[sci.electronics] 116% Efficiency!!??

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Michael A. Covington) (12/11/90)

In article <2533@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:
>I apparently don't know enough about Plasma Cutters - Sears sells some
>units that operate on 19 amps, yet produce 22 amps.
>
>Wow!  Once ya get one started can it be connected to itself and used to power
>a light bulb with the excess?

I presume those amps are at different voltages. A transformer (or any of
several other devices) lets you trade volts for amps. You could put in
120 V at 1 A and get out 1 V at 120 A if the transformer were perfectly
efficient.

Total rate of energy consumption is measured in Watts = Volts x Amps.

dag@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (David Geiser) (12/13/90)

Check for neutrons.

tgg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tom Gardner) (12/14/90)

Don't forget, you can have machines that you supply with, say, 1kW of
electricity and which put >1kW of heat into your room. The _useful_
efficiency is thus >100%.

N.B. no, this is in no way a perpetual motion machine, and it does not break
any of the laws of thermodynmaics.

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (12/19/90)

>Don't forget, you can have machines that you supply with, say, 1kW of
>electricity and which put >1kW of heat into your room. The _useful_
>efficiency is thus >100%.

OK, Tom, taking as implied that the 1kW of electricity is the only source
of power for the machine in question, exactly how is this done?

Bob "Inquiring minds would like to know!" M.

tgg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tom Gardner) (12/20/90)

|OK, Tom, taking as implied that the 1kW of electricity is the only source
|of power for the machine in question, exactly how is this done?

Hint: you almost certainly have one of these machine in your house, it's just
that you don't use it in the "correct mode" to get >100% efficiency.

Oh yes, the variant in question is available commercially.

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (12/22/90)

In article <1770028@otter.hpl.hp.com> tgg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tom Gardner) writes:
>|OK, Tom, taking as implied that the 1kW of electricity is the only source
>|of power for the machine in question, exactly how is this done?
>
>Hint: you almost certainly have one of these machine in your house, it's just
>that you don't use it in the "correct mode" to get >100% efficiency.
>
>Oh yes, the variant in question is available commercially.

Heat pump?  (Converting electricity to heat and also pumping heat in
from the outside?)

rwa@cs.athabascau.ca (Ross Alexander) (12/25/90)

tgg@otter.hpl.hp.com (Tom Gardner) writes:

>|OK, Tom, taking as implied that the 1kW of electricity is the only source
>|of power for the machine in question, exactly how is this done?

>Hint: you almost certainly have one of these machine in your house, it's just
>that you don't use it in the "correct mode" to get >100% efficiency.

>Oh yes, the variant in question is available commercially.

Heat exchanger run as a furnace.  Any other questions ??

Ross Alexander    rwa@cs.athabascau.ca    (403) 675 6311    ve6pdq

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (12/27/90)

In article <17660134@hpfcdj.HP.COM> myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:
>someone (must be named 'Tom') wrote:
>>Don't forget, you can have machines that you supply with, say, 1kW of
>>electricity and which put >1kW of heat into your room. The _useful_
>>efficiency is thus >100%.
>
>OK, Tom, taking as implied that the 1kW of electricity is the only source
>of power for the machine in question, exactly how is this done?

Not difficult, really, note the '_useful_' qualifier (I generally use
_effective_ in the same context).  Here's an example (with which I am *very*
familiar :-):

	Ground-coupled heat-pump -- mine has a coefficient of performance (COP)
	of 3.20; this means that 3.2 watts of heat energy is delivered to my
	house for every watt of electric power supplied.  Hence:  320%
	EFFECTIVE Efficiency.

You will quickly note that I weasel-worded my reply, you don't get 'something
for nothing'; the heatpump extracts heat from the ground via a normal
refrigeration cycle and the electric power is *NOT* the only energy input.  But
as far as the dollars are concerned, it's 320% efficient.

Walt K.

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (01/03/91)

OK, OK, OK......I have been reminded of the existence of heat pumps
sufficiently, now, and apologize for not realizing that this was the beast
in question in the first place.  Would everyone PLEASE stop sending e-mail?

Bob "Put your brain in neutral for ONE MINUTE, and see what it gets you...:-))
M.

alien@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Tom von Alten) (01/09/91)

But the prize for best response goes to
  dag@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (David Geiser)