[sci.electronics] Strange Universal Remote

geurin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Chance) (01/04/91)

I was recently given a Universal Remote (not one that 'learns' other remotes)
with no documentation.  Hence, I can't figure out how to program the thing.
There is a sticker in the battery compartment with a bunch of numbers and
what appears to be a model number:  UR 111 PIP.

The only markings on the front of the remote are the three letters PIP.
It has a three postion switch marked CBL/VCR/TV.  There are also some
unusual buttons on the keypad:  PIP SWAP, PIP FREEZE, PIP POSITION.

Internally, there is just two chips - both made by Motorola.

If anyone knows ANYTHING about this particular remote, I would greatly
appreciate hearing from you.  All hints and suggestions as to how I go
about programming this remote for my particular VCR/TV would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks!

Chance C. Geurin
Naval Ocean Systems Center (NOSC)
geurin@cod.nosc.mil

bobk@hpcuha.cup.hp.com (Bob Kentwortz) (01/09/91)

I expect you know PIP means Picture In Picture.  Is it meant to be programable,
or dedicated for a particular device (TV)?

geurin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Chance) (01/10/91)

From article <31710001@hpcuha.cup.hp.com>, by bobk@hpcuha.cup.hp.com (Bob Kentwortz):
> I expect you know PIP means Picture In Picture.  Is it meant to be programable,
> or dedicated for a particular device (TV)?

I should have been more clear on this.  I know PIP means Picture In Picture,
but in this case, I feel that PIP is the manufacturers name.  PIP is
emblazoned in large letters on the bottom right corner of the remote
(and nothing else; no other name).  It is also part of the model #:
PIP URC 111.  It looks like your typical URC with a TV/VCR/CBL switch.

It is meant to be programmable, but not by another remote (it doesn't learn
other remotes).  I think it has a directory of known remotes permanently
stored, and the user pages through this directory to find one that works
with his/her equipment.  I just don't know the key combinations to press
to program the thing.  I believe this is the way that the One for All (?)
universal remote works.

dennisg@felix.UUCP (Dennis Griesser) (01/10/91)

In article <2628@cod.NOSC.MIL> geurin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Chance) writes:
> I was recently given a Universal Remote (not one that 'learns' other remotes)
> with no documentation.  Hence, I can't figure out how to program the thing.
> There is a sticker in the battery compartment with a bunch of numbers and
> what appears to be a model number:  UR 111 PIP.
>
> The only markings on the front of the remote are the three letters PIP.
> It has a three postion switch marked CBL/VCR/TV.  There are also some
> unusual buttons on the keypad:  PIP SWAP, PIP FREEZE, PIP POSITION.

I am not familiar with the particular unit in question, but I can nail down
some of the terminology for you.

"PIP" means "Picture In a Picture".  It is a feature of some high-end TVs
(usually large screen models) that allows you to watch and listen to one
channel on the big screen and insert a small window that contains a scaled-
down picture from a diferent channel (typically used for browsing for other
shows and shown without sound).

It is not unusual to be able to swap the channels shown in the main image and
the window (your "PIP SWAP" button), and the digital technology used often
allows special features like freeze-frame ("PIP FREEZE") with almost no
additional manufacturing cost.

There are also converter boxes available which give PIP capability to
ordinary TVs and VCRs.  "Rabbit" makes such a converter.  It sounds likely
that you have a remote from such a converter.

The rest of your posting puzzles me.  How "universal" can a "Universal Remote"
be if it can't learn from other remotes?  Are you sure that it really is some
type of universal remote, and not merely using the term as a buzzword?

I have seen some remotes which should be termed "Configurable" rather than
"Universal".  They have a fixed set of pre-programmed IR codes.  You pop open
a hatch on the back and find several sets of DIP switches.  You configure the
remote to talk to your TV by going to the DIP set marked "TV" and setting a
code number for the brand of TV that you have.  Without a guide to the codes,
you will be in for a lot of trial-and-error!

Frankly, unless you have the PIP box that goes with this remote or you can
get programming information on it, it isn't worth your time to fiddle with it.
As a programmable remote.  Go out and buy a real programmable remote.  GOOD
DEAL:  Radio Shack currently has their low-end unit (model 150) on sale this
month.  They want $29.95 (regularly $49.95).  I consider it an excellent
deal and will be buying one tomorrow!

Then you can bundle up this bizarre remote and send it to me to tinker with.
I don't have a PIP box or manual either, but it might have some usable parts
inside.  1/2  :-)

Best of luck to you!