[sci.electronics] "Oct-UART"

skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (01/07/91)

Does anyone know of a manufacturer for an "OctUART" chip --
an UART chip which has 8 current channels.  i.e. The Intel
8250 has one channel, the Zilog SCC has two, and this one
has eight.

What I would like to know is the name of the manufacturer,
plus maybe a model number.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

...Sam
--
Internet: <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>	UUCP: {van-bc,ubc-cs,uunet}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl

khoult@bbn.com (Kent Hoult) (01/07/91)

In article <1183@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> skl@wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) writes:
>Does anyone know of a manufacturer for an "OctUART" chip --
>an UART chip which has 8 current channels.

Try the Signetics SCC2698 Octal-UART.
It comes in a 64 pin DIP, or 84 pin PLCC.

Kent Hoult, BBN Communications Corp., Cambridge, MA
khoult@bbn.com  TEL: (617) 873-4385

henden@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Arne A. Henden) (01/07/91)

In article <1183@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> Samuel Lam writes:
>Does anyone know of a manufacturer for an "OctUART" chip --
>an UART chip which has 8 current channels.  i.e. The Intel
>8250 has one channel, the Zilog SCC has two, and this one
>has eight.

I received literature from Systech Corp. (619) 453-8970
back in early 1989 describing their SYC6208P84 8-channel
serial communications controller, also known as OCTART.
It was in an 84-pin PLCC, 8 independent channels at up
to 38.4Kbps per channel, 8char FIFOs on input/output,
full modem control plus XON/XOFF, etc. $61 (1000).
  Don't know if they ever put the chip in full production.
Might check with them and see.  If anyone has used this
chip, I'd be interested in hearing about their success.
Come to think of it, I think the new 8-port cards for
the Sun S-bus also use a single chip.  Good luck.

dens@screech.rice.edu (Dennis Allen Schmitz) (01/08/91)

In article <1183@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> skl@wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) writes:
>Does anyone know of a manufacturer for an "OctUART" chip --
>an UART chip which has 8 current channels.  i.e. The Intel
>8250 has one channel, the Zilog SCC has two, and this one
>has eight.

Signetics makes one. pn SCC2698B.

Later,
dEN

dlk@druco.ATT.COM (KarmannDL) (01/08/91)

In article <1183@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca>, skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) writes:
> Does anyone know of a manufacturer for an "OctUART" chip --

Summary line says it all.

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (01/08/91)

In article <61919@bbn.BBN.COM>, khoult@bbn.com (Kent Hoult) writes...
>In article <1183@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> skl@wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a manufacturer for an "OctUART" chip --
>>an UART chip which has 8 current channels.
>
>Try the Signetics SCC2698 Octal-UART.
>It comes in a 64 pin DIP, or 84 pin PLCC.

The Standard Microsystems 1988 data book lists the COM78808, and COM78C808
octal UARTS, in 68 pin PLCC's.  These are supposed to be identical to the
original chip developed by DEC.  SMC also has quad and dual versions.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks