phones.
>    What was new, compared to the old phones?

I believe the old cordless phones used to use approximately 27 Mhz and
1700 Khz for duplex operation.  All the newer ones use ~46 Mhz for the
base unit and ~49 Mhz for the handset.

>2.  What frequencies are used by modern ("new frequency") phones?
>    AM or FM?  Sidebands?  Are they all exactly the same frequency,
>    or do some have different or multiple frequencies?

There are ten channel pairs (base, handset).  I'm sure someone will
post the exact frequencies.  I don't have them online just now.
The FM (narrow) mode is used.

>3.  My roommate has an AT&T cordless phone with 3 "channels".  I
>    guessed that they were upper SB, lower SB, and main band.  He
>    claimed they were separate frequencies.  What's the scoop?

You owe your roomie a beer :-)  FM is always used, and the three channels
are actually separate frequencies.

					little david
--
This is my .sig.  n?e  .sgurd no gis. ym si sihT

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (12/31/90)

In article <52@bootsie.UUCP>, olson@bootsie.UUCP (Eric Olson) writes:
> I've got a few simple questions about cordless phones:
>
> 1.  About 5 years ago, they started selling "new freqency" phones.
>     What was new, compared to the old phones?

The old phones used several frequencies around 1.7 MHz for the base
unit to transmit to the handset.  They used channels around 49 MHz
to go from the handset to the base.  The 1.7 Mhz band was phased
out, and now the base units operate at 46 MHz.

> 2.  What frequencies are used by modern ("new frequency") phones?
>     AM or FM?  Sidebands?  Are they all exactly the same frequency,
>     or do some have different or multiple frequencies?

The MODE (which has nothing to do with FREQUENCY) is FM.  There
are ten channels, and here they are:

Base         Handset

46.61 MHz    49.67  MHz
46.63 MHz    49.845 MHz
46.67 MHz    49.86  MHz
46.71 MHz    49.77  MHz
46.73 MHz    49.875 MHz
46.77 MHz    49.83  MHz
46.83 MHz    49.89  MHz
46.87 MHz    49.93  MHz
46.93 MHz    49.99  MHz
46.97 MHz    49.97  MHz

If you listen with a VHF scanner radio, the best listening is on
the base unit side, as this side transmits BOTH sides of the call.

Several handset freqs, including 49.83, 49.845, 49.86, and I think
49.89 MHz are shared with kids walkie talkies, real CHEAP radio
controlled toys, and those wireless "nursery monitors" used in baby's
room.  In fact, if you drive around any residential area with a
scanner, there is a continuous carrier on 49.83 and 49.86 MHz from
all the nursery monitors.

> 3.  My roommate has an AT&T cordless phone with 3 "channels".  I
>     guessed that they were upper SB, lower SB, and main band.  He
>     claimed they were separate frequencies.  What's the scoop?

Yes, it uses three of the channel pairs on the list above.  There
are no tricks with upper and lower SSB.

The FCC recently ruled that the manufacturers do not have to stick
to the assigned channels anymore, as long as they are within the
band, so things should get a LOT more chaotic soon.

> 4.  (Not really a question)  I know there are security codes sent
>     between base & handset, my questions don't pertain to those.

The security code prevents folks from using another cordless phone
to make calls on your base unit.  It does nothing for voice
privacy.  Cordless phones are NOT private.  It is legal to listen
to them, and quite easy.

> Thanks for any info you might have!

You're welcome!

Tad Cook
Seattle, WA
Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544
Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad
or, tad@ssc.UUCP

dalyb@godzilla.UUCP (Brian Daly) (01/04/91)

In article <52@bootsie.UUCP>, olson@bootsie.UUCP (Eric Olson) writes:
> I've got a few simple questions about cordless phones:
>
> 1.  About 5 years ago, they started selling "new freqency" phones.
>     What was new, compared to the old phones?

      The base units of the older sets used 1.69MHz, 1.71 MHz, 1.73 MHz,
      1.75 MHz and 1.77 MHz. The newer sets use 46.61, 46.63, 46.67, 46.71,
      46.73, 46.77, 46.83, 46.87, 46.93, and 46.97 MHz. These new
      frequencies are classified as channels 1 thru 10.

      The handsets of the older units use 49.83, 49.845, 49.86, 49.875,
      and 48.89 MHz. The newer sets use 49.67, 49.77, 49.83, 49.845, 49.86,
      49.875, 49.89, 49.93, 49.97, and 49.99 MHz.

 > 2.  What frequencies are used by modern ("new frequency") phones?
>     AM or FM?  Sidebands?  Are they all exactly the same frequency,
>     or do some have different or multiple frequencies?

      See above... Cordless phones all use frequency modulation (FM).
      Legal cordless phones in the US may operate on the assigned
      frequencies listed above. Every phone may not be on exactly
      the same frequence (since there are 10 channels available).

> 3.  My roommate has an AT&T cordless phone with 3 "channels".  I
>     guessed that they were upper SB, lower SB, and main band.  He
>     claimed they were separate frequencies.  What's the scoop?

      No, cordless phones use FM, so the "upper sideband", "lower
      sideband" scheme is not applicable. 3 channels means 3 frequencies,
      as your roommate claimed.

> 4.  (Not really a question)  I know there are security codes sent
>     between base & handset, my questions don't pertain to those.

--
Brian K. Daly WB7OML @ AG Communication Systems, Phoenix, Arizona
UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!dalyb