[sci.electronics] Electonic Cat Door

faunt@dirt.cisco.com (Doug Faunt N6TQS 415-688-8269) (01/08/91)

I'm looking for the the source for a "electronic cat door", which is
keyed to something on the cat collar so only your cat can use the
door.  The reference I have is to Staywell, which company I can't find
in our 1988 Thomas.  I need one large enough for a 20lb cat, but need
to keep the neighborhood raccoons out.
Has anyone used one of these, and if so how well did it work, and does
anyone have an address for Staywell or a supplier that has several
sizes of these things.
You can call me at 800-326-1941 x 8269 duing work hours or to leave me
voicemail, or send mail to faunt@cisco.com, or post here.
thanx, doug
--
	faunt@cisco.com	 415-688-8269

paull@hplred.HP.COM (Robert Paull) (01/08/91)

   Doug, check the latest issue of the Heathkit catalog. They have
a home security section. I seem to recall that they sold a cat door
that responds to a signal from a special active collar.

RP

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (01/09/91)

It seems like there was some kind of cat door in the latest Heathkit
catalog as part of their new "Home Automation" pull-out section.

There are some interesting products in there.  It's nice to see
another company start to get serious about home automation.

Speaking of Heathkit's home automation stuff, has anybody tried
the Phonex wireless phone jack (that transmits phone conversations
over the house wiring)?  The ad claimed it could be used with
modems.  I have also seen it in the Damark catalog for 25% less.

Also, what about those telephone-line-powered 2400 baud modems the
size of a DB-25 connector Damark is selling for $70?  Any good?
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (01/10/91)

In article <49968@prls.UUCP> gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:
>In article <FAUNT.91Jan7114920@dirt.cisco.com> faunt@dirt.cisco.com (Doug Faunt N6TQS 415-688-8269) writes:
>>I'm looking for the the source for a "electronic cat door"
>        I didn't know there where any  commercially available.

I am sure that they at least _were_ available.  I know of one that is in my
hometown and probably still not installed.  I recall that it was pricey: ~$150.

--kyler