[sci.electronics] line level and op amps

elwood@wam.umd.edu (Jim Bogard) (01/08/91)

Ok, a pair of questions:

1. What exactly _is_ 'line level' defined to be?

2. What's the lowest noise op amp?
   (Don't read too much into this; nothing esoteric, just whatis
   the quietest general purpose op amp. eg, 741,386, etc.)

Thanks.

J-.

--
Jim Bogard  oper014@umuc.umd.edu  jimbo@socrates.umd.edu
                                  elwood@cscwam.umd.edu

disclaimer? I think UM has bigger things to worry about than my opinions.

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.072135.15225@wam.umd.edu> elwood@wam.umd.edu (Jim Bogard) writes:
>Ok, a pair of questions:
>
>1. What exactly _is_ 'line level' defined to be?

I think it's about 1 V peak-to-peak, delivered into a high impedance.

>2. What's the lowest noise op amp?
>   (Don't read too much into this; nothing esoteric, just whatis
>   the quietest general purpose op amp. eg, 741,386, etc.)

Try a TL081/TL082/TL084. These are readily available and are much
better than 741s.

km3t@jjmhome.UUCP (Dave Pascoe KM3T) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.072135.15225@wam.umd.edu>, elwood@wam.umd.edu (Jim Bogard) writes:
> Ok, a pair of questions:
 other stuff deleted

> 2. What's the lowest noise op amp?
>    (Don't read too much into this; nothing esoteric, just whatis
>    the quietest general purpose op amp. eg, 741,386, etc.)

For audio work one of the quietest op-amps I've seen is the LT1115 manufactured
by Linear Technology (Milpitas, CA).  The LT1115 has a voltage noise on the
order of 1.2nV/root Hz at 1kHz (0.9nV typical).  Here are some other specs:

Gain-Bandwidth Product: 40MHz Min.
Slew Rate: 10V/us Min.
Voltage Gain: 2 Million Min.
.002% Total Harmonic Distortion @ 10kHz, Av=-10, R(load)=600 ohms Vo=7Vrms
.0002% Intermodulation Distortion (IMD), CCIF Method, Av=+10, R(load)=600 ohms
Vo=7Vrms

It's a great amp for high quality audio work , like for preamps and any other
type of low noise application (frequency synthesizer).

--
Dave Pascoe | Internet: km3t@jjmhome.m2c.org
KM3T/ZF2PT  | UUCP: km3t@jjmhome.UUCP  or  ...!{harvard}!m2c!jjmhome!km3t

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.072135.15225@wam.umd.edu> elwood@wam.umd.edu (Jim Bogard) writes:
>1. What exactly _is_ 'line level' defined to be?

For consumer products, it is usually somewhere in the neighborhood
of -10dBu=0VU, which is about 250 mV RMS.  Source impedances are
generally less than 10K, and load impedances are generally greater
than 10K

For professional gear, it varies.  The most common level I've seen
on tape decks is +4dBm=0VU.  +4dBm is about 1.2 V RMS and requires
600 ohm source and load impedances.

>2. What's the lowest noise op amp?

The king of the heap still seems to be the 5534 (single) / 5532
(dual).  It has a bipolar input stage that requires a lot of bias
current, and the supply current's kind of high, but it's very low
noise, low distortion, and can directly drive 600 ohm loads.  It's
also fairly old and hence fairly cheap.

There are some newer amps by places like Linear Technology that
have lower noise, but most applications have too high an impedance
to take advantage of it (most resistors generate more thermal noise
than some of these new amps).  Plus, they have either more distortion
or less output drive and cost more.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan8.072135.15225@wam.umd.edu> elwood@wam.umd.edu (Jim Bogard) writes:
>2. What's the lowest noise op amp?
>   (Don't read too much into this; nothing esoteric, just whatis
>   the quietest general purpose op amp. eg, 741,386, etc.)

	Op amps have at least four kinds of noise, and it matters a LOT
which is most important to you.  There is broadband voltage noise,
broadband current noise, low-frequency voltage noise (a combination
of 'excess noise' and drift), and low-frequency current noise (bias
current and bias current drift).
	Most op amps are not tested extensively for noise, but
rather are spot-checked; as a result, many manufacturers don't guarantee
noise performance, but only give typical values.
	Most applications don't need high input impedances on
op amps, and as a result the current noise (especially the bias current)
is relatively unimportant.  For input impedances of 1k ohms or
less, where DC offsets are important, typical low noise op amps
would be uA725, OP-07, OP-27, LM308A, NE5532, RC4136.
	For input impedances of 1k ohms, where DC offsets
are NOT important, one can add some JFET input op amps: LM356 is
adequate, and the TL071 is the low-noise version of the TL081.
	For input impedances of higher than 100 k ohms, generally
one considers ONLY the JFET input op amps.
	Additionally, one can get pre-trimmed op amps (from PMI and
Burr-Brown and Analog Devices, mainly) at higher cost with some
pretty fantastic characteristics.  Unless the source is terribly
low in noise to begin with, though, there's no real point in scrutinizing
the poor op amp.
	A 16-bit D/A converter, for instance, has quantization
error of a dozen microvolts relative to a 1V output; any
op amp with less than 100 nV/root Hertz noise will have negligible
noise by comparison (over the audio frequency range).  In fact,
good CD players have to add noise generators to mask the low-output
'blurble' of digitized sound, 'cuz the op amps don't add in
ENOUGH noise to do it.

	John Whitmore
	whit@milton.u.washington.edu