[sci.electronics] Car Remote Control Lock/Unlock

wrt@steve.cray.com (William Taylor) (01/05/91)

EE hobbyists:

I am interested in installing a remote control lock/unlock for
        my 1990 Honda Accord.  The car has electronic locks and I
        obtained the electronics manual from my Honda dealer.

I purchased a January 1991 Modern Electronics and several adds exist
        for such devices.

If anyone has done this on their own I'd be interested in
        hearing about what parts they used.  If there are some
        magazine articles I should have read I'd like to hear about it.

I'd like the receiver to work on the car's DC power.  The
        transmitter should fit on a keyring and have at least 2
        buttons (1 lock, 1 unlock).  I don't really want to buy
        a whole alarm system for the car.

If this topic was discussed fully before I apologize as I didn't
        begin reading this news group until recently.

Thanks for any help.

--
William Taylor
Cray Research, Inc.

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (01/09/91)

In article <125526.20724@timbuk.cray.com> wrt@steve.cray.com writes:

>EE hobbyists:
>
>I am interested in installing a remote control lock/unlock for
>        my 1990 Honda Accord.  The car has electronic locks and I
>        obtained the electronics manual from my Honda dealer.
>
>I purchased a January 1991 Modern Electronics and several adds exist
>        for such devices.
>
>If anyone has done this on their own I'd be interested in
>        hearing about what parts they used.  If there are some
>        magazine articles I should have read I'd like to hear about it.
>
>I'd like the receiver to work on the car's DC power.  The
>        transmitter should fit on a keyring and have at least 2
>        buttons (1 lock, 1 unlock).  I don't really want to buy
>        a whole alarm system for the car.

Buy a cheap carbine alarm ~$75.00 plus buy the power lock interface
~$50.00 and DON'T hook up the horn.  Easier and a lot less trouble than
trying to build one.  Don't re-invent the wheel when you can buy it cheap.

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */